Are your kidneys up to par

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2012 06:33 pm
My kidney doctor advises "Let's see, your blood pressure is a little high but your creatin is 1.4 when it should be 0.4 and so plugging these figures into our formula including your age and other factors, in five years you will die of kidney failure. Oh and let's see, your cholesterol is ok while your white-cell count is also just a bit high but nothing to worry about…..…

Then he produced a tablet. "Here, write down everything you like."

I did so whereupon he advised, "All right, if you just quit everything you've listed, you might live a couple of months longer"

Well all right he didn't say it in exactly those words, but he did predict I'll probably require dialysis. Before I left he gave me this instruction sheet:

Quote:
TO PROTECT YOUR KIDNEYS

Sodium no more than 1,500mg a day,

Potassium
Your kidneys may not be able to remove extra potassium. Foods high in potassium

Oranges
Potatoes
Bananas
Dried fruits
Dried beans and peas
Nuts

Phosphorus

Limit the amount of phosphorus you eat to protect your bones. Foods high in phosphorus include

Eggs
Beans,
Cola drinks
Dairy products

Protein

When you have chronic kidney disease your kidneys may not be able to separate the protein from the wastes. Foods high in protein are

Meat
Dairy
Beans

Avoid certain medications

Aspirin
Acetaminophen
Ibuprofen
Laxatives and antacids that contain magnesium, aluminum, aspirin and salt
Pseudoephedrine

Well let's see, I take aspirin too, for my heart. Thus I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't, so why don't I just lie down and let go

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2012 06:47 pm
@dalehileman,
Yes. My blood pressure is perfect. The last time I had a check up, couple of weeks ago: 120/80 mmHg. That day, I had a blood test to test my cholesterol which previously was high enough had me on cholesterol meds for at least half a year or more. Now I'm fine in the cholesterol dept.

I drink a liter or so of water during the work day. And more water after work. My kidneys seemed to be fine and healthy for now.

Quote:
Thus I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't, so why don't I just lie down and let go

You should keep on chugging along because the next great thing in life is always around the corner. The next great movie has to be seen. The next great historical event needs to be witnessed. Heck? Aliens may decide to visit on the day you give up on it all. They might bring perfect health and immortality to all. Too bad for you if you decide to end it just hours prior to their arrival. Razz
dalehileman

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2012 06:55 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
Too bad for you if you decide to end it just hours prior to their arrival
Point well taken, Tsar. My better half says I should hang in there because within that time period the Medical Establishment might come up with something better and easier than dialysis
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2012 07:25 pm
@dalehileman,
My nephrologist has always advised me and most people with renal difficulties are best off getting their info from these doctors.

As to the other stuff, wouldn't get too panicked right yet as you don't make mention of being on dialysis. Once you get your fistula and are making trios of trips weekly, your lifespan (not to be confused with Warren Spahn) will be looking more closely at a termination.

By the way how are the numbers on your protein leakage?

At any rate, I wish you the best of luck in your medical wandering and hope you get the best care possible.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2012 09:02 pm
@dalehileman,
Kidneys, eh? Hard cheese, dale. My kidneys so far are fine, which is something of a miracle considering I used to consume about a liter of 80 proof something-or-other daily for at least 40 years or more. Quitting that merry-go-round 17 years ago might have something to do with the fact that kidneys and liver seem to be okay. The old ticker, however, is not what it used to be and I'm on half a dozen different meds daily now, an absolute pain in the gluteus maximus for some-one like me who used to disdain taking even an aspirin for a headache. But we do get older, don't we. As of this moment I have no plans for checking out of this Hotel Terra in the forseeable near future.
Dutchy

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2012 05:35 am
@dalehileman,
Don't panic yet dalehileman you're doing fine, the old body can take quite a bit with a lot of help from the Medical Profession. I'm a living example, quadruple bypass, 6 stents and on dialysis for past 2 1/2 years for 9 1/2 hours every day. Can still walk 50 yards and drive myself to the shopping centre for a cappucinno, 78 presently with no intention of going anywhere outside this world yet. Smile
dalehileman

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2012 11:11 am
@Sturgis,
Quote:
My nephrologist has always advised me
Thank you for that term Stu, it isn't everyday……..

Quote:
………. as you don't make mention of being on dialysis.
Not yet: He predicts in 5 or 6 years

Quote:
Once you get your fistula
….everyday that one learns two new words

Quote:
…...your lifespan……. will be looking more closely at a termination.
To hell with that, there's no way I'd undergo it, rather be dead

Quote:
By the way how are the numbers on your protein leakage?
……….three new words. Don't know, I'll ask my neph

Quote:
…..and hope you get the best care possible.
Thank you once more Stu
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2012 11:20 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
Kidneys, eh?
Yup

Quote:
Hard cheese, dale.
Thanks Andy, it's not everyday learn new expression

Quote:
………..considering I used to consume about a liter of 80 proof something-or-other daily for at least 40 years or more.
I was on beer, five to seven bottles a day. Oh if only one could turn time back without losing any smarts gained in the meantime

Quote:
Quitting that merry-go-round 17 years ago might have something to do with the fact that kidneys and liver seem to be okay.
Sincerely glad for you. I had cut down to one bottle/day some comparable period ago but apparently too late

Quote:
The old ticker, however, is not what it used to be and I'm on half a dozen different meds daily now,…………..
I take aspirin to bolster my ticker but now I'm advised it might damage my kidneys. Thus d'd if you do, d'd if you don't

Quote:
But we do get older, don't we.
Don't we though

Quote:
As of this moment I have no plans for checking out of this Hotel Terra in the forseeable near future.
Me neither, unless the refusal of dialysis happens in the period so defined. Thank you Andy for your input
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2012 11:23 am
@Dutchy,
Quote:
Don't panic yet dalehileman
Thanks Dutch for the encouragement
0 Replies