Identity Theft

gollum

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 05:14 pm
I received an unsolicited offer in the mail to attend a free several hour conference at a major hotel to learn about buying income producing property. As part of the offer I am to receive a digital camera.

Is there a risk in attending such a conference? A friend told me that I may be required to give my social security number and date of birth and that this could result in my identity being stolen.

May I give an incorrect date of birth and/or social security number? Or would that be illegal?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 2,099 • Replies: 6
No top replies

jcboy

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 05:37 pm
@gollum,
Been there done that.

There is no reason for anyone to ask for your personal information to attend a sales pitch seminar, and to me that’s what this sounds like. Digital camera’s are so cheap now, to me its not worth sitting through a seminar to get one free, but that’s just me.
gollum

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 06:21 pm
@jcboy,
Would my giving an incorrect DOB and/or SS# have legal consequences?
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2012 03:50 am
@gollum,

it's a scam, ignore it...
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2012 11:16 am
@gollum,
Quote:
Would my giving an incorrect DOB and/or SS# have legal consequences?

I think there are only legal consequences in situations where you would be committing perjury by giving false information.

If you apply for a credit card, and you deliberately give them an incorrect SS# they will just deny you the card.

If you're trying to defraud or mislead a government agency (IRS, Medicare, etc.), and you give them a phony SS# you'll likely wind up in a heap of legal trouble.

If you go to a free seminar, and they ask for your SS#, you tell them it's none of their business.
If you choose to give them false information, there would be no legal consequence to you since they have no legitimate legal reason for the request or legitimate legal authority to penalize you for giving them false information.

People lie about their age all the time. Again, unless you'd be committing perjury by doing so, don't worry about that.

If you want to go to that free seminar, and listen to their sales pitch, feel free to give them an incorrect DOB, and tell them to get lost if they ask your SS#, or make one up if feel too wimpy to do that. And demand your digital camera, even without giving out info like SS#'s, even fake ones, since the offer of the camera is simply connected to your attendance and sitting through their spiel.

If you attend that "seminar", expect to wind up on a lot of sucker mailing lists, with all sorts of offers, and you'll likely get a lot of unsolcited phone offers as well.

I once went to one of those freebee seminars, simply out of curiosity. They didn't request any sensitive identifying info I'd want to protect, but the sales pitch was extremely dull, the free give-away was such junk I left it there, and the cookies they put out weren't worth wasting calories.

0 Replies

Aldrichbrucea

Reply Fri 22 Mar, 2013 12:58 am
In this type of cases firstly identify or diagnose the theft.
0 Replies

AndersondLawyer

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2013 12:46 am
@gollum,
This is again complex as you can conceal your identity from anybody you wish but not to the State or organizations belonging to the government as this is illegal.
0 Replies