Some questionable unconventional English learning methods and products

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2012 09:41 am
I believe English communicative integrated skills courses that practise listening, speaking, reading and writing alongside pronunciation, grammar and vocabulary are the most effective and the most comprehensive courses. There is no valid reason to reject those acclaimed successfully tested courses worldwide as inferior to untested unconventional English learning products like English Harmony (creator Robby Kukurs), Language Bridge or Effortless English that are not widely used by learners worldwide. Creators of such products are in the tiny minority of doubters inventing allegedly easier, quicker and more effective language learning methods and products, but the evidence and verified facts are not on their side. Conventional communicative English teaching and learning that include adequate regular long-term practice in listening comprehension and speaking English yield effective results. Lack of such practice in English by learners produces speculations that conventional English learning and teaching methods don't work.

I've received some messages from people advocating unconventional English learning methods and promoting English learning products of that kind. I've explored some of their websites that contain a number of learners' comments. Supporters of unconventional learning methods and products claim that learning grammar is unnecessary and inhibits fluent speaking.
A growing number of learners are misled and lose time experiencing delay in language learning progress because of superficial claims of promoters of unconventional English learning methods and products. Therefore I've launched a campaign to discuss those highly important issues in teaching and learning ESL/EFL.
I disagree with those speculative claims of supporters of unconventional learning methods and products as knowledge of grammar rules logically reduces making mistakes by learners. Without adequate knowledge of English grammar rules learners often cannot create their own grammatically correct sentences and often cannot understand what they read or hear in English exactly.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,082 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Complete

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2012 02:00 pm
One would expect that most students that completed advanced level conventional English courses ought to have advanced level English language skills. If a student failed to achieve that level true causes of failure could be established whether it is a teacher's or a student's fault. Each case of failure should be assessed separately and no hasty general unsubstantiated conclusions should be made. It is a good idea to analyze the factors affecting successful learning and teaching of ESL/EFL, especially such issues as diligence, dedication, motivation, interest, memory capability, methods and practice activities, content of materials, etc.
Learning, practising and mastering English is a long process. In addition to formal English and self-study classes there should be adequate regular long-term practice in using English (including communication with native English speakers) to accelerate mastering of English by learners. All English language aspects and skills must be learned and practised to eventually master English: phonetics, grammar, vocabulary, listening comprehension, speaking, reading and writing.
No single English course can help you master English thoroughly, for example English vocabulary and comprehensive conversational content on a multitude of topics. Only a combination of the above mentioned components can ensure mastery of English. Thought-through content for practice is crucial to first encompass relevant content for one's needs as there is an enormous amount of diverse content in ESL/EFL resources.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2012 02:44 pm
@Complete,
Are you sure you"re not JTT in disguise?
Complete

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2012 02:45 pm
Most foreign ESL/EFL learners worldwide, even those living in English speaking countries attend formal English courses especially for educational, professional, employment and business purposes and do not rely exclusively on communication with native English speakers. Both are needed to develop good English language skills. Self-study and self-practice are also very helpful in this regard, especially to accelerate learning of English vocabulary and to develop better English listening and speaking skills.
0 Replies

Complete

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2012 02:54 pm
It makes sense to disguise one's identity in forums.
fresco

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2012 11:56 pm
@Complete,
Even though your simultaneous blitzing of half a dozen forums exposes you as Michael Chtcherbitski, a Ukrainian Canadian former English language teacher ! Rolling Eyes

What is the point of pedantry on this forum?. You have certain opinions which place you as an advocate of traditional formal grammar. So what* ? Nowhere do you appear to understand that there are different varieties and styles of "English" adequate for different social contexts. Indeed your own material in this particular context indicates that that point escapes you !

*(Are you aware that the origins of "English Grammar" lie in the history of the British Education system which in the 19th. century had the "problem" of "teaching the lower classes to speak properly". Latin grammar was taken as the model.Pr ior to that there was no teaching of "English" in English schools)
Setanta

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2012 01:53 am
@fresco,
I believe the earliest examples of English "grammar" texts were written in Latin, in the late 15th century. When in the 16th century English grammar texts were produced in the English language, scholars were scandalized. English grammar rules from the 16th century onward were modelled on Latin grammar.
fresco

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2012 05:30 am
@Setanta,
Thanks for that detail.
0 Replies

Complete

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2012 09:32 am
I've created articles on learning and practising English speaking, grammar, vocabulary, idioms, listening comprehension, reading and on practising English on one's own. My suggestions may serve as a concise but valuable guide on learning, practising and eventually mastering English. My tips and advice are equally suitable for self-study and classroom use. My informative project is intended solely as exchange of information for the purposes of knowledge improvement and idea production for learners and even for teachers of English (to concentrate on major points) which can help them in their English language activities. It is up to users of this forum to agree or disagree with my views and suggestions.
I hope my messages (submissions, contributions) on the issues of learning and using English are helpful to learners and even teachers of English as a second or a foreign language. People can forget or may not take into consideration or may not know some important points in their English language activities. I do not claim that I am more knowledgeable in issues of mastering English and of course I do not try to impose a thought that my suggestions are to be followed. I accept valid critical assessments (judgements) of my views and my opinions. I just want to exchange views and opinions and discuss issues of English with other users and to give them helpful implementable creative ideas for mastering English.
fresco

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2012 10:59 am
@Complete,
You've now produced the same message (posing as new threads) at least three times on this forum. How do you rate the interest level here compared to the other half dozen forums on which you have tried exactly the same thing ?
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2012 11:45 am
@Complete,
Aha! I see this post has been deleted by the moderator on "englishforums.com" Wink
0 Replies

Complete

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2012 06:40 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
So far I've received quite a lot of mostly positive emails and other responses from both teachers and learners of ESL/EFL about my suggestions. My views are widely supported by both ESL/EFL teachers and learners. I have written evidence of that.
Setanta

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2012 01:37 am
@Complete,
Which is not, of course, a response to LA's post.
JTT

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2012 07:22 pm
@Setanta,
There's little use in addressing the inane postings of LA when it comes to the English language, Set.
0 Replies