Foofie

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 02:26 pm
@revelette,
revelette wrote:

I am curious, do speak that way in real time in your personal life?

Quote:
its supposed concommitant social mores of civility

When I am speaking to an educated person. I post like that. I can also talk like dis: Hey, how's youse doin'?
izzythepush

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 02:51 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

When I am speaking to an educated person. I post like that. I can also talk like dis: Hey, how's youse doin'?

How do you address someone who confuses verbosity with eloquence?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 03:24 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

Oops. In that case, Foofie, you must have talked to semi-educated people. Or to say it more precisely: to double-educated persons.
Latin con- (“together”) plus Latin comitari (“to company”) > French concomitant > English concomitant.

And when an educated person person uses substantive in a foreign language (here: Latin mores), he certainly would use the adequate adjective (here: sociales).
revelette

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 09:11 am
@Foofie,
Actually if you were speaking to me you would use the southern, "How ya'll doin." "Youse" is a northern word. But only if you were speaking to more than one person. Otherwise, you would more likely say, "how ya been doin?" Or just "how ya been?"
revelette

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 10:01 am
John McCain in 2005 in the nomination of Condoleezza Rice.

Quote:
President Obama has yet to nominate anyone to succeed Hillary Clinton as Secretary of State, but Republicans are already lining up in opposition to potential replacement U.N. Ambassador Susan Rice, citing her complicity in the administration’s alleged failures in responding to the attacks in Benghazi, Libya.

On Wednesday, Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) promised to filibuster Rice’s nomination and “do whatever to block the nomination that is within our power.” “She’s not qualified,” McCain explained, arguing that she misled the public by initially attributing the September 11 Benghazi attack to protests over an anti-Islam video. He claimed that at a minimum, Rice is guilty of “not being very bright, because it was obvious that this was not a ‘flash mob’ and there was additional information by the time she went on every news show…in America.”

But interestingly, McCain took a far different approach to another Rice in 2005. When President George W. Bush nominated National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice to the post, McCain defended the nomination, despite Rice’s central role in spreading the false intelligence that Saddam Hussein was developing weapons of mass destruction. The Democrats held hours of hearing and ultimately confirmed Rice, but not before McCain accused the opposition of using politics to delay her confirmation and challenging her “integrity”:

McCAIN: Condoleezza Rice is a great American success story. This is what America is all about. A young woman who grew up in a segregated part of America where Americans were not treated equally, to rise to the position of secretary of state. We should have been celebrating, I believe, this remarkable American success story.

Also, I thought that some of the remarks — and I’m not going to mention my colleagues’ names — some of the remarks aimed at her during the hearings challenged her integrity. We can disagree on policy and we disagree on a lot of things, but I think it is very clear that Condoleezza Rice is a person of integrity. And yes, I see this, some lingering bitterness over a very tough campaign. I hope it dissipates soon.

“I can only conclude we’re doing this for no other reason than because of lingering bitterness at the outcome of the elections,” McCain told CBS Morning News on January 27, 2005.

Seven years later, there is no evidence that Susan Rice mislead the public, yet McCain is leading the charge to oppose her. Rice was “speaking from a set of talking points provided by the U.S. intelligence community, which was also provided to Congress. The video has also been cited by those on the ground as being an impetus for the attack in recent weeks, challenging the Republican narrative.”

During a press conference on Wednesday, Obama defended Rice, saying that the has “done exemplary work.” Rice “gave her best understanding of the intelligence that had been provided to her,” he said, adding that for McCain “to go after the U.N. ambassador who had nothing to do with Benghazi, who was giving a presentation based on the intelligence she had received…is outrageous.”

Update

BuzzFeed’s Zeke Miller notes that Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-NC), who is also opposing Susan Rice, backed Condoleezza. “[E]very intelligence agency in the world was misled. And to connect those two to say that she’s a liar is very unfair, over the line.”

links with source

Quote:
Quote:
"We know that he has the infrastructure, nuclear scientists to make a nuclear weapon," she told me. "And we know that when the inspectors assessed this after the Gulf War, he was far, far closer to a crude nuclear device than anybody thought -- maybe six months from a crude nuclear device."

