Who is the most obscure US President?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 10,094 • Replies: 53
No top replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 11:23 am
I can't really tell about the others but, as a Mexican, I would discard Polk among the obscures.

He made war to Mexico. The US won and "purshased" half of our territory (California, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, part of Utah).

He's not very well remembered south of the US border. He can't be obscure to us.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 11:33 am
Other. Buchanan was so obscure he didn't even make your list.

I'd take Johnson off. Wasn't he impeached?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 11:53 am
I voted for Franklin Pierce, the pride of New Hamster.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 11:58 am
It was a toss-up between Fillmore and Hayes . . . whenever i'm asked to sign my name, and i think it unimportant, i sign either Millard Fillmore or Rutherford Hayes . . . i've never once seen anyone who found this suspect . . .
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 12:02 pm
Well, of course they don't notice. If you don't write Rutherford B. Hayes, it's practically unrecognizable. Like World B. Free.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 12:03 pm
Have we had a great deal more ineffective, forgettable Presidents than effective, memorable Presidents? Yes. Pick one of them -- all too mediocre (and off the list) to even make a realistic, objective choice but I picked Arthur. Mainly because of his drinking...oops, that's a movie!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 12:04 pm
Of course, there's the curse, "May you live in memorable times." Perhaps could be amended to, "May you preside over memorable times."
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 12:06 pm
I don't know much about any of them - American presidents don't feature much in Canadian history courses. but ... I've heard of all of that group except Arthur. He's completely invisible to me.
0 Replies

coming

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 12:17 pm
Nice set of names. Arthur, Pierce and Harrison can be christian or first name. I will use one of them if I need to go to alcoholic anonymous one day :wink:
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 12:22 pm
Welcome Coming . . . hope you enjoy yer stay . . . for anonymity, nothin' beats a dead president . . .
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 12:32 pm
Jespah

"New Hamster" I love it!
0 Replies

maximom

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 10:33 pm
I voted for Hayes because I felt he had the fewest memorable accomplishments.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 10:46 pm
Who could be more obscure than uh...you know...whatchamacallit?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 06:45 pm
I think I'll join the write-in campaign for Buchanan. He's no longer even remembered as the President whose Administration set the stage for The Civil War (a baseless calumney, in my opinion).

timber
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 07:22 pm
Teppicanoe and Tyler too! c.i.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 11:26 pm
Oh,oh...I know who has to be the most obscure. His name escapes me momentarily, but he beat Truman. I remember all the headlines saying he'd won, and then never heard from him again. I was only three at the time, and it's kind of fuzzy. did I miss anything? Rolling Eyes :wink:
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 11:30 pm
Booman ... there were further countering developments. Much in fact has happened since. We'll wait while you catch up.

timber
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 11:34 pm
Shocked Laughing
0 Replies

edithdoll

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2002 09:29 am
I'm still pondering my vote...

Hayes I always remember though because of his wife, she was active in the temperance movement and banned all alcohol from The White House celebrations and was nicknamed "Lemonade Lucy."

Also -- What about Taft???
0 Replies