the begining of a sympathy letter

ziawj2

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2012 08:18 pm
Is the beginning acceptable to native speakers? Is it sound false because of the phrase "I just want you to know how deeply grieved . . . "? Is it more sincere to begin with "I am deeply grieved when hearing . . .". The original letter is:

I just want to know how deeply grieved I am to hear of Robert's death. I have the pleasantest memories of our working together on a nine-month research project two years ago when he was head of IML. I respect him for his firm and upright character as a man and for his incredibly broad knowledge as a scholar.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,232 • Replies: 3
No top replies

nextone

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2012 09:55 pm
@ziawj2,
Dear.......,
I was deeply grieved to hear of Robert's death. I want you to know that I have the most pleasant memories................(The rest is a fine expression of your regard for Robert.)

Your opening did not sound false, but (to me) it was a little wordy. I think the simplest way to say what you mean is often best.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2012 12:29 am
How about "I was deeply saddened to hear...."
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2012 07:54 am
Thank you for writing this letter. It is comforting to the family to hear about their loved one from those who knew them.

"I was saddened to hear" sounds best, IMHO
0 Replies