ossobuco

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2012 11:34 am
Wowsa, Joe.

Anyone still in touch with the Kick?
ossobuco

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2012 12:05 pm
@ossobuco,
Bloomberg says Marathon is happening:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/01/nyc-marathon-2012-mayor-sandy-schedule_n_2057544.html
Joe Nation

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2012 02:35 pm
@ossobuco,
yeah.

Still doesn't say how we are supposed to get to Staten Island.

My idea is start at Central Park, run up into the Bronx, down through Manhattan over the Queensboro bridge through Queens to the Pulaski Bridge which is the Half way point.

Turn around and come back.\\

Joe(it will still take me six hours)Nation
Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2012 02:42 pm
@ossobuco,
Bloomberg also just endorsed Obama. I'm wondering if Obama's support of FEMA and Romney's voiced opposition to it was a major factor, following Sandy's depredations.
jespah

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2012 03:07 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
So nice to know that "get government off our backs" mysteriously doesn't mean "but rescue us from disasters!"
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2012 04:59 pm
@Joe Nation,
Could always turn it into a triathlon...

And I'm with Osso - where's Kicky?
jespah

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 07:03 am
@hingehead,
I did see him "like" something on FB last night so I am assuming he can at least get to wifi.

My parents are (I believe) in midair, going to Maryland for the weekend as the old homestead still doesn't have power.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 09:30 am
We need to start a Where the Hell is list.

Where the hell is OmsigDavid /

Joe(who else? I just emailed Kicky)Nation
ossobuco

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 09:42 am
@Joe Nation,
Sturgis
jespah

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 09:51 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:
We need to start a Where the Hell is list....

I say we just microchip everyone, like cocker spaniels.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 10:11 am
Okay. It's official.

I am not running this year's NYC Marathon. I cannot, in good conscience, participate in an event which takes the attention of a single policeman, EMT, or other emergency worker away from helping deal with the crisis this City of New York is presently facing.

That is to say nothing about the hundreds of thousands of other people elsewhere in New Jersey and Connecticut, out on Long Island,,, still without electricity, still in shelters, still in the very midst of recreating their rain-soaked, windblown lives.

I cannot run through the streets of the city and expect someone to be there to hand me a cup of water when so many are hurting.

I thank everyone for their encouragement of my running (I need the close attention and love) and I hope everyone will consider giving what they can to the relief agencies and the Red Cross.

We'll do this again next November. Be well.

♥♥Joe(dammit)Nation

PS: I have to say something else here so this will not be a redundant post. Hmmm.
I wonder what that should be?
I know. I have another idea, actually two, on how to run the marathon with a minimum of personnel.
Run it in Central Park. Four laps is 24.4 miles then you go out onto Central Park West, run North to 110th Street. Great finish area.
Here's what would be really fun. Let everyone who wants to run, run. The leaders would have to pick their way through the crowds. It would be the slowest Marathon on record.
OR
They could pick the top 127 competitors (same as the first year) include the top three dozen women, the rest, men. and let them zoom around the park. Everyone would get to see them at least four times.
Really fun.

Okay.
Now I'm done.
Roberta

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 11:06 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe, I understand where you're coming from. I respect your decision. I admire your decision.

But I'm thinking about the thousands of people (a small number) who worked tirelessy to get themselves into the marathon. Who strove to go beyond their limits. Who made personal sacrifices.

I'm torn. Maybe an alternate route would be the answer.

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 11:56 am
@Roberta,
I don't think there's time to make a different route, other than the one I've jokingly proposed here (4 times around C.P.).

I can't advise anyone on this.

Joe(how about around my block. That .8 miles. That's 32.75 laps.)Nation
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 12:16 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

Joe(how about around my block. That .8 miles. That's 32.75 laps.)Nation

Talk about snakes eating their own tail. I bet that would make an exciting marathon to watch on the TV. Razz Just trying to see who made how many laps and who lapped who when the whole lot of marathoners would stretch across all four blocks before even the race starts.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 04:11 pm
Just announced that the marathon has now been cancelled.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204712904578095160605290492.html
Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 04:34 pm
@Butrflynet,
I was just about to post that. It was on NPR news. Laughing
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 06:10 pm
I was looking for something and stumbled onto this. From a few days ago.

http://p.twimg.com/A6ZXtZXCQAA_KSx.jpg
realjohnboy

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 06:19 pm
Good call on your part and, eventually, NYC.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 08:09 pm
@Roberta,

life imitating art -- a still from "the day after tomorrow" (2004)...

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2010/7/12/1278925913507/2004-THE-DAY-AFTER-TOMORR-006.jpg
Sturgis

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2012 11:30 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
Woke up sad, worried.
Hope Jes' parents and Sturgis and Tsar and Thomas and JoeN and his honey and Frank and Kicky and Nextone and and and ..

ehBeth wrote:
I think Sturgis is closer to lower Manhattan than the rest...
Southwest of the land where the transformer was destroyed.

ossobuco wrote:
The village, I think.
Yeah that would be the place. Fortunately a few blocks from the recently overflowed Hudson.

Quote:
Sturgis
Yes?

Oh, wait...

Monday the lights dimmed, came back up, dimmed again and then out they went. I was already preparing for the worst and carrying a flashlight around at the time.

The wind was the most worrisome, especially when it slammed in to the building a number of times. Somehow the building and windows and roof (top floor here) stayed together.

Nights were boring and screwy. I don't walk well in the dark, lose balance so I didn't move about much after 6 p.m. or before 7 a.m. 2 transistor radios and a landline phone kept things alive during those hours as did the various candles I burned. Kept the cell shut off in case the landline went out (many did as some switching centers were in floodworld), figured I might need to make contact if I found myself in an emergency.

The plumbing system stayed working, although only cold water (which isn't that cold compared to refrigerated water) but that was enough for all the basics.

No heat either as the system requires electric to operate.

Gas stove, fortunately no gas mains were ruptured so I was able to keep eating hot meals...pasta from a box, with sauce from a jar, and various canned items and drink coffee as well as 40 cups of Red Zinger tea along with water from the still functioning faucets.

Electric returned about 5 this morning, as did the heat, the hissing of the system is what halted my sleep.

Next!