jcboy

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 06:14 am
Full marriage equality! Maryland, Maine, and Washington voted to legalize same-sex marriage. Minnesota voted against a constitutional ban on it. Meanwhile in Florida we still don't know who we voted for in the presidential race and I'm guessing somewhere behind the scenes our Republican-controlled legislature is preparing a constitutional amendment for 2014 that re-affirms our already existing same-sex marriage ban. You know, just to make sure gays know they are not equal in Florida.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 06:18 am
@Joe Nation,
Mr. Obama no longer need look to a future election, and i doubt that Mr. Biden will be the standard bearer in four years. Mr. Obama needs to lean on the House Republicans and hold them up as obstructionists who are fiscally irresponsible at every turn now. He needs to get tough with them. If he doesn't, he will have squandered this opportunity he has won.

Now to read what others have said.
djjd62

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 06:19 am
@Setanta,
exactly
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 06:20 am
@farmerman,
At 2am this morning with 86% precincts reporting, it was something like a 700k vote difference - 54m to 53.3 m votes.

I just looked again and the reports state that he won by a margin of around 1.5M:

Total: 59,318,294 - 56,813,078

50.3% - 48.2%
solipsister

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 06:22 am
@Joe Nation,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperinflation
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 06:33 am
@OmSigDAVID,
My daughter very much thinks for herself. With all this Borg talk I think you're being alarmist. I can't see it ever happening.
Ragman

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 07:27 am
@Ragman,
oops...make that 2.5m
0 Replies

ronc0011

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 07:56 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Netanyahu has unambiguously tied himself to the Birther movement. Obama should tell Israel that if they don't stop building illegal settlements on occupied land all American aid will stop.

Oh, and no more military adventures in the Middle East.

That should make the world a safer, and better, place.

any hope of that is over , gone, and finished.
LOL, LOL, Ha, you ain't seen nothing yet. I plan to laugh all the way through it.

America is too stupid to survive. It's called natural selection.
0 Replies

ronc0011

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 08:19 am
Ouuuu... This is just going to be too funny I should start a list thread of all the things that you can say good bye to. I'm thinking one of the first things you can kiss good bye is the internet as you have come to know it. As it exist now, the internet is far to active and accessible an instrument of free speech. For instance for about $100 virtually anyone can put up a website and say anything they want. The individual is currently free to openly oppose the government on a platform that can reach everyone everywhere everyday all day. The government that Obama and the liberal democrats envision for us cannot afford a truly free exchange of ideas . Period. They must stop the internet. Their world cannot survive with free speech.
Builder

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 08:29 am
@ronc0011,
Websites are free ronc.

Its the content that can be the problem.
Setanta

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 08:55 am
Self-delusion is a sad thing to watch.
revelette

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 09:08 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Obama should be tailoring his Supreme court candidates list.

True that.

When all is said and done, something has to happen or else all those tax hikes and cut backs will come into play which no one wants to happen. I mean its time for congress to start acting like grown ups and stop listening to idiots like Donald Trump.

Quote:
For months, Americans have been watching the presidential political drama play out nightly on the news. Now, with President Obama's victory, that story is ending.

But for the economy, an action thriller is just beginning.

Congress has just weeks to jump to the rescue of an economy moving closer and closer to the so-called fiscal cliff. That phrase refers to a $600 billion cluster of automatic spending cuts and tax hikes — all coming together at year's end.

Private economists, along with the Congressional Budget Office, warn that unless the lame-duck Congress takes action within weeks, the coming budget changes could push the economy over a metaphorical cliff and down into another recession.

After Tuesday's election results became clear, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., said in a statement that lawmakers "have big challenges facing us in the months ahead." He added that "Democrats and Republicans must come together, and show that we are up to the challenge. This is no time for excuses. This is no time for putting things off until later."

The consequences of inaction would be so grave that most economists believe lawmakers will find the hero in themselves and come together now that the election is over.

"Our mantra is: 'They really can't be that stupid,' " Chris Varvares, president of Macroeconomic Advisers LLC, said on a conference call organized by the National Association for Business Economics.

More at the source

DrewDad

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 09:10 am
@Setanta,
Not always.

I found watching Finn, McGentrix, and Waterboy to be absolutely hilarious in the last week or so.
ronc0011

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 09:17 am
@Builder,
Builder wrote:

Websites are free ronc.

Its the content that can be the problem.

Ya see that's the problem , that's why I say America is too stupid to survive. it's going to cost you a minimum of about $4 to register a domain and then hosting is going to run you about $10 a month depending on the hosting package you get. In other words it's going to be somewhere in the neighborhood of $100 a year for your website.

