JPB

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2012 08:25 am
@roger,
It already is 67 for anyone born in 1960 or later. What's to accept?

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/retire2/agereduction.htm
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2012 08:30 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

You clearly don't understand Obamacare. . It was the LACK of Universal Healthcare

You don't understand Obamacare either. It was the "lack of Universal Healthcare" insurance coverage. Now, in Massachusetts, we have by law "Universal HealthCare insurance coverage. Which, by the way, doesn't amount to a hill of beans if no MD will take you health insurance.

You may have Medicare or Medicaid, or another form of health insurance, but if no hospital or doctor will take it, you're out in the cold.

The law states that you have to have "coverage" . It doesn't state that anyone has to take it. No one has to take you as a patient. In the ER, the only duty of the staff is to stabilize you and send you on your way. The bill comes later.

JPB

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2012 08:32 am
@Miller,
Which is why single payer is the way to go. If there's only one payer then docs will take patients from that payer.
revelette

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2012 08:36 am
@Setanta,

Neither does Mitch McConnell, I do wish KY would reject him next time around, but I honestly don't know why the GOP senators don't at least demote him as I can't see what good he does their party since clearly it didn't translate into more GOP senators or a GOP president as he thought it would when he adopted an obstructionist agenda to beat the president. Someone should ask him how that worked out for him.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2012 08:38 am
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

. If there's only one payer then docs will take patients from that payer.

Many physicians, today, will not take health insurance ( medicare, medicaid, private health insurance ) as any form of payment. They will take only cash.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2012 08:47 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
It was the LACK of Universal Healthcare that was the reason your family owed (not millions which I guarantee is a kneejerk bit of hyperbole) whatever large amount of money they owed to the doctors, hospitals, etc.... The large bills came from the pits of hell that is the status quo of the pre-Obamacare (mostly) unregulated health care/insurance industry.

it is not at all unusual to see medical bills in the millions when there is any significant illness or injury

it is one of the reasons some countries/jurisdictions airlift their citizens out of the U.S. when treatment is required (once they are stabilized) - it is ridiculously expensive in the U.S. to get even standard levels of treatment
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2012 08:48 am
@Miller,
The idea that doctors will quit practice and make no money, rather than keep practicing and make less money, is absurd.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2012 08:48 am
@Miller,
Miller wrote:
Many physicians, today, will not take health insurance ( medicare, medicaid, private health insurance ) as any form of payment. They will take only cash.

that is not correct.

Most doctors and facilities in the U.S. will take patients who have insurance - they send the bills directly to the insurer and then dicker about what will be paid.
jespah

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2012 09:05 am
@ehBeth,
I've never been to a doctor, and never knew a doctor, who would not take health insurance. It's the half a loaf concept - the insurance company may be a pain and they may take a lot of discounts, but doctors are also padding in extras, so it tends to even out. Plus insurance companies are generally solvent and can be sued if they don't pay up.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2012 09:10 am
@jespah,
In mmmm errrrrr several decades I've only once had a situation where we had to get money to a doc in the U.S. because they didn't want to deal with insurance (who did they think was sending the money?). Literally tens of thousands of cases, only one instance of "show me the money". Somewhere not too far from where Rockhead is posted.
Ragman

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2012 09:13 am
@jespah,
In the distant (prior to 1999) past, I have had one or two few doctors offices indicated (signs posted) stating they will not take insurance from certain providers (Aetna as an example). One medical office around '96-'98) had BCBS (Blue Cross - Blue Shield) as the one they would not take.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2012 09:16 am
@Miller,
My mother's family, cousins, nieces, an aunt, live in Massachusetts, so does the daughter of my beloved. All of them report NO problems with receiving healthcare.

What is Miller talking about?

Joe(can i get some of it to pour on my rose bushes?)Nation
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
farmerman

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2012 09:54 am
@H2O MAN,
I thought spurt's head exploded and he hadda be hospitalized in Costa Rica with Rush Blimpo
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2012 10:13 am
@Miller,
I don't believe you. Many? How many? Show me the data on the percentage of doctors who won't accept patients unless they pay cash.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2012 10:23 am
@roger,
I wonder why he isn't, considering that he's such a lying, cheating socio-path?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2012 10:26 am
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

izzythepush wrote:

We have never had any form of health insurance, but when she died her medical bills were zero. That's because we have Universal Health Care.

So, who paid all your bills? Were they paid or are they still on the books?

You clearly don't understand the NHS. There are no bills, the NHS provides the services/medicines free, with the exception of the cost of the prescription, which for those who aren't exempt, currently stands at £7.65 per item in England. The NHS is directly funded from tax revenues, just like schools. You don't ask who paid your school bills do you?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2012 10:29 am
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

I truly don't understand the mindset.

And that's where we now stand as a people. Split, essentially down the middle, with either side truly not being able to understand the mindset of the other, and both thinking their's is based on obvious common sense.

izzythepush

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2012 10:30 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I don't think anyone outside America understands the mindset of Republicans. At least the Democrats are fairly normal, if not a bit too right wing for my tastes.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2012 10:34 am
@tsarstepan,
And you understand Obamacare? All 2,000 + pages?

You understand what you have read in articles largely favorable to the legislation.

At this point it doesn't make much sense in arguing about what it will and will not lead to as it is here to stay for the forseeable future.

My understanding is that all the candy was provided immediately after it was passed and all nasty tasting stuff was rear loaded to come into play after the election.

Whether or not this is true will be revealed soon enough.

We should have a pretty good idea of it's impact by 2014 - just in time for the mid-term elections.