ehBeth

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 02:00 pm
@Rockhead,
tonight I think

boomer is probably cleaning her sneakers right now
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2012 02:22 pm
The date went really well. I think they both had a really good time despite them being so nervous! Mo decided that they would sit at a table with us so that we could help him if the conversation lagged. After pizza we sent them off to the ice cream shop across the street on their own. They didn't stay for a long time but long enough, I think, to make it seem more like a date.

She was really nice and easy to be around. Cute, funny, good conversationalist, polite.

The age difference was pretty striking. Turns out, she's almost 14. She's much more physically mature than he is. That was kind of scary (to me and to Mr. B).

But here's the weird thing -- she's in foster care. CPS removed her from her mother 3+ years ago and she was placed with a family friend. Her story is really very similar to Mo's. It makes me think of what Mo's life might have been like if things hadn't gone the way they did.

It's a real pattern with Mo to bring home friends from fucked up families. All of his friends have these really strange, tangled up stories. It's never the typical kind of messed up family -- divorced parents who hate each other, kids deal with visitation issues, blahblahblah. It's always these kind of tragic story kids.

Why is this?

wandeljw

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2012 02:58 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
Mo decided that they would sit at a table with us so that we could help him if the conversation lagged.

Typical boy. As a boy, I had no idea what to say to a girl.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2012 03:34 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
The date went really well. I think they both had a really good time despite them being so nervous!
Mo decided that they would sit at a table with us so that we could help him if the conversation lagged.
I must say, I am really impressed
with the magnitude of Mo's intelligence, boomer.

boomerang wrote:
After pizza we sent them off to the ice cream shop across the street on their own.
That was most considerate of u.

boomerang wrote:
They didn't stay for a long time but long enough, I think, to make it seem more like a date.

She was really nice and easy to be around. Cute, funny, good conversationalist, polite.
Mo is in LUCK!
Will thay continue dating ?
Did Mo ask her for another date ?

boomerang wrote:
The age difference was pretty striking. Turns out, she's almost 14.
She's much more physically mature than he is. That was kind of scary (to me and to Mr. B).
I was under the general impression
that teenage girls deem younger boys to be singularly un-impressive.
Mo 's experience does not appear to bear that out. Comment ?

boomerang wrote:
But here's the weird thing -- she's in foster care.
CPS removed her from her mother 3+ years ago and she was placed
with a family friend. Her story is really very similar to Mo's.
It makes me think of what Mo's life might have been like if things
hadn't gone the way they did.
U were very kind and generous, indeed!

Does the girl know Mo's history ?
Did she know b4 the date ?

boomerang wrote:
It's a real pattern with Mo to bring home friends from fucked up families. All of his friends have these really strange, tangled up stories. It's never the typical kind of messed up family -- divorced parents who hate each other, kids deal with visitation issues, blahblahblah. It's always these kind of tragic story kids.

Why is this?
I imagine that Mo sees some element of his life experience reflected in them.
He empathizes and he sympathizes.

I think he is a good fellow.

David
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 01:02 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Why is this?

Maybe it's fellow feeling. Maybe he recognizes, whether conciously or not, someone whose experience of life is sufficiently similar that they are going to understand one another. You know the captain of the football team or the cheerleading squad, who are raised in a "normal" home are often the leaders of social cliques which would cut kids like Mo and his friends immediately. I suspect he's drawn to kids who are enough like him that there aren't going to be issues of social status.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 10:00 am
I asked Mo this morning if he knew her history before the date and he said he did. She knows that he's adopted and that his parents hadn't been able to take care of him so he came to live with us.

They've been reading "The Outsiders" for class and discussing social class and fucked up families and, apparently, the kids are all being bitingly honest.

I asked Mo which character he most identified with in the story and his answer boiled down to "none of them and all of them".

I'm thinking that's probably a good thing -- something that will come in handy later on in his life.

I guess you can take the kid out of the trouble but you can't take the trouble out of the kid.
Linkat

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 10:11 am
@boomerang,
Have you seen the movie not sure the exact title, but I think it is "The Strange Life of Timothy Green". I thought of this movie when you talked about Mo having an older "girl friend" and being "different" in sense. As in the movie Timothy Green and this girl friend get together because (one he has a huge crush on her) but because she notices he is different like her.

Its kinda like the is someone that can understand me - understand what I went through and what I am going through.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 10:28 am
Where is Mr B? Mo is getting to the age where assistance on dealing with the girls should come mostly from dad. It is time for Mrs B to begin backing off and handing over the reins.
boomerang

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 10:31 am
@Linkat,
I haven't seen it. I heard it was terrifically sad.

I can see how all the explaining gets tiresome for kids. I remember the minor ruckus that Mo caused at school by talking about his sisters. People didn't think they really existed. It was tough on him.
boomerang

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 10:33 am
@hawkeye10,
So I can't talk about it?

Mo and Mr. B went out motorcycle riding all day yesterday and talked about it. I think most boys would be WAY better off if they discussed such things with both men and women. Mo's comfortable talking to me about it so I don't see a problem.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 10:40 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Mo and Mr. B went out motorcycle riding all day yesterday and talked about it. I think most boys would be WAY better off if they discussed such things with both men and women. Mo's comfortable talking to me about it so I don't see a problem.
I agree.
I suspect that Hawkeye is projecting his OWN emotions into the picture.

David
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 10:45 am
@boomerang,
It is I cried - but it does end on a bit of a happy promising note..
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 10:59 am
@Linkat,
I don 't wanna spend time and cash to be made sad.
I 'd choose a better emotion.

David
Linkat

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 11:00 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Its one of those stories where you are sad, but uplifted at the same time.

Besides crying helps clean out your soul. There is a relief feeling after crying.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 11:03 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

I made no accusation....I asked a question.
0 Replies