Only 31 more days till Halloween!

sozobe

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2012 09:28 am
@boomerang,
Hi there,

Just seeing this... it was all ready! It was the least-stressful costume prep ever, there usually is something that I'm running around doing at the last minute. But nope, nice and calm, she got there right on time, and won "best costume" to boot.

We have cooooold icky weather today, she nixed the persian lamb cape (damn, it looked vintage-y and cool IMO but she had a point that it was kind of constricting), she has a green coat already so I'm going to sew some leftover leaves to it here and there and maybe a butterfly on her shoulder. She has green shoes and green gloves too. Long skirt can conceal some leggings + stuff for warmth.

Just hope it doesn't rain! Very well might.

I got some pictures before the party, will see if I get better ones tonight, will send you something.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2012 09:41 am
And Happy Halloween, everyone! Here, have some candy corn:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d130/sozobe/candycornonthecob.jpg

(We made candy corn on the cob -- marzipan center -- to bring to the party.)
Enzo

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2012 09:47 am
Today being Halloween.
Remember candy economics 101
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2012 09:59 am
@sozobe,
That looks great. I'll take a thin slice.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2012 10:00 am
@sozobe,
I saw one of those made with a core of chocolate chip cookie dough!

So fun.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2012 10:21 am
@sozobe,
That makes my teeth ache.
sozobe

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2012 10:31 am
@DrewDad,
It's super-sweet. We made it more for the eye, the girls at the party ate it though. If I were serving I think it would be as a way to nosh on candy corn -- pluck a kernel here and there.

(Meanwhile, marzipan has made sozlet's life complete. Dye-able Play-doh that tastes GOOD! Bliss.)
ehBeth

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2012 11:43 am
@sozobe,
it might be fun to make sugar filaments - use them as corn silk

edit - I see it's more commonly called spun sugar (I guess Mrs. Bartlett was wrong)

http://sum.ptuo.us/roller/ks/entry/sugar_work_how_to_spin
sozobe

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2012 02:22 pm
@ehBeth,
That would be cool!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2012 02:37 pm
@sozobe,
sweeeeet!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2012 02:39 pm
Speaking of candy corn...

Someone brought homemade "Butterfingers" to a party recently. They looked like chocolate dipped logs, ala Butterfingers and tasted exactly like them. She said it was melted candy corn and peanut butter dipped in chocolate.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2012 02:40 pm
@JPB,
y'all are making my teeth hurt...
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2012 06:11 pm
Here is our little army man Cool

http://imageshack.us/a/img844/9302/pum3y.jpg
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2012 06:25 pm
Cold, drizzly with intermittent driving rain--no joy for the trick or treaters here tonight.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2012 07:33 pm
My town postponed Halloween (Trick or Treating) until Sunday evening even though it was pretty nice out tonight. So I have 4 more days of anticipation still to go Smile
sozobe

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2012 07:50 pm
@rosborne979,
It was cold, it was rainy, it was generally miserable -- but the kid had a GREAT time!

She was comfortable from the knees up, but her new green shoes got completely soaked through and weren't the best walking shoes, and these girls covered GROUND. She was basically speedwalking the whole time (her long, narrow skirt allowed for normal walking but not huge strides like the other, less-encumbered girls in her group were taking).
jcboy

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2012 06:50 am
@sozobe,
I had a little disagreement with a friend last night who told me he wasn’t going to give out candy to any kid that wasn’t in a costume.

But we don't know their story. Maybe they couldn't afford one. But who cares anyway, it's one night a year. Just give them freaking candy and be a good person instead of getting into power struggles with kids!
Ragman

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2012 07:00 am
@jcboy,
Maybe for them that is their treat part? Some people just need to win or control and adults offer too much of a challenge.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2012 07:31 am
We had so many trick or treaters last night! I didn't think it would get crazy since Halloween fell on a Wednesday but was I ever wrong. I'm guessing we had well over 400. I thought I'd bought way, way too much candy but we only had a couple of pieces left at the end of the night.

The slow, steady rain stopped at about 5:00, giving me just enough time to get the last minute decorations out before the kids started showing up, then it started up again about 8:30 -- perfect!

Mo's costume was a huge hit. He was recruited to scare people a few times which he thought was more fun than the actual trick or treating.

There were some really amazing home made costumes out and about but by far my favorite one was the group of "Overly Polite English Girls". They were dressed in adorable 60's London Go-Go girl fashion and had this whole overly polite patter that they'd worked up. I was cracking up. I asked how this concept costume came to be and they explained that they'd recently moved here and everyone was always complementing them on their manners so they just decided to really amp it up for Halloween. It was crazy funny.

One little girl liked our decorations so much she asked if she could stay and hand out candy for a while. Her parents approved so she sat with me a bit and talked about her life and passed out candy for 10 minutes or so. Lovely.

It was a great Halloween.
sozobe

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2012 08:50 am
@boomerang,
I love the Overly Polite English Girls!

jcboy, I give out candy to pretty much anyone, we were running low though (like Boomer, I thought I had way too much and was surprised at how many people came out in the rain and cold -- however, it was almost all local people this year, which was nice, we often have "tourists" who just grab and leave, I prefer the chattier locals)... um, lost that sentence. OK, so we were running low so when we got a group of oder teenagers (college students I think) I was a little stern about just one per person, but they were about the last ones of the evening so it ended up fine.

But I consider age more of a cut-off than costume-wearing. A few kids had pretty minimal costumes.

The tiny people always slay me, toddlers in costumes are way too cute pretty much no matter what.