Can you help me with my prescription instructions?

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2012 06:23 pm
I'm having my wisdom teeth removed tomorrow and I suddenly got so many prescriptions! I want to make sure I take everything correctly because I'm really scared of the pain! But it's tomorrow, so I'd like some advice.

Here are the prescriptions and their directions:

1. Dexamethasone-
Take 2 tabs morning before surgery, 2 tabs the day after surgery, then 1 tab in day 2 after surgery

2. Ibuprofen-
Take 1 tablet by mouth before surgery, then take 1 tablet by mouth 4 times a day for 2 days

3. Amoxicillin-
Take 2 capsules by mouth 1 hour before surgery, then take once capsule by mouth 3 times a day for 3 days

4. Diazepam-
Take 1 tablet by mouth at bedtime before appointment

So I know how to take prescription #4, but what about 1, 2, and 3? 1 and 2 just say "morning before surgery", but I'm having it at 9 am, so what time should I take it? And prescription #3 says 1 hour before, so should I take it at 8am? If so, should I take all 3 (prescription 1, 2, & 3) pills at 8 am? Or should I go to the dentist and take all my prescriptions there?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 2,462 • Replies: 22
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2012 06:38 pm
@PinkLipstick,
Me (I'm not a doctor) would take 2 and 3 together at that one hour point. I don't know anything about number 1. Can you call your local pharmacy?

I think if the hour mattered, needing to be earlier than the one hour, they'd have said so.
0 Replies

Zarathustra

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2012 07:00 pm
@PinkLipstick,
Fear of pain fogging your thought processes :-)

Not a Dentist but I played a lot of doctor in my youth…

Number 1 -- is for inflammation, so anytime you want before surgery.

In more significant doses I believe that this is what some mountain climbers’ pack in case of emergency as it gives an adrenaline-like jolt to the metabolism. I imagine pain will provide your adrenalin.

Number 2 -- For inflammation here I guess, on bad side thins your blood. If you have clotting problems your dentist needs to know and would omit this prescription I would think. Time not critical to the hour.

Number 3 -- For infection so not time critical to the hour I would think, but closer to surgery would probably mean highest titration right after surgery (a good thing).

Now to important things: Tell him you are a pain sissy and would appreciate 1,000 Percocet 10mg,” just to help you through the coming days”. I will tell you where to send them once you get them.

Hope this helps.
PinkLipstick

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2012 07:12 pm
@Zarathustra,
Oh! Thank you very much! By the way, I just asked my sister and she said the Diazepam is Valium, which is a drug that gets you high! It's 10 mg, why would they ask me to take this at bedtime? Do they want me to get high? I'm worried. I don't want to get "high". I've never even drunk alcohol before so I wouldn't know how to handle that! Now I'm worried about when to take drug #4 too! It says at bedtime, but how many hours before my 9am surgery?
Rockhead

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2012 07:14 pm
@PinkLipstick,
valium will relax you while you sleep.

don't tell your friends, they will want some too...
0 Replies

Zarathustra

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2012 07:39 pm
@PinkLipstick,
Take the valium 20 minutes before you go to sleep, whenever that is.

Yes drugs like the benzodiazepines and opiates can make you “high” but only when specific dosage levels are reached. Technically these are termed side-effects by some conservative types like dentists. Others use the term “tubular man” to describe said effects. Another term for side-effect is possible patient lawsuit. I have found that most dentists and doctors are spoilsports and tend to prescribe in dosages that only produce effects intended by the manufacturer rather than the more “enjoyable” side effects.

In general I would say don't panic, use your best judgement, and when you get the Percocet I mentioned, place them in a plain brown rapper put "South Korean Peper Plants" on the front of the package and address it to Zarathustra (I will PM you the rest of the infomation). Valium may make you forgetful, so don't forget.
PinkLipstick

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2012 07:53 pm
@Zarathustra,
Hahaha! Lol! Percocet? I have no idea what that is but okay Smile Thank you very much for all of your help! You've relieved some of my tension and worry! I'm glad I could get to talk to you! You answered all of my questions Very Happy
ossobuco

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2012 08:38 pm
@PinkLipstick,
I wrote a long thing about me being chary about oxicondone and percoset and percodan, the last by a patient who called us for more about a hundred times, when I worked after uni for a doc.

I took half an oxicondone once, forget which op when. No problemo. Had some stolen once, no loss to me, but that added to the culture.

Anyway, I erased what I wrote, going on too long. Listen to your doctor.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2012 09:29 pm
I don't know where people get the idea that Valium will get you high. It doesn't. It just relaxes you and makes everything seem pleasant (even if it hurts). But, careful. It can be quite addictive. Take only as prescribed.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2012 10:07 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
One tablet before bedtime is probably just to help you get a good night's sleep. Its not a bad idea and one pill isn't going to cause any problems.

