Ashcroft in ICU

Umbagog

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 08:54 pm
Good question, Craven. I posted all that judgement for a reason, to evoke questions just like the one you asked. Hopefully, with a little time and effort, you can find your own answer.
0 Replies

Umbagog

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 08:58 pm
I too went off on being preachy. It isn't wrong to heap venom on people, but it's wrong to say it is wrong. We all do it, so saying it's bad is self-incrimination. I'm a downright radical element, not quite underground yet, but on my way the way things are going lately. I prefer liberals to conservatives anyday, but I'll blast an idiot for the sheer pleasure of it. Politics need not be part of it. And yes, I can be an irritating little dick. Can't help myself.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 09:08 pm
Umbagog wrote:
Good question, Craven. I posted all that judgement for a reason, to evoke questions just like the one you asked. Hopefully, with a little time and effort, you can find your own answer.

I already had my answer.

You are trying to equate your opinion with being "awake" and trying to disparage the dissenting opinions as somehow less enlightened and "blind" to your position, which you consider to be self-evident truth.

In so doing you get the comfortable notion that you are just aware of all this stuff that other's are ignorant of. Thusly characterizing their opinions as based on ignorance.

It's a convenient method of convincing yourself that your position is the "truth" that others need to "wake" up to.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 09:56 pm
That's how Abuzz works now and why it is such a sewar
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2004 08:29 pm
0 Replies

Umbagog

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 01:47 pm
No one has the edge on righteousness, even though they all think they do. I never promised anyone a rose garden, but I can take that weedy corner of your property and turn it into an awesome perennial garden if you like. None of us are divorced from our feelings, and to stifle them is to ask for health problems down the road.

I guess you could say for the most part, I am a laid back liberal. But sometimes my views are harshly conservative, especially where evil is concerned. You can't chastise evil. You need an elephant to stamp out the burning ducks, or else they WILL set you on fire too.

Ashcroft needs to have his gall bladder removed. If that is what it takes to stop him dead from persecuting his fellow Americans, then so be it. None of us are responsible for his pain and suffering. All of us are generally responsible for our own, though.

All I can say here is that to assume I am something carved in stone is really jumping to the quick. I am a complex individual and capable of taking a variety of positions, from the crass to the profound and back again. It is my greatest strength - that of being adaptable or capable of looking outside myself, or inside, as the case may be. The truth really will set you free, even if some find it distasteful. You see, I am capable of fighting tooth and nail for the underdog, and I'll stamp out burning ducks without remorse. And I can be as vicious as the next when appropriate. Boxing yourself into little corners in your mind is a good way to end up insane. We are creatures of darkness as well as light, and to deny the truths about yourself will lead to insanity to some degree or another. Free speech sums all this up nicely.

If you don't rattle the bars once in a while, you may forget you are in a cage.

For me, Ashcroft represents the total personification of evil, and he deserves what is happening to him. If you disagree, by all means, exemplify his virtues if you can.

The site says to question, not attack, or else prove someone wrong without judging them, and here we have the owner of the site judging people for daring to speak out on their gut feelings.

Somehow in all that I sense a little hypocrisy - you know, do as I say, not as I do.

By all means, convince me that Ashcroft isn't the demon I think he is. I'm open-minded, and I always award intelligence by agreeing with it. But to judge me for my opinion doesn't seem to fit the billing here.

But then again, no one is perfect. And I agree, a little less judging and a little more evidence would go far to solving problems in this country. But we still have some serious growing up to do before we reach that stage. Gay marriage is the perfect billing for that maturity, or lack therein also. Which way will it go? If I could answer that, I wouldn't need a job right now.
0 Replies

Umbagog

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 01:58 pm
And as me being a great boon for the right....well, no one hates me more than the right because I have a very irritating way of proving them wrong on a variety of issues involved with their ideology. As we go along here, you will find that to become abundantly clear. I UNDERSTAND the ideology of left and right, and there is massive confusion about these two opposites that passes for modern intelligence...which is fortunately, easy to prove wrong.

The right, I guarantee you, does not see me as a boon. I have been utterly villified by the right on Abuzz.com to the point of absurdity. No insult is disparaging enough in their attempts to shut me up. They hate being proven wrong for one thing, or for being exposed for the political hacks they are. I mean, they HATE it. On Abuzz, I am an AIDS-ridden homosexual pederast child molester, welfare receiving lazy American traitor bent on destroying America and worse, all because I choose to demonstrate how the right is actually dead wrong on so many issues.

Do I care? Not in the slightest. Their villification of me only proves I am scoring hits against them, so if that is a boon to the right, let me straighten you out on this one point....BOOM is a better word to describe me and the right. You know you are getting under someone's skin when they resort to personal derogatory and inflammatory insults instead of debate and evidence as should be the case. Of course, the right has to behave itself on this site, and they flirt with not being nice even as it is.

I'm curious to see how many booms it will take to get them raving against me here too. I mean, maintaining an intellectual distance and offering counterpoints to evidence the wrong is what I excel at. It's rare indeed for me to go after someone's throat, as that is the wrong way to play this game of check and balance in a forum of debate. It's what makes me so darn irrritating to the right that they have to virtually demonize me in a vain attempt to shut me up. And when someone cannot maintain intellectual distance, you know you have them on the run.

