MOVIES YOU CAN WATCH AGAIN AND AGAIN

Soldano

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2004 06:24 pm
Pacino is a master
I was absolutely riveted to Dog Day Afternoon - he singlehandedly carried that film from start to finish. And has managed to give rise to other films which the plot wasn't the greatest. Truly a great actor.

Gotta love him in Heat as rival nemesis to De Niro.

Soldano
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 09:46 am
"Dog Day Afternoon" is a four star movie classic and you're right, Soldano, it's because of the gripping central performance.

"Heat" is great entertainment -- I could watch it again and still love those two performances.
0 Replies

ckthegate

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 09:28 pm
Pretty Woman! think I have EVERY line memorized!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 05:14 am
'The Natural' with Robert Redford. I'm not a baseball fan but I love this movie and what it stands for.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 05:48 am
BRAVE HEART!!!!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 08:34 am
I've tried to sit through "Braveheart" again but it just didn't interest me -- the history is Hollywood and Mel Gibson's two expressions just don't get me going.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 08:39 am
oh what a shame.

well i also love Patton, and a french movie that i forget the name , Amely maybe.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 09:01 am
G.C.Scott. That's more range for ya, huh LW?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 08:51 am
Unfortunately, as far as range, Scott went to the back burner after "Patton." His later choices of movies included performances that Oscar Mayer could have canned in one after the other cinematic trifles: "Hindenburg," "Exorcist III (a terrible performance in an absolutely terrible movie), "Firestarter" (known as the Indian secret agent with the lazy eye). He was, as a matter of fact, never again in an A list movie.

It's unfathomable how he turns in one great performance as a macho General and then finds himself in a general morass of mediocrity, ending up taking TV roles to keep bread on the table.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 09:01 am
I will give him his earlier performances in "Petulia" and "Dr. Strangelove" (although, there he is again as the macho General!)
0 Replies

PamO

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 05:27 pm
My favorites are: Some Like it Hot, Sophies Choice...(when I need a good cry, of course), Out of Africa and that's about it. I've GOT to see a bunch of these that others have listed. I still haven't seen Life is Beautiful, for instance....
0 Replies

Locke15

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 09:55 pm
-Three Kings
-Rush Hour

I have more but they don't come to mind, I can't watch some of my favorite films over, and over again because of the nature of the plot.
0 Replies

Eccles

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 09:00 am
Psycho

- it's not that it's a good movie, only i've got such a crush on Norman Bates. NOOOOO!!!! DOnt't tell me how old Anthony Perkins is, or that he is/was gay! I don't want to know.

Also:

- Amelie

-Harold and Maude
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 09:34 am
Anthony Perkins was gay.

I'm sorry, I could not resist, Eccles -- what a welcome to A2K! But, welcome anyway.

I've likely seen "Psycho" over 25 times, and "Vertigo," "Rear Window," and "North By Northwest" as well. All Hitchcock can be seen again and again and even knowing the ending, it's fascinating to see how the story unfolds. Too many suspense directors manage to have the story unravel instead of unfold.
0 Replies

Eccles

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 10:11 am
Thankyou for your warm welcome.

NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! I don't believe it!!!!! Just after I'd gotten over the fact that he was at least forty years older than me, as well ( sob).

Psycho is an excellent movie, but a little bit slow, and the only character i really liked was Norman Bates. I love that scene at the end with the fly. Oh, and the shower scene was bloody hilarious as well ( even if that wasn't the intended effect)

Have you seen "Rope" with James Stewart ? Everybody always knocks it, but i think it's one of the best Hitchcock movies. The atmosphere is so tense and disturbing that it itches, but somehow that makes it even more appealing. OH, and that actor who played the chicken strangler ( Rupert) was also quite nice as well. Yes , I realise the character was also meant to be gay, but denial is good for the soul. It is, you can deny it all you want, you'll only be supporting my statement . Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Eccles

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 10:11 am
Thankyou for your warm welcome.

NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! I don't believe it!!!!! Just after I'd gotten over the fact that he was at least forty years older than me, as well ( sob).

Psycho is an excellent movie, but a little bit slow, and the only character i really liked was Norman Bates. I love that scene at the end with the fly. Oh, and the shower scene was bloody hilarious as well ( even if that wasn't the intended effect)

Have you seen "Rope" with James Stewart ? Everybody always knocks it, but i think it's one of the best Hitchcock movies. The atmosphere is so tense and disturbing that it itches, but somehow that makes it even more appealing. OH, and that actor who played the chicken strangler ( Rupert) was also quite nice as well. Yes , I realise the character was also meant to be gay, but denial is good for the soul. It is, you can deny it all you want, you'll only be supporting my statement . Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 10:25 am
"The Rope" was filmed with a continuous take like a stage play so was unedited as far as splicing scenes in sequence (I'm not certain that Hitchcock excised any of the shots). It's based, of course, on the famous Leopold-Loeb murder case but very loosely as the body in the trunk was one major diversion from the real murder.

I thought the shower scene, which has become a classic in film history, was disturbing because of the black-and-white. Hitchcock nearly always let one's imagination fill in the blanks. Janet Leigh couldn't take a shower for years because of that one scene.
0 Replies

Eccles

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 10:34 am
I think the reason that i found the shower scene funny rather than disturbing is because I didn't really believe that they would kill her off, and there is something quite artificial about the whole shot.

Razz Aye, I know that, but the question was "what do you think of it?". Razz
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 11:00 am
The scene is artfully shot a-la-Hitchcock so I guess that's a matter of opinion whether it was successful or not. I found the grey blood swirling into the drain along with the soundtrack, the ripping down of the shower curtain and the dead eye appearing in the darkness of the drain blood curdling at the time. Hitchcock would never do anything ordinarily -- maybe the ominous policeman in the early scene when Leigh's car was stopped was just as chilling. I was sure she had been caught and, like you, never imagined she would be knocked off less than half way through the movie. The final scene of Perkin's maniacal grin still sticks with me.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 04:04 pm
I just watched Evil Dead again (for the 5th? time)
0 Replies