How come new members are only men?

Linkat

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 09:21 am
It seems lately that there has been a huge influx of new members that think this forum is awesome and they all have very unique areas of interest. So far I've individuals such as:
Steve Harper, James Hook, David Ray, Lucy James, Stephen Jones, Charle Goster, Duncan Jones and Harry Potterish.

Unique names in themselves - but my real concern is why did they all appear to be men? Except maybe the one named Lucy. Why do this forum appeal so highly to men? And where do they get these names?

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 09:26 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
And where do they get these names?
From name generators ...
Linkat

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 09:33 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I want one - where do I get it?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 09:51 am
@Linkat,
There are quite a few online - try e.g. this one or, more "British", this
Setanta

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 10:19 am
First, what do you mean by "only men?" It makes it sound as though being a man were a problem in itself. Second, there is some joker who keeps logging in with men's names, names which appear to be western, although it is obvious not only that the individual is not a native English-speaker, but that his English is very poor. A great many of these new accounst you see are alsmot certainly generated by this one individual. I have no idea what the joker is up to, but i suspect that whatever it is, he has outwitted himself.
Linkat

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 10:46 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I like it - this is quite fun.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 11:23 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

First, what do you mean by "only men?" It makes it sound as though being a man were a problem in itself.

For a brief second, I thought you were going to start channeling Hawkeye. Laughing Razz

As for this individual or small group whose opening a massive amount of new accounts under these phony sounding real names? Spammers. Short and long term spamming game.
Linkat

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 11:35 am
@tsarstepan,
Yes - I am targeting men - there appears to be only one dumb woman that is spamming.

Typical men. Thinking us women are too dumb not to realize they using real fake names...

And what are they spamming - spam and eggs, perhaps?
ehBeth

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 11:37 am
@Linkat,
I think s/he/it is using men's names. I'm not convinced s/he/it knows that.
Linkat

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 11:41 am
@ehBeth,
the link I got above lets you choose whether you want a male or female name and also how common or uncommon a name. I think this will help when talking to telemarkers.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 11:51 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

I think s/he/it is using men's names. I'm not convinced s/he/it knows that.

You're probably right. It's been suggested (also by myself) elsewhere that these lot of real name spammers is perhaps a spambot in the proverbial Chinese Room. If so, then it probably/most likely would fail the Turing test.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 12:31 pm
@Linkat,
carolgreen287 is a man's name?

I shouldn't mention that one, as it kind of looks like carol is becoming a more or less regular poster. Maybe the various numbers relate to a forgotten password, or something like that.
Linkat

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 12:33 pm
@roger,
I didn't list that one - as I haven't noticed it - I did list Lucy and make note that was one of the few I've seen. It also doesn't follow the same as the ones I mentioned - the ones I've been noticing are the fake real names - in other words they could be real names and if I googled them or face booked them I could potentially find some one named as such.

unlikely to find some one with a number being part of their actual name.
roger

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 12:51 pm
@Linkat,
Oh, I don't know about that. If I wanted the name Roger, and it were already taken, I might log in as Roger87401, which is my zip code. By the way, I made up the number following carolgreen. There was a flurry of them, only distinguished by the following number. There were at least three of them.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 12:54 pm
@roger,
The carolgreen trio is particularly odd. Most of its posts are copies of parts of posts by other posters (sometimes from the same thread, sometimes from other threads). Truly bizarre.
Linkat

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 12:55 pm
@roger,
they sign their new member listing as their full name within the text - just what I have seen in the last couple of weeks. It is the exact same introduction - just a different name and what they are interested in.

Here is a sampling (and I didn't say there were no women - just almost all men's names being used):

Hi
Myself Stephen Jones , I want to participate in the discussion, so I joined here. There are lots of topics to discuss and share. Hope I can get your support to share my experience with all.

Thanks
Stephen Jones

Hello guys,
I am introducing myself here. My name is David Ray . This is very amazing forum, I am very glad here to take part in discussion. I hope all members will help me and gain my knowledge and experience.

Thanks a lot
David Ray

Hi all,
I am new here. My name is Duncan Jones , I joined here because there are many things to learn from here and can gain experience and knowledge from different topics. So I hope all members will invite me to share opinion and interact with me.

Thanks in advance
Duncan Jones

Hello friends
My name Charle Goster, This is a very nice forum and I found a lot of topics and threads very exciting and informative, so I want to get updated and share my knowledge and experience here with you, I hope I can enjoy my stay here with all your cooperation and suggestions.

Thanks and regards
Charle Goster
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 01:12 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Hi
Myself ...
Thanks

Hello guys,
I am introducing myself here. My name is ...
Thanks a lot ...
All that reminds me - ebeth, roger,... will remember - that we did similar ... as exercises in seminars, before we were allowed to join A2K in 2002 ... Wink
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 01:16 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
2002? How time flies.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 01:22 pm
These accounts may be started by a spambot, but one of them actually posted a thread with a question about Halowe'en costumes. If it is a spambot, someone human is putting a lot of time in it. It also occured to me that Chinese security personnel may be test-driving identities to "infiltrate" bulletin boards in order to look for Chinese nationals who are saying naughty things about the Middle Kingdom. Whether one person using the same scripti, slightly altered each time; several individuals using a boilerplate script slight altered each time, or a spambot--i think it's amateurishly transparent.
roger

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 01:57 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I don't recall it being a condition of membership, but I do recall two person teams being expected to contact Abuzz members with invitations to join. Rae and I had a list of 50 names. Some are still here, though regretfully, Mr. Stillwater, Urs, and Bigdice have been absent for some time.

I definately recall a new members' thread to which everyone was directed upon joining. It was voluntary, but I seem to remember that Phoenix took time to welcome each and every one of them. Of course, at that time we were pushing hard to get a hundred members.

When I answer these introductions at all, I do try to be nice unless it's obvious spam. I once posted an introduction on a different forum, and got several nice replies.