Is this an ad hominen attack? Or is it the simple truth? Of course, none of us have any real way to determine yes or no here. But I assure you, I don't have time for lies or distortions. The truth serves best here, and I stick to it. Truth be told, I hate Ashcroft worse than I hate Bush, which is no simple statement. It's hard to remain objective when hate blinds you into seeing red instead of rosey. For that I apologize, but no one is going to change my opinion on this American traitor.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 02:00 pm
Umbagog wrote:
After 20 years of cocaine and alcohol abuse, if you think Bush doesn't have health/mental problems, you are overlooking a lot of scientific fact of what the combination of these two drugs does to a human brain. We see evidence of it every time Bush opens his mouth. He is reputed to being injected weekly to compensate for the brain damage so that he can speak properly. Obviously, the medication isn't working.

Uh, just what kind of injection would that be? Never heard of such a cure. I'm sure alot of brain damaged people in the world would like to get their hands on that. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Umbagog

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 02:14 pm
I really don't get THAT hysterical, hobit. Abuzz is an entirely different jungle than this one.

As to what they are compensating Bush with, I have no idea. I am only saying there is a rumor going around that he gets treated on a weekly basis to keep his mind connected to his mouth. I'm not a doctor, so I don't know what it could be, but it's probably something along the lines of methodone for heroin junkies to help them get through that long-term withdrawal. I can say this though. I quit smoking cigarettes recently, and lo and behold, WATER is the best way to shed the cravings. Don't waste your money on patches and pills. Just drink a lot of water.

OK, I ranted. It was a spill over from Abuzz. When you get attacked all the time, you tend to come out swinging. I haven't gotten into this site too deeply yet, but I guarantee you I am logical, and that many agree with my positions ( not always of course. I'm not a genius or anything ) And the right never will admit I am right - only that I am always wrong, and I know that isn't true. That is the source of any antagonism I generate. I strive to demonstrate the fallacies of rightwind ideology, and though perfectly polite, it is still flinging mud in their face, and who likes that? Especially the types that categorically refuse to admit they are ever wrong about anything.

I am not one of those. If you are right, savvy, brilliant, clever, astounding, amazing, or downright intelligent, clear, concise or right to the point, I will acknowledge it and salute you for it. And I am humble enough not to expect it back. People think they know me and then I shock the hell out of them because they discover another layer they never knew existed. I even amaze myself on occassion, but that is another story.
0 Replies

Umbagog

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 02:19 pm
Don't hate me because I am beautiful darlings.

"We are all beautiful in every single way, words don't bring me down. We are beautiful no matter what they say, words don't bring me down, ...don't you bring me down, today..."

Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Umbagog

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 02:23 pm
"It's a convenient method of convincing yourself that your position is the "truth" that others need to "wake" up to."

This is a mighty big whopper of an assumption.

I share what I have learned along the way with others as it relates to the discussion they are engaged in. If they see the connection, then fine. If not, then oh well. Truth is truth. You can't impose it, you can't force others to see it. You can only share it and let them decide for themselves if it makes sense or not. Of course, you can't know for sure if what I am typing is truth or not, but that is where trust comes in, and trust must be earned, not expected. Let's have this conversation in 6 months from now, and let's decide if you still think I am an arrogance pussbag full of hot air and signifying nothing, kay?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 02:23 pm
Ashcroft's gall bladder
Is now rid of its owner.
How I envy it.
0 Replies

Umbagog

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 02:38 pm
Can you live without a gall bladder? I mean, what is the substitute? Scientifically curious here, not intending to smear anyone...
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 02:56 pm
Many women from 16-45 (the most common group that suffers from cholycystitis) seem to function quite well sans gallbladders.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 03:00 pm
Umbagog wrote:
Truth is truth. You can't impose it, you can't force others to see it. You can only share it and let them decide for themselves if it makes sense or not.

In other words you declare yourself to own said truth and others merely need to "see" it.

Quote:
Of course, you can't know for sure if what I am typing is truth or not, but that is where trust comes in, and trust must be earned, not expected. Let's have this conversation in 6 months from now, and let's decide if you still think I am an arrogance pussbag full of hot air and signifying nothing, kay?

This has nothing to do with trust. It's about subjectivity and this not being a matter of truth at all.

If I said: Chocolate icecream is the best flavor of icecream would I hold the "truth"?

Would it make someone who asserts that Vanilla is the best a person who needs to "wake up"?

See, you were saying that myself, sozobe and the others who indicated that it was untoward to celebrate Ashcroft's misfortion needed to "wake up".

This implies that the "truth" is that you are right to do such things and that dissenting opinions are simply misheld falsehoods.

This is a perfect example of asserting absolutism about a subjective difference of opinion.

If I think it's untoward and you don't I think it's a difference of opinion, not a "truth" that you need to "wake up" to.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 03:16 pm
I said it earlier and I will restate it here, it doesn't matter what your personal feelings are about a person, you shouldn't ever take joy in someone elses pain.

Wishing with glee for another person's death is just disgusting and perhaps a sign that you hold only a tenuous grasp on your humanity.

It is amazing to me that the most vocal people screaming for Ashcroft to die a painful death are the far leftists that we have here. (Not all of them mind you, but look at the posts)

You are supposed to represent the 'compassionate' party and here you are circling with glee like a pack of vultures .... no excuse me, thats an insult to vultures... at least they are just reacting to natures call, they take no joy in the suffering of their prey . Only the animals that posted here did that.

Just my 2 cents (pre tax)
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 03:47 pm
Let him live and be well, and decide that public life is too stressful for his digestion! Very Happy
0 Replies