I want to sleep!

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 10:46 pm
Does anyone have any tips on sleeping better?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,350 • Replies: 33
No top replies

kev

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 11:23 pm
I don't know whether alchohol is a problem for you, it used to be for me and I couldn't sleep unless I had a few beers in me. Solution STOP DRINKING and within days you will sleep like you can't believe.

Of course if drinking isn't your problem then my advice means nothing.

Whatever the problem, I hope you solve it.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 11:27 pm
I never touch the stuff.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 11:33 pm
Sleeping only once every several days helps that sleep to be extra special.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 11:34 pm
Indeed, but I'd rather have my sleep spread out into healthy, even intervals.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 11:38 pm
I'm bookmarking.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 11:50 pm
From what I have read, advice for better sleep includes maintaining a regular sleep time (i.e. go to bed at the same time every night), no food around 3 hours prior to bedtime, and keeping your bedroom just for sleeping and sex (i.e. no t.v., don't read, don't do anything like homework or office work in bed).

Chamomile tea is supposed to be a good relaxer. If you have anything else that helps you to relax before going to bed, that would be a good thing to include in your bedtime routine.

I have also read that insomnia can be just a temporary thing, so maybe this will resolve itself for you....assuming this hasn't been going on for a long time already!

Hope this helps.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 11:58 pm
If it is an extra bothering problem for you, try 'autohypnosis'. It really has nothing to do with hypnosis, it is more of a relaxation technique. Too lengthy to explain here, but there is a multitude of literature on it out there, and surely searchable on internet. I use it especially when under stress, when instead of falling asleep you feel like you are getting more and more awake, mind racing at 100 miles per hour. Requires some training, but once mastered it can serve you for the rest of the life in various situations.
Oh yeah, lukewarm milk with honey helps too.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 12:53 am
1:00 A.M. and I'm still wide awake. But you guys have given some good tips thanks. About insomnia being temporary, I'm going on about 3 or 4 years of sleeplessness Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 01:03 am
Have you tried looking into meditation Child? Have you seen a doctor about it?

What about your bed, do you have a decent mattress?

Can you pinpoint anything (like some type of stress) that is contributing to your wakefullness? I guess what I mean is, does your mind race with things that stress you out? Or is everything "okay" and you just toss and turn?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 01:11 am
Let's try to look at this from an intellectual level, child. What I mean is, I've heard the smarter the person is, the less sleep they need. Einstein supposedly got by with one hour of sleep per day.

Now using that scale, and judging from some of your previous posts, that would indicate to me that you should be getting approximately 23.5 hours of sleep per day.

Hope that helped.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 01:14 am
:wink:
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 02:16 am
A really hot bath about 1/2 an hour before bed.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 02:18 am
And no caffeine drinks after sunset. No coffee, tea or cola drinks. If you must have a hot drink, make it hot chocolate or a herbal tea.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 06:00 pm
Gus, DUDE! that was indeed harsh. Laughing
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 06:01 pm
I try to sleep and then I get an urge to do something, and I get up and do it, I can't just lie there and wait.
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 06:31 pm
Sounds like maybe you have a hard time getting your mind to slow down enough to let you sleep?

I know when I go to bed if I lay there and start to "think" about things...I'm doomed.

It definitely helps to clear your mind as best you can before crawling into bed.

Smile
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 06:39 pm
Child, keep a list of things to remember for tomorrow so your brain doesn't have to. Keep a pad and pencil by your bed to write down things that are keeping your mind active.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 06:45 pm
Whittlek makes notes all nite cuz she's a nite owl. Very Happy
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 07:03 pm
I won't have trouble sleeping tonight, I just got back from rocking the socks off of some shocked onlookers, and I'm beat.
0 Replies