JPB

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2012 10:00 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I hope it works out for you.

Send us a postcard.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2012 10:10 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
You go for it Finn. It'll be real laugh if these guys get in.

Quote:
In their proclamation, the Honduran communists adhere to the “anti-imperialist, anti-colonial, anti-oligarchic, and anti-clerical spirit of Francisco Morazan.” They recognize him as among the great liberators “that inspire our struggle,” they emphasize.

“We reiterate our decision to be with the Honduran people in their struggle for refoundation of the country, as also with the struggle of all peoples of the world for their definitive liberation and true independence, their resistance to imperialism and to various modes of exploitation and oppression of humanity.”

http://mltoday.com/subject-areas/national-liberation/honduran-communists-reactivate-party-1171.html

I'm sure they can rely on nearby Venezuela for support, and I can't see Obama shedding any tears when your fascist enclaves go tits up.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2012 11:05 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Free City - Very tempting.
I'd thought that the hight court in Tegucigalpa declared it to be against the constitution? What I've read (but my Spanish isn't good at all) MKG Group had stopped all activities until there's a final decision by the highest court. (There have been large demonstrations against this town in Honduras.)

I can understand such, I wouldn't like some (there are plans for several of such towns) extraterritorial spots in my country, too. And I sincerely doubt that you can do so in most countries.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2012 11:16 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Well, their Supreme Court did rule a Coup d'Etat as being legal....
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2012 11:19 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Free City - Very tempting.
I'd thought that the hight court in Tegucigalpa declared it to be against the constitution? What I've read (but my Spanish isn't good at all) MKG Group had stopped all activities until there's a final decision by the highest court. (There have been large demonstrations against this town in Honduras.)

No spoilers Walter! Mad We need Finn to tell us this from a first person perspective.

More plot spoilers:
Quote:
Honduras, the second poorest country in Central America, suffers from extraordinarily unequal distribution of income, as well as high underemployment.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ho.html

Maybe anyone foo... um... heroic enough to live in this tax minimalist Utopia... Rolling Eyes SHOULD consider buying a Kidnap and Ransom Insurance policy. Especially since this private town will have an underpaid and understaffed police force at best.
http://www.jltgroup.com/content/UK/risk_and_insurance/brochures/KandR_brochures/263632_KidnapRansomBrochInside.pdf
DrewDad

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2012 11:44 am
@tsarstepan,
Sounds like a thug's Libertarian paradise.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2012 05:04 pm
@JPB,
Won't need to. They will, obviously, have access to the internet.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2012 05:05 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Maybe so Walter.

I'd heard of this before, but this was the first article I've seen.

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2012 05:07 pm
@izzythepush,
It take a Banana Republic to allow investors this much leeway, so the threat of political upheaval goes with the territory.

Probably the main reason why this will never get off the ground.
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 08:42 am
Obama stays in office - now what?

More layoffs and plant closings.
Hostess closes St. Louis plant

Unions gambled and lost!
ehBeth

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 08:44 am
@H2O MAN,
they filed for bankruptcy in January
about bloody time they started making some serious moves
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 08:51 am

Now what, USA?

Do any of you honestly expect the dismal situation in the
USA to improve under BHO's recently extended reign Question

In what way?

How?
sozobe

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 08:57 am
@H2O MAN,
Gosh, lots of ways.

I expect he will be able to continue to help the economy recover.

There will likely be a couple of Supreme Court appointments made during his next term, and I expect him to select fair-minded scholars who won't erode liberties (Roe vs. Wade, etc.)

I expect that he won't rush into war, nor engage in macho sabre-rattling that would make war more likely. While also continuing to draw down/ end the war in Afghanistan.

There will likely be more movement towards alternative energies and innovation in general.

There may be some actual progress made re: climate change.

The ACA is now the law of the land, and a lot of its most important provisions will be kicking in soon.

Etc., etc., etc.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 09:05 am
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:
BHO's recently extended reign Question

If your president was actually a king or emperor he'd already have chopped off the heads of uncooperative Americans, so you're doing ok so far.

If your president was king or emperor he wouldn't have to work with the House and Senate. Maybe you can spend some of your boundless energy encouraging Congressmen/women and Senators to work with the President of the United States instead of working against him. You have some responsibility in making sure America works well.

He's not your ruler, he's your President.

~~~

What are you doing to work with the rest of your country to make it successful?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 09:08 am
Nancy Pelosi has announced another run for Minority Leader. I'm not sure if that's a good idea or not. She's mighty polarizing.
Ragman

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 09:35 am
@JPB,
You say that like polarizing under these circumstances is a bad thing. How can someone with a conscience NOT be polarizing with these do-nothing-but-obstruct-legislators (teabaggers and carpetbaggers anonymous)?
izzythepush

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 09:38 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I know how you're feeling Finn. It's one of the stages of grief, anger. I felt exactly the same in 1992 when the Tories got back in.

At least you're sensible enough to realise that threatening to go off and live in a Honduran enclave is a really stupid idea.

If you're interested in pseudo countries you might want to check out the following.

Quote:
Christiania, also known as Freetown Christiania (Danish: Fristaden Christiania) is a self-proclaimed autonomous neighbourhood of about 850 residents, covering 34 hectares (84 acres) in the borough of Christianshavn in the Danish capital Copenhagen. Civic authorities in Copenhagen regard Christiania as a large commune, but the area has a unique status in that it is regulated by a special law, the Christiania Law of 1989 which transfers parts of the supervision of the area from the municipality of Copenhagen to the state. It was closed by residents in April 2011, whilst discussions continued with the Danish government as to its future, but is now open again.

Christiania has been a source of controversy since its creation in a squatted military area in 1971. Its cannabis trade was tolerated by authorities until 2004. Since then, measures for normalising the legal status of the community have led to conflicts, and negotiations are ongoing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freetown_Christiania

Although you'll probably find you're out of kilter with the rest politically, you can just tell them you're an old hippy.

Maybe you'd like to become a lord of Sealand.

http://www.sealandgov.org/

http://sometimesinteresting.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/sealand-1.jpg

What a view! If you ask them nicely, they might let you rub shoulders with a gang of East End villains.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 09:39 am
@Ragman,
I'll spare you my anti-two-party-government screed. I don't like that we have "sides" who are so far apart that they see the middle (where most Americans reside, imho) as something to be avoided. We have a divided government. We've just finished an election that returned a still divided if slightly less obstructionist makeup to do a job. McConnell just got reelected to his position too, apparently. I truly hope we aren't setting ourselves up for four more years of the same "gotcha" bullshit.
Ragman

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 10:01 am
@JPB,
I agree wholeheartedly. There's far too much at stake in the balance.

My personal need is to see someone get mad at the level of incompetence and poor morality of this bunch.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 10:34 am
http://tinotopia.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/200701271144.jpg
0 Replies