Relax and enjoy.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2012 10:19 pm
@maxdancona,
True that. One tablet at bedtime won't do anything more than help you go to sleep.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2012 10:43 pm
From a thread back in 2003 -

My only personal experience with any of that was having a lab friend hand me some librium as I was about to drive with my very depressed and otherwise troubled father across country to make sure he got there safely, in a time when all three of us in my family were easily subjects for counselling, if such a thing was available back then. I was fine with booze and had by then kinda liked pot, but wasn't all that conversant with them much less things like librium. So, I took a half of one. I swear, I couldn't barely lift my arms for about five hundred miles.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2012 10:45 pm
@ossobuco,
So, that's still my view. I worry about oxycondone.
Obviously I get it in dire need. In the times I was give it and didn't take it, it wasn't needed.
0 Replies

PinkLipstick

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 03:24 pm
@Zarathustra,
I woke up in the middle of the procedure when he was removing my bottom right tooth and it HURT! I was crying and trembling in pain for what seemed like hours! I was whimpering and he just told me to please be quiet because he needed to concentrate! Finally it was over and he stitched me up. Went home, took meds, went to sleep, and now I'm awake and took my meds again. The numbness went away and it hurts (>.<)
Zarathustra

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 03:43 pm
@PinkLipstick,
Sorry to hear that. I would give you a big hug if I were there. OK, if I were there and you were a cute and/or voluptuous, youngish (ok maybe not even so youngish) woman and I was there I would hug you. But you get the jist of the sentiment.

Before sending me the Percocet’s you got for me take out, say 10. Take one every four hours for pain. Eat a little first and move as little as necessary, they can make some people nauseous, or dizzy if too active.

Seriously, you have my sympathy. I only had two wisdom teeth removed but am up to about a dozen root canals. All under Novocain while awake.

I would hope he gave you something stronger than aspirin at least for the first 48 hours. Take them as directed. Ice REALLY Helps most of the time.

A nice medley of music can help the negative feelings. I would recommend Leonard Cohen (Famous Blue Raincoat, Joan of Arc), James Taylor (Sweat Baby James, Carolina in My Mind), and Emmylou Harris (Poncho and Lefty , Across the Border) , but to each his own.
Feel Better!
PinkLipstick

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 03:46 pm
@Zarathustra,
I didn't end up getting Percocet's. I have no new prescriptions than the ones I already had. Anyways, why did I wake up? And why could I feel so much pain? To my understanding, I was supposed to wake up after the surgery as if nothing had ever happened.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 03:49 pm
@PinkLipstick,
that's just what they tell you before surgery so you don't worry so much.

you'll get better...
0 Replies

Zarathustra

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 04:14 pm
@PinkLipstick,
You woke up because they didn’t maintain the right amount of anesthetic. This really shouldn’t happen. If they didn’t also give you Novocain, (which they probably didn’t) the reason it hurt was because it’s painful! If you also had Novocain the pain should be greatly reduced at least. But pain is relative and very personal.

There is NO WAY you are gonna get through that procedure without feeling pain after the surgery, that is just absurd. I am pretty good about pain (being big, mean, and ugly) but I would expect at least a day of not a lot of fun without some fairly potent pain relief.

A reason for light anesthetic can be anything from concerns over patient breathing to not wanting the trouble of cleaning up after a patient gets sick from the gas to poor practice methods.

Try the ice. If it is really a problem, then call the dentist or the answering service and tell him you need pain relief. Since I can be a bit “in your face” if it was not immediately forth-coming I might wonder aloud if letting a patient wake up during surgery is something my lawyer might be interested in taking up...“Does this happen often in your practice doctor?

Rockhead’s response reminds me of the old song. "Ain't too hard (to get along with somebody else’s problems)".

By the way if you like the idea of listening to music and like to sing-a-long but have a lot of swelling, I recommend going heavy on the Leonard Cohen. The other two choices have (in my opinion) exceptional voices, as a singer Cohen is a great songwriter if you get my drift. So you will probably still be able to harmonize with him, significant swelling notwithstanding.

On receiving the Canadian Singer of the Year Award Cohen is purported to have said: “Nobody was more surprised then me!”
Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 04:33 pm
Zarathustra's post is spot-on.
0 Replies

PinkLipstick

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 05:14 pm
@Zarathustra,
I remember them giving me a cup of some nasty liquid and a tiny amount of powder. Then I went to sleep and woke up to the extreme pain!

On a side note, I just tried to drink some water and holy hell! It hurt like crazy! From now on I'm only taking tiny sips. The pain was at the core of my jaw and lasted for the longest few minutes of my life before finally starting to subside! And the dentist told me to take ibuprofen, 400 mg, 4 times a day every 6 hours. My last dose was before my nap at 2pm, however, the pain was too much so I decided to take another 2 pills of Motrin with 200 mg of ibuprofen each, adding up to 400 mg.