MOVIES YOU CAN WATCH AGAIN AND AGAIN

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 08:07 pm
Lightwizard,

No offense taken. Thanx for posting that. I had forgotten all of those other actors. Actually, The Robe should be playing on TV soon. They always play it around Easter.

I hear you, Amigo. I am a die hard Kevin Spacey fan. To me, he is the movie.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 08:09 pm
Repoman

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087995/
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 08:12 pm
I'm really not much for comedies, but I do like Emilio Estavez. I'll have to check that one out.

Has anyone seen a movie called Sideways?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 09:29 pm
The "Sideways" with the wild sex scenes? MA, you've got to calm down -- from "The Robe" to "Sideways."

I love "Sideways" and so does my Mom, even with the wild sex scene.

"The Robe" has been shown by the HDTV Movie Channel in a beautiful print even better than I remember it.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 09:32 pm
I haven't seen Sideways yet, Lightwizard. Someone said I should and I was just curious how others liked it or not.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 09:34 pm
funny you mention Kevin Spacey. I had some DVDs along with me on a long plane ride this past week and was watching "Midnight in the GArden of Good and Evil" and " The Shipping News", both good Spacey vehicles. He can be a real chameleon as in "Midnight". or hes the candidate for some life changing experience.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 09:37 pm
"Sideways" is a wonderful comedy which won the Golden Globe:

Miles is a failed writer living a meager existence in San Diego as an English teacher. With his career seemingly fading and the fate of a book hinging on a publisher's decision, Miles is depressed with himself and what he hasn't achieved. Jack is a television actor whom some recognize but not many do, as if he were a minor actor who got a taste of success. With his best friend Miles, the two embark on a road trip through California's wine country. Miles wants to give his friend a nice sendoff before married life, while Jack simply wants to have a fling beforehand. As they're both nearing middle age with not much to show for it, the two will explore the vineyards while ultimately searching for their identities. (from IMDb)
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 10:45 pm
farmerman,

I loved Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. Kevin Spacey is such a versatile actor. His mentor and Idol is Gene Hackman, another great.

Have you seen By the Sea (the life of Bobby Darin) or The Life and Times of David Gayle? By the Sea was ok, Kevin did all his own singing and dancing. He's very talented.

The Life and Times of David Gayle was probably his best performance ever.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 06:40 am
Although "Midnight" is not considered Eastwood's best work, I was more impressed with the film than the general consensus of the film critics. I've got "By the Sea" on my NetFlix queue and mainly because my Mom is a big Kevin Spacey fan. When I told her he was likely gay, she liked him even more. The one thing I did really like about "Midnight" is Jude Law's truly nefarious characterization of the boy toy.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 06:40 am
Although "Midnight" is not considered Eastwood's best work, I was more impressed with the film than the general consensus of the film critics. I've got "By the Sea" on my NetFlix queue and mainly because my Mom is a big Kevin Spacey fan. When I told her he was likely gay, she liked him even more. The one thing I did really like about "Midnight" is Jude Law's truly nefarious characterization of the boy toy. One of the criticisms of the film is that it left out the fact that there were actually three trials that Jim had to go through before being acquited -- they just took so much out of him that his life had officially come to its end.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 07:10 am
The film I have watched repeatedly (more than any other) is "Lonely are the Brave" from the book (The Brave Cowboy) by Edward Abbey with screen play by Dalton Trumbo.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 08:22 am
Momma Angel wrote:
farmerman,

I loved Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. Kevin Spacey is such a versatile actor. His mentor and Idol is Gene Hackman, another great.

I didn't care for this movie at all after reading the book altho' I'd watch anything with Mr. Spacey in it. He's done many wonderful characters but I think "The Usual Suspects" was his absolute best role. Altho' we were absolutely sure that he was guilty of murder, he convinced us all that he wasn't. Some say that it was the writing but I say that it was his masterful performance that threw the audience completely.

Also, I've always read that it was Jack Lemmon who was Spacey's mentor and idol.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 08:35 am
The weak part of "Midnight" is in the script. The book is an enthralling read and gets into all the detail about the multiple trials.

Spacey in "LA Confidential" is nearly as good as "The Usual Suspects" but that's because he isn't given as much time. I believe eoe may be right that Jack Lemmon was Spacey's mentor although I can also see him paying homage to Hoffman.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 10:37 am
Who wouldn't? Gene Hackman is an institution.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 10:42 am
eoe,

I do think Kevin Spacey made the Usual Suspects. The first time I watched it, I nearly fell out of my chair at the end when he was walking down the street!

I'm going to have to look it up about who his mentor and idol is. For some reason, Jack Lemon sounds right too.

It was the first movie I ever saw him in. Great! Did you like L.A. Confidential? His part wasn't as big as Russell Crowe but I still thought he was fabulous.

Lightwizard,

Thanx for elaborating on Midnight. I never read the book. I think now I am going to!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 10:52 am
The book is great -- it establish the atmosphere that establishes the look of the movie. The story is more involving than the movie was able to convey.

Spacey's death scene when he is shot is one of the best in all of cinema. It was the astonished (beautifully underplayed) look on his face that made it effective.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 01:12 pm
Have to agree, Lightwizard. Kevin Spacey has such a way with looks. Have you seen the Life of David Gayle?

Awesome movie. I got so into that movie I nearly choked on my kool-aid at the ending scene.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 01:52 pm
You know, somehow I kept missing that film on cable. It did terrible box office and wasn't well reviewed. I might catch it one day -- I don't get into the favorite actor routine where I have to see every film they make. I was not that impressed with "The Shipping News" because it had serious script problems and I don't think Anne Proulx was that happy with it either. She certainly was overjoyed at McMurty/Ossana's script for "Brokeback Mountain."
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 02:12 pm
Like every great actor, the movie may suck but their performance is always worth watching. Well, almost always. (Ishtar comes to mind...)

"Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" is a delicious eat-it-up-with-a-spoon kind of book. I adored it.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 02:24 pm
The movie was an unfortunate condensation with characters like Miss Chablis played up a bit to broadly and given too much screen time.
0 Replies