WestJet Apologizes After Ragged Ass Road Shirt Flap

djjd62

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 04:47 pm
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/story/2012/10/16/north-ragged-ass-westjet.html

WestJet is apologizing after one of its flight attendants asked a B.C. man to remove a souvenir T-shirt from Yellowknife and wear it inside out because the logo was against their family-friendly policies.

Ragged Ass Road T-shirts and street signs are popular souvenirs among visitors to Yellowknife, and refer to a street in the city’s Old Town founded in its early gold-mining days. WestJet has had flights to Yellowknife since

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/photos/2012/10/16/mi-ragged-ass-road-t-shirt.jpg

Ken Carson said the flight attendant stopped him as he boarded the cabin for a flight from Vancouver to Edmonton on Sunday. He said the flight attendant asked him to remove the shirt and wear it inside out, saying that WestJet is a family-friendly airline. The passenger said he tried to explain the origin of the logo to the flight attendant but was rebuffed.

He did not remove the shirt, but covered it with his jacket for the entire flight.

In a letter to WestJet that he also sent to media and the City of Yellowknife, Carson said he was humiliated in front of the other passengers and that WestJet owes him an apology.
A photo Westjet posted to its Instagram account after the incident. The photo's caption reads: Every day we are pleased to welcome guests on board wearing items that represent [sic] were they have been or where they are going, including Yellowknife's landmarks. Check out what Our President and CEO, Gregg Saretsky, has had on his office door since he moved in 2 years ago. We apologize for asking a guest to remove a Ragged Ass Road T-Shirt.A photo Westjet posted to its Instagram account after the incident. The photo's caption reads: Every day we are pleased to welcome guests on board wearing items that represent [sic] were they have been or where they are going, including Yellowknife's landmarks. Check out what Our President and CEO, Gregg Saretsky, has had on his office door since he moved in 2 years ago. We apologize for asking a guest to remove a Ragged Ass Road T-Shirt. (Westjet/Instagram)

Yellowknife's mayor said this isn't the first time someone's taken offence to the street name.

"I found a file here where there was a place, I believe it was in Ohio, where the county administration had ruled against people displaying their Ragged Ass Road sign on their property because it wasn't proper for their neighbourhood," said Gord Van Tighem.

Van Tighem said city employees are meeting with Westjet officials to discuss the matter Tuesday afternoon.

WestJet said it apologizes for asking the passenger to cover the T-shirt. It also issued a photo showing a Ragged Ass Road street sign on the office door of its president and CEO Gregg Saretsky, which it says has been there for two years.

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/photos/2012/10/16/mi-ragged-ass-rd-westjet-sign.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,338 • Replies: 9

djjd62

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 04:51 pm
i dread the day a newlywed couple, her from Newfoundland and he from Yellowknife, board a WestJet flight, one wearing a shirt that says Dildo and the other Ragged Ass Road
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 04:54 pm
@djjd62,
Well, I'm glad WestJet had the good grace to apologize. Now I just hope they don't go overboard and terminate the hapless flight attendant who made the boo-boo. The flight attendant, after all, was just following what they understood to be company policy. If there was a misunderstanding, it was an honest one.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 04:55 pm
@djjd62,
There's a Dildo in Newfoundland?
djjd62

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 04:57 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
from the report i saw it seems the attendant is in no danger of losing their job

most involved seem to be taking a lighthearted approach
djjd62

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 04:59 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
There's a Dildo in Newfoundland?

sometimes the boys are away fishing (or working in the oilfields out west more likely these days) Wink
Rockhead

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 04:59 pm
@djjd62,
had he been a buxom young lady, I would have insisted that the shirt be removed...

silly ass airlines.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 05:01 pm
@djjd62,
sheesh I didn't realize WestJet still existed

the talk around here is all Porter all the time
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 05:03 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
only one on the map

https://www.google.ca/maps/vt/data=Ay5GWBeob_WIPLDYoIWcfVXxvZu9XwJ55OX7Ag,h513GN83I2HqRbTvOMziDBaD66fKWQzIVWh_AsHDjGE_v6qjQ1LHseoN73GcNLaOdoC-FQ9Dlk9vMgAp5DsPwJXJQfE

Rockhead

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 05:05 pm
@ehBeth,
now there is a mail order business waiting to be born...

0 Replies