fresco

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 02:42 am
Dualist and nondualist explanations welcome !
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 14,382 • Replies: 100
No top replies

Portal Star

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 03:11 am
When I was living in the doorms I'd pick up random other people's underwear with my laundry. I think the socks were jealous of the underwear and morphed during the rinse cycle.
0 Replies

Eve

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 03:30 am
Well wouldn't you make your escape whenever you could if you were trodden underfoot every