Ex-NFL Star, Actor Alex Karras Dies

jcboy

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 09:00 am

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/10/10/ex-nfl-star-actor-alex-karras-dies/?hpt=us_t2

Quote:
Former NFL player and actor Alex Karras died Wednesday in Los Angeles, family spokesman said. He was 77.

"After a heroic fight with kidney disease, heart disease, dementia and for the last two years, stomach cancer," Karras died at his home, surrounded by family, the spokesman said.

Karras, a defensive lineman and four-time Pro Bowl selection who played for the Detroit Lions from 1958 to 1970, went on to star in the 1980s sitcom “Webster” and also played the horse-punching Mongo in the 1974 movie “Blazing Saddles."

In April, he joined hundreds of ex-NFL players suing the league over concussion-related injuries, serving as lead plaintiff for what was then the 12th concussion-related complaint filed against the NFL by the Locks Law Firm in Philadelphia.

Karras “sustained repetitive traumatic impacts to his head and/or concussions on multiple occasions” during his NFL career, and “suffers from various neurological conditions and symptoms related to the multiple head traumas,” the lawsuit said.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 13 • Views: 1,627 • Replies: 6

Ragman

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 09:20 am
@jcboy,
"Mongo only pawn in game of life."
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 09:31 am
@jcboy,
I remember seeing him and Burt Reynolds on the Carson show. Both were very funny.

Rest in peace, Alex.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 12:32 pm
Sad to see him go. RIP
MMarciano

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 01:34 pm
@edgarblythe,
One movie I remember him being in was Babe, the story of Babe Didrickson Zaharias. It was a pretty good movie. RIP Alex.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 02:26 pm
@jcboy,
I'll always remember him as Mongo in Blazing Saddles and that classic, epic line: "Mongo straight." [What a relief or all the gays Smile]
ossobuco

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 07:05 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I'll remember him as a pal of Paul Hornung.
But, later, as a very funny man.
0 Replies