"The problem here is that there will always be some uncertainty about how quickly he can acquire nuclear weapons. But we don't want the smoking gun to be a mushroom cloud."

CNN 2003
Foofie

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 11:16 am
@revelette,
revelette wrote:

Actually if you were speaking to me you would use the southern, "How ya'll doin." "Youse" is a northern word. But only if you were speaking to more than one person. Otherwise, you would more likely say, "how ya been doin?" Or just "how ya been?"

Okey, dokey.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 11:24 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Foofie wrote:

Oops. In that case, Foofie, you must have talked to semi-educated people. Or to say it more precisely: to double-educated persons.
Latin con- (“together”) plus Latin comitari (“to company”) > French concomitant > English concomitant.

And when an educated person person uses substantive in a foreign language (here: Latin mores), he certainly would use the adequate adjective (here: sociales).

The U.S. is filled with folks that consider intellectual pursuits anathema. So, the vernacular uses many words from the old German, not the words with Latin roots.

Having a large vocabulary is really only valued when reading certain books; otherwise, I just talk like the common person. My accent gives away my background of a New Yorker originally from a certain class.
snood

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 11:29 am
@revelette,
I was just watching McCain on TV gruffly proclaiming he would do everything in his power to oppose Susan Rice becoming Secretary of State. The overwhelming impression that comes through to me is a guy who just never got over the ass-whupping he got in 2008.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 11:29 am
@Foofie,
I wasn't asking about that nor questioning it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 11:32 am
Denny's Franchisee Imposes Surcharge For Obamacare

Quote:
Despite the one-two hit his employees might take with possibly fewer hours and lower tips, Metz said he is not anti-insurance. His current coverage for full-time employees costs him $5,000 to $6,000 annually, he said. "Obviously, I'd love to cover all our employees under that insurance," he said, "But to pay $5,000 per employee would cost us $175,000 per restaurant, and unfortunately, most of our restaurants don't make $175,000 a year. I can't afford it."

If his restaurants aren't making $175,000/year why are they still open?
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 11:33 am
@ehBeth,
Talk is cheap; we need to see his tax returns to decide for ourselves whether what he says is true.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 11:36 am
What kind of cheap ass insurance does he have? The small business i last worked for paid $1200+ per month in health premiums, for nine full-time permanent employees, with dependent coverage for three of them. Thats almost $15,000 per annum.
Foofie

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 11:37 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

I was just watching McCain on TV gruffly proclaiming he would do everything in his power to oppose Susan Rice becoming Secretary of State. The overwhelming impression that comes through to me is a guy who just never got over the ass-whupping he got in 2008.

"Ass-whupping"? Would you define that as 19th century vernacular, or Dixie vernacular? Regardless, there are some that believe that the Republicans never wanted to win that election, since it was time (for our society) to have a Black president. But, you will believe what you want, and enjoy an apparent Republican defeat, reminiscent of Charlie Parker's "Struttin' With Some Barbecue."
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 11:48 am
@Foofie,
Elections in this country is no longer "white" majority. Live with it.
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 11:58 am

Weekly jobless claims rose for the week ending 11/3/12.

Both Pennsylvania (7,766) and Ohio (6,450) lost more jobs,
thanks to layoffs in auto manufacturing and other industries.
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 12:03 pm

ObamaCare fuels inflation

Florida restaurateur to impose surcharge for ObamaCare
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 12:15 pm
@H2O MAN,
You,
Quote:
thanks to layoffs in auto manufacturing and other industries.

Talk about sore losers, being thankful for job loss is beyond politics.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 12:16 pm
@H2O MAN,
To base anything on one anecdotal information from FOX News is the height of total ignorance, but you prove that post after post.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 12:22 pm
@Setanta,
His numbers sound about right to me. In 2007, my portion was $1700 for the year, that was roughly 1/3 of the total premium. It was good insurance, too. One week in hospital and two weeks in rehab hospital left me $1000 out of pocket. Prescriptions were filled at $20.00. Life was good.

That was single person coverage. Family was significantly more.

Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 12:35 pm
@roger,
So, you think he was running a Denny's with three or four employees? Or maybe you mean he was seriously cheapskating his employees.