Who is the most obscure US President?

timberlandko

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2003 11:27 am
c.i., to me that's sorta like blaming Truman for WWII.

timber
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 07:38 pm
Franklin Pierce isn't that obscure. There's even a college named for him in Rindge, Cow Hampshire, my erstwhile home town. The most obscure, hands down, has to be Benjamin Harrison. This dude never even served as president. He died in office from pneumonia he contracted during his inauguration on the steps of the Capitol. Buchanan, I admit, runs a very close second.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 08:03 pm
timber, One BIG difference. Japan attacked us first. c.i.
0 Replies

dov1953

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 05:42 pm
In general, the Presidents after Lincoln and before Wilson, were generally non-entities. That was the era of the building of the industrial revolution and anyone that stood in the way of the super-rich accomplished nothing. Thank goodness we've past that now (ah-hem).............
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 06:58 pm
Timder,
...somehow I missed your post earlier. I don't see the paralell between Truman and Bush. Confused Truman would have had to been president in 1941, and mounted a campaign against Italy. (the weakest of the evil "axis")
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 09:18 am
Well, since I taught American history, I can't choose one, but I can answer a couple of questions:

Andrew Johnson was impeached but not dismissed. A fellow named Edmund Ross was the pivotal vote in the Senate. (Kennedy's Profiles in Courage)

Booman (I think) is thinking of Thomas Dewey, governor of New York who went to bed thinking that he was president. Give em hell, Harry won.

Any other questions? Oh, yes. Polk was a dark horse.

And a little showboatin' here. The first seven presidents were dubbed the Virginia Dynasty Razz and Dubya has been dubbed...er..ah...something or the other.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 11:01 am
Merry Andrew: There were TWO Harrisons. William Henry Harrison is the Prez that died one month into his term March 4, 1841-April 4,1841. Benjamin Harrison, his grandson, was the President inbetween Cleveland's two terms, 1889-1893 and did not die in office. Both were obscure as Presidents, but William Henry Harrison was well known as a military leader.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 11:12 am
So you see how obscure he was. He was so obscure I got him all mixed up with his namesake!

For all you history trivia buffs (Letty already knows this) -- with two presidents named Bush, we have now had five sets of presidents with the same surname -- 2 Adames, 2 Harrisons, 2 Johnsons, 2 Roosevelts, in addition to the shrubbery.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 01:47 pm
Yeah, and the way things are going, we may see a Bush trifecta. Given the GOP's penchant for nominating these people, who wants to bet against Jeb running one of these days?
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 01:51 pm
Running yes, but winning - no. I hope America has learned!
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 01:56 pm
We can only hope. In another thread, I speculated on the possibilities re our first woman President. I refer, of course, to Pres. Jenna.

The horror! The horror!
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 02:00 pm
Her first priorty would be to legalize anything a Bush does!
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 04:58 pm
Letty,
...Thanks for that. I remember the full page headline, DEWEY WINS!!! Laughing

Bill,
...The American public has already learned. Now if we could just wake up the Supreme Court. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 05:02 pm
Anointed for life Booman, ain't gonna change anything that Scalia, Reinhquist or what's his name - you know the one that votes for everything right of the death penalty, oh yeah Thomas. Anyway, the SCOTUS will not change for some time!
0 Replies