JLNobody

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 05:38 pm
truth
Fresco, this thread is too deep for me. I suspect it has to do with string theory and multiple dimensions into which socks pass back and forth freely. This might also explain why other people's socks often end up in my dresser drawer.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 06:46 pm
In my parent's house, I attribute missing socks to the sock-eating monster that lives in the closet. How the monster is never there when I look for it is of no consequence - it's been well-established by me and my sister for many years that that closet has mysterious teleportational properties to it, involving the chain that turns the light off. I have never had quite the same rate of unexplained sock casualties when I am in a room with a closet without a pull-chain.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 06:51 pm
SealPoet wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:
Maybe he eats socks. (This of course doesn't explain how they wind up under Child's bed.)

Ummm... do I have to spell it out for you?

Is that a masturbation accusation? If so Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad opps, my bad Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

kirsten

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 09:46 pm
On a related subject ladies, ever notice how the odds of tearing a hole in pantyhose the first time you put them on, increases in direct proportion to their cost?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 10:25 pm
Certainly that makes sense re the rule of disproportionate expense as related to saved penny purchases.

I'm not entirely kidding. When I went through my lab technology training at Scripps Institute, nylons were one of my major expenses. I think I quickly learned from others to buy 'supp hose', yucko, but useful.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 10:47 pm
They made you wear panty hose? I haven't worn panty hose since I was 7.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 11:01 pm
Well, you weren't born then, I don't think.
I have no idea if RN's and Lab technologists have to wear pantyhose when wearing skirts now.

The year I took trig at a city college in the summer between university semesters I was dumbfounded to hear I couldn't wear slacks.

I have to comment that a lot of what we all take for granted now didn't happen all that long ago. Perhaps long ago to the relatively young.

On a slightly expanded subject here, part of my mental expanse, such as it is, was getting ahold of the idea that my own place in time wasn't all there is/was. Not to accuse you of not understanding that. Just that understanding that ... grows. It is growing for me even now, many years later. and still it is sort of a surprise.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 05:14 am
Haha, I guess I spoke (typed) before I thought really.... I'm going to college now and I see profs dressed sort of like I am and students wearing pj's to class. Panty hose is really in a different world. We've all got a somewhat narrow perspective on things, I suppose.
0 Replies

kirsten

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 07:21 am
Aha! I just changed bed linens and found on that went AWOL in the corner of a fitted sheet. Very Happy
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 12:40 pm
Fresco;
i think what we should all do to properly reward you for starting this thread, is to all line up in a row, and have you walk by.
And as you pass by we can each give you a SOCK!
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 01:01 pm
Just make sure its an odd number of people.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 03:10 pm
BoGoWo

Sock it to me ! Laughing
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 07:50 pm
Acquiunk wrote:
Just make sure its an odd number of people.

We're all pretty odd here, Acquiunk.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 08:20 pm
Then we'd better mix the color of the socks
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 10:26 pm
I tried to find the answer to this same question just about a month ago, by the most reasonable means possible. I put myself in for a cycle. You'd be surprised to find out how little I accomplished. I then tried tying numbered strings to each sock, and letting them hang out of the dryer. I count before and after each time, and have lost no socks. This leads to the conclusion that they must be lost in the washer (contrary to popular belief) and NOT the dryer. That should be helpful if anyone wants to continue my work.
0 Replies

Ravenfeeder

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 09:38 pm
A sock disappears because there is no quantum entanglement with its mate. It is the laundry equivalent of a husband going out for a pack of smokes and never returning. Chances are that the sock has a private life elsewhere much like Gogol's nose.

There is also the theory of the sock eating dog. So check the puppy 'tels' in your yard now and then.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 09:41 pm
Mine turn into hangers. Not of the airplane variety though...that would be cool.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 05:27 am
Quantum theory will explain anything you need explained. Anything at all.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 05:50 am
Merry Andrew wrote:
Quantum theory will explain anything you need explained. Anything at all.

Well, that explains the horrible boils on my ass. It seems my universe is expanding, not shrinking.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 06:05 am
Does it explain why, every morning, I am pissed off that the clocks are five minutes fast, but, by quitting time I am happy about it?

Has my parallel hypotenuse shifted?

Joe
0 Replies