Logic: "some of the scores were too low to have occurred by chance"?

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2012 09:16 pm

I can easily understand ""some of the scores were too high to have occurred by chance." But "too low"? Failed to understand the logic.

If I know how J.B. Rhine set the scores, I'd know the logic I believe. But just based on the article, it is difficult to figure it out.

Context:

The Science of Things That Aren't So

By Bruce Chassy & Henry I. Miller

Chemistry Nobel Laureate Irving Langmuir related in a landmark 1953 speech his visit to the laboratory of J.B. Rhine at Duke University, where Rhine was claiming results of ESP experiments that could not be predicted by chance, and which he ascribed to psychic phenomena. Langmuir discovered that Rhine was only selectively counting the data in his experiments, omitting the results from those he believed were guessing in order to humiliate him.

The evidence? Rhine felt that some of the scores were too low to have occurred by chance, and that it would, therefore, actually be misleading to include them.

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
Ceili
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2012 09:29 pm
@oristarA,
In this test, the doctor was excluding tests below a certain threshold. He believed some people were purposely trying to mess with the results, like losing ball game or throwing a fight.
With most tests, you can predict the outcome. A teacher can write a test that a high percentage of students are going to fail, or an easy test that everyone will pass.
This doctor believed he had developed an experiment that would test people with ESP and he believed he could weed out the cheaters too, those that were purposefully choosing the wrong answer . Ironically, proving that either they were psychic or dreadfully unlucky. Or that instead of trying, they were attempting to guess, in order to appear more cosmic than they were, thus getting the answers wrong and then humiliating him.
In other words, the reason the article is called, The Science of Things that Aren't so..
Is because the idea, the premise and the science behind it were bunk.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2012 11:05 pm
Cool.
Thank you Ceili.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2012 05:51 am
@oristarA,

Quote:
I can easily understand ""some of the scores were too high to have occurred by chance." But "too low"? Failed to understand the logic.

I won't try to improve on Ceili's answer (I couldn't!) but it seems to me that from the original question, whether too high or too low, it's the same logic.
oristarA

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2012 09:59 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Quote:

I won't try to improve on Ceili's answer (I couldn't!) but it seems to me that from the original question, whether too high or too low, it's the same logic.

I agreed, After reading Ceili's answer, I got the same impression.
0 Replies