And they call it puppy love....

boomerang

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2012 02:14 pm
@Helios,
Maybe it is better. God knows I'd never go back there no matter how great it could ever be!

He's very socially adept. It's kind of scary. I worry that he'll grow up to be a politician.
sozobe

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2012 02:19 pm
@boomerang,
How long has he known her?
boomerang

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2012 02:24 pm
@sozobe,
Four weeks? Since school started at the end of August.

But there was another girl he was interested in before this one. It didn't progress to the texting/join us for pizza stage.

She's probably been his girlfriend for about a week.

I'll give her some credit -- one of the texts Mo showed me was her suggesting they keep this quiet at school. I gave Mo a stern warning about keeping her communications to him private; that he should not be sharing them with the guys.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2012 02:43 pm
@boomerang,
Just to add to the confusion - my 13 year old has found a new friend (girl - both are girls) - they will text each other hear and there. She knows we will look at stuff - need to have such rules. But we rarely do.

The other day scrolling through some texts - they are texting each other - I luv you - I luv you more - with all these colorful hearts. My husband asks me - what do you make of this? Two girls saying they love each other. I shrugged it off. With all the heart stuff - reminds me of writing on each others books covers in middle school.

Now my daughter talks to me about crushes she has on certain boys/boy bands and who she likes or thinks is cute in those bands.

But I think texting and emails tends to make kids (and adults) more free in a sense on saying things - things they wouldn't say face to face.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2012 02:48 pm
@boomerang,
"He's very socially adept. It's kind of scary. I worry that he'll grow up to be a politician. "

socially adept is a wonderful thing.

and mo is much too intelligent to go into politics...

is there any youth theater opportunity near you?

tico and I both benefitted from a summer theater program at about mo's age.

(tico was actually too young, but he was huge...)
boomerang

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2012 03:35 pm
@Linkat,
Thanks for this. Really. I hadn't really considered the actual texting aspect of it and I think this is a really good point. It's a different type of communication and one I'm not well versed in but I do know that text based communication is different.

I don't think I'll ever have to spy on Mo. He tells me everything and he's so damn honest. Sometimes it concerns me.
boomerang

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2012 03:44 pm
@Rockhead,
I've tried to get him to go to acting classes. I have a strong hunch he'd be really good at it. He has the ability to slip into other people's mannerisms and speech patterns that is downright frightening. He notices small details about people.

He also LOVES public speaking. He is shockingly good at doing oral presentations at school. His teacher was gobsmacked last year when they had to do an oral report on a historical figure. Mo picked JFK. His teacher said she had never had a student embody their character like Mo did.

I can't convince him to go to acting class. His school does have a partnership with PlayWrite (www.playwriteinc.org/) so I'm hoping he'll explore.

Did you and Tico grow up together?
Linkat

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2012 03:52 pm
@boomerang,
yeah my daughter pretty much tells me everything - not as much her dad (but being a girl I can see why). She does know that I don't hide things from him and I'll tell her if I will tell him something I can tell she'd prefer me not to. Sometimes I don't tell him - but it is more harmless girl stuff that she'd be embarassed about.

and I don't consider it spying if you let them know you will be looking from time to time. I am more concerned that some one sends her something inappropriate that she doesn't understand she should tells us about - due to being young and naivee. She has told me some stuff when she realizes it is inappropriate.
Linkat

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2012 03:56 pm
@boomerang,
That would be fun- it made me think - I like how most schools now do these sorts of oral reports - where you become the character - dress up like them and talk about yourself.

My daughter was Eleneor Roosevelt once and Lousia May Alcott. I think it makes it much more fun and interesting for the kids.
boomerang

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2012 03:57 pm
@Linkat,
Same thing happens here. Mo will say "Don't tell dad...." and I say "Then you'd better not tell me...."

Then he'll tell me anyway.

And then he tells is dad.

Once in a while we'll have a conversation and agree that it is just between the two of us until further notice -- like the one we had yesterday about pot smoking. I told him not to bring it up to his dad until I'd had a chance to talk to dad first. (No, Mo isn't smoking pot.)
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2012 04:00 pm
@Linkat,
I like it too. A couple of the kids really got into it. The wee tiny girl who did Neil Armstrong blew everyone away!

As long as they didn't make me do it. I hate public speaking and will go to great lengths to avoid it.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2012 10:00 pm
@boomerang,
"Did you and Tico grow up together? "

he used to follow me around a lot when we were kids...

he's much younger than I am.

hard to imagine, I know, but conservatism has made him kinda stodgy...

Mo reminds me a lot of me in some of your posts.

I didn't really enjoy acting until late in high school when I started taking character roles.

but I loved the process of the stage.

building sets and making it all happen.

to the point that I am back pursuing it as a career. sort of...

we did a summer theater that was an all in one production. we built it and then put it on in different venues over the summer.

it was not so serious as to be a "class".

I got a girlfriend out of it. until school started again. wound up working with her dad about 10 years later on some job sites...

I shoulda held on to her. he owned his own plumbing company.

Tico loosened up a lot and had some fun, as I remember back 35 years...
boomerang

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2012 07:26 pm
@Rockhead,
That's really cool!

Did you figure out that you knew each other from being on here or did one of you tell the other about A2K or what?

How fun. I've always wondered if I actually knew someone on here....
boomerang

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2012 07:28 pm
The date is actually going to happen. I talked to Jill's mom on the phone tonight and everything is set.

I cannot describe how weird this feels.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2012 07:31 pm
@boomerang,
I joined the fantasy baseball league from here on his invite.

then jes invited me here, and he said he didn't mind.

but he may have since reversed his position...

osso once started a thread covering most of the rest of my arrival...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2012 07:32 pm
@boomerang,
just roll with it...

this is the first of many rollercoaster mo moments.

hormones are fun...
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2012 07:33 pm
Gus was my childhood friend. Smile
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 02:57 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
So Mo has a girlfriend. This isn't like his old "girlfriends" who he saw only at school. Thanks to smartphones, these two are texting each other all the time and saying "I love you" and stuff. (Mo showed me the texts, I didn't invade his phone.)

We usually go out for pizza on Saturdays and let Mo take a friend. This week he's invited "Jill" on a "date" and she has said yes. He would like for Jill and him to sit at their own table so it would seem more like a real date.

I don't really want to make a big deal of it, he and his chosen friend often sit at another table on pizza night, and really he's just invited a different friend for pizza but this feels.... well.... different. If he'd invited a new male friend from school I wouldn't feel any hesitation and that feels kind of wrong too.

I know I'll need to talk to one of Jill's parents to set the thing up (and of course they may say no) and I'm kind of floundering here.

Is this just a really bad idea?

I've given him the "you need to slow this waaaaaay down" talk, explaining that saying I love you to someone is a big deal and that he needs to be careful about what he's texting to this girl.

I probably need to expand on this talk but in what direction do I take it.

Thanks to technology, schoolyard romance has reached a whole new level of crazy making.

What say you, oh A2K?
I think that if u support his efforts,
Mo will hold u in hi regard & in gratitude for it, for his life time.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 02:59 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
The date is actually going to happen.
I talked to Jill's mom on the phone tonight and everything is set.

I cannot describe how weird this feels.
Just be helpful & supportive.

David
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 01:39 pm
tap tap tap...

wondering how the big pizza date turned out.