Unless you are talking about something like "Squidoo" well I guarantee you those guys are going to toe the line just like they are told to do your "Website" will comply with Squidoo's rules and regulations i.e. "Terms of Use". That's the secret about things that are given to you free.
djjd62

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 09:20 am
@ronc0011,
why would the average person start a website that virtually nobody will see

most folks who speak out against the government, religion, global warning, etc use message boards or comments on various news sites
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 09:24 am
@Builder,
On Newsnight last night Martin Amis was saying how depressing it is that Ronald Reagan would be deemed too left wing for today's Republican party, and asked the rest of us to imagine a Tory party where Thatcher was viewed as too much of a Commie.

Roncoo is symptomatic of the frothing-at-the-mouth insanity that passes as debate in the world of the Tea Party.

Personally I blame Fox News. People actually believe the bullshit they churn out.

Roncoo obviously needs professional help.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 09:25 am
@DrewDad,
Sure . . . funny, hilarious even . . . but still sad.
Miller

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 11:00 am
The DJIA is down at this time by 318.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 11:02 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

My daughter very much thinks for herself.
Salesmanship will prevail.
If I got another dog (not at all likely), there 's a good chance
that I 'd have a GPS system subcutaneously installed in him; that 's popular.
( I really hated, going out looking for him, when he got lost.)
Parents will passionately want to get back lost kids or kidnapped ones.
Its only a question of time b4 movements will arise to have Low Jack
installed by obstetricians WITHOUT even asking the parents, becoming required by law,
in the same spirit of mandatory seatbelt use laws. Opponents to the surveillance philosophy
will be deemed "irresponsible" and emotional examples will be adduced in support
of government being continually reported the exact place on the globe of each citizen 24/7/365.

Thay will inevitably be improved with medical telemetry to radio alarms of strokes
and of heart attacks and of orgasms (and with WHOM) to government; confirmatory paperwork
from the citizen, to follow. Ideal criteria will be established; maybe in your country called: "Royal Criteria".
Survivors of government ambulance rescues from such emergencies will be poetically effusive
in PUBLIC expressions of their gratitude, eagerly supported by their parents, wives, children & creditors.

Individualism will fall into disrepute; personal liberty (or privacy)
will be deemed re-calcitrant, unpatriotic & prima facie evidence of stupidity.

After privacy & personal liberty have been discredited n rejected,
questions inevitably will arise concerning what magnitude, what DEGREE, of infraction will be tolerated,
or what government rules will call down upon the citizen either a SWAT Team,
or merely a memo in the mail noting that infraction (e.g., the person's speed along a road,
or his blood alcohol level while dining or whatever he chose to smoke) and imposing a fine, or community service.
While all this is being monitored (presumably by computer), how about the spoken word?
What if that citizen is planning to be violent, for any reason? Rebellion? Disloyalty?

izzythepush wrote:
With all this Borg talk I think you're being alarmist.
I remember that word.
In the summer of 1962, John Kennedy accused Sen. Capehart of Indiana
of being "an alarmist" when the Senator announced that
the communists were installing nuclear missles in Cuba.

Kennedy saved that for his October surprize to successfully
influence the results of the Congressional Elections of 1962.
(Then he took out anti-communist American missles from Turkey,
in exchange for the Reds taking theirs out of Cuba.
I don't believe that he ever apologized to Sen. Capeheart.
Woud that failure be considered rude or dishonest, in England, Izzy???)

izzythepush wrote:

I can't see it ever happening.
To your knowledge,
has there ever been a means of surveillance invented
that government has NOT employed upon its population ?

Is there ANY political movement (other than ordinary libertarianism)
which resists government intrusion and oppression after government offers
a really neat, sweet, nifty ATTRACTIVE set of justifications, using words like "unity" ?

Is ANYONE pushing back in the opposite direction,
in support of personal freedom?????????

This Republic was founded upon the concept that Sovereignty was in the Individual Citizen,
not in the object of his creation: government, which had only a few delegated powers,
tossed to it by its politically stingy owners and creators.
It was then clear that IT worked for us;
WE did not work for IT.

Is ANYONE but me pointing out
that 1. personal liberty and 2. jurisdiction of government are INVERSELY PROPORTIONAL ?????

Will those concepts be lost in time (or lack of interest??) and reversed ?

The worst danger that I can imagine in this regard
is medical discovery of means of arresting or of reversing the aging of human body cells.

Our refuge, our haven, has been natural age-based human death.
What if that is delayed, in these circumstances ????????

Will Ike and Patton come running to the rescue again ?

Do u think the Mayans will save us on Dec. 21st, Izzy ?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 11:03 am
@Setanta,
The repubs did very well but lost this battle, but that is not the takaway here. Smart people will take note that the increasing polorization of this nation continues, which means that we are no where near ready to work together for the common good. My prediction is the political failure caused financial crisis (depression) will end up being what makes us ready.