What year was Australian Prime Minister Edward Gough Whitlam dismissed by Governor John Kerr?

WonderA

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2012 03:35 am
What year was Australian Prime Minister Edward Gough Whitlam dismissed by Governor-General John Kerr resulting in a constitutional crisis?

Can anyone help me with that?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,132 • Replies: 8

engineer

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2012 05:12 am
@WonderA,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1975_Australian_constitutional_crisis
djjd62

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2012 05:14 am
@engineer,
it amazes me that someone can figure out how to open an account and get an avatar, but can't google a simple question
djjd62

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2012 05:15 am
@djjd62,
and i realize that google is not available in some countries, but still
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2012 05:57 am
I don't know if the Wikipedia article details thia, but there has long been a strong suspicion that Kerr was influenced by American Central Intelligence. Fraser's party was being financed by a bank, which, as required by Australian law, was founded by an Australian, but for which the silent partner was an American, a former employee of Air America, a CIA front operation in southeast Asia. ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) several years later did a program which alleged that millions of dollars of CIA money was funneled to Whitlam's opposition through that bank. William Colby, who was then the southeast Aais station chief for Central Intelligence, was a close personal friend of Kerr. Kerr was a member of a putative democracy organization which was widely considered to be a CIA front operation. Colby became the Director of Central Intelligence a few years after this incident. Nixon's administration wanted to "get" Whitlam because of his opposition to the war in Vietnam, his decision to pull Australian troops out of Vietnam, and a rumor that he intended to close U.S. bases in Australia.
engineer

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2012 07:02 am
@djjd62,
I just googled the title to the thread and got the answer off the first hit. Normally I don't do someone's googling for them, but the OP also posted on the "The Bear And Squinney Together Again" thread to say congrats so I was feeling generous.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2012 02:17 pm
Whatever the details, the year was 1975.
(I believe that was the OP question.)
0 Replies

fobvius

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2012 09:50 pm
@Setanta,
Remembrance Day 1975, lest we forget.

Quote:
Whitlam wrote that Kerr did not need any encouragement from the CIA.[113] However, he also said that in 1977 United States Deputy Secretary of State Warren Christopher made a special trip to Sydney to meet with him and told him, on behalf of US President Jimmy Carter, of his willingness to work with whatever government Australians elected, and that the US would never again interfere with Australia's democratic processes.[114]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1975_Australian_constitutional_crisis

It was Whitlam's (labor) party that was seeking finance because Fraser's opposition (liberal) party blocked the finance bills in the senate.

The previous Liberal ( republican) Party had withdrawn all but 150 troops by March 1972 before the Labor (democrat) Party came to power in December.

Funding Australian Government entities did not require the use of a bank founded by an Australian. Once Loan Council approval was received the search for cheaper petro-dollars began.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loans_Affair
Setanta

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 04:59 am
@fobvius,
I didn't say that "Funding Australian Government entities [required] the use of a bank founded by an Australian." I said that said bank was funneling U.S. dollars to those opposed to Whitlam. Spare me the straw man.
0 Replies