"light a cig"?

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2012 09:23 pm
Does "light a cig" mean "showing eaze" and "throw deep" "throwing his deep feeling into the debate"?

Context:
Debate advice: Obama, light a cig; Romney, throw deep

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/10/03/opinion/begala-castellanos-advice-obama-romney/index.html?iid=article_sidebar
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 566 • Replies: 4
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
Ceili
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2012 10:13 pm
@oristarA,
Throwing deep or going for the long ball, is giving it all you've got. He advised Romney to give people the meat of his campaign. Show them what he really believes in. Prove that Mitt Romney is a man of the people with solid ideas how can understand the needs of the voters. Don't dance around and try to get Obama to slip up. Throw deep, show us what you're made of.
Light a cig(arette) is like saying chill. People often reach for a smoke when they're nervous or in times of stress. A cigarette calms you're nerves, or so it seems. The author is telling Obama to stand his ground and make Romney backpedal, don't lose his cool.
oristarA

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2012 10:59 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

Throwing deep or going for the long ball, is giving it all you've got. He advised Romney to give people the meat of his campaign. Show them what he really believes in. Prove that Mitt Romney is a man of the people with solid ideas how can understand the needs of the voters. Don't dance around and try to get Obama to slip up. Throw deep, show us what you're made of.
Light a cig(arette) is like saying chill. People often reach for a smoke when they're nervous or in times of stress. A cigarette calms you're nerves, or so it seems. The author is telling Obama to stand his ground and make Romney backpedal, don't lose his cool.

Thank you Ceili.
I got what "throw deep" refers to. But does "light a cig" mean to tell Obama "calm down and fend off Romney"?
Ceili

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2012 11:29 pm
@oristarA,
Ori, have you ever watched a movie where the tough guy lights a cigarette and then make everyone wait till he says something. He's not telling him to calm down, so much as telling him to remain calm. Light a smoke, take a breath, don't let Romney make your lose your cool.
0 Replies

RyanMatthew

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2012 12:01 am
@oristarA,
Hi Friends !

I'm new member join in this forum. I will introduce myself. My name is Ryan Matthew, I couldn't get any introduction thread. This is my new post. I am interested in this board it is important topic to be discussed. I would like to learn from this forum.Now I want to catch more knowledge in this community.Share my thoughts and gain some knowledge and decided to join with other members of this forum. I hope all friends will corporate with me.

I am waiting for your reply.

Thank you.
Ryan Matthew
0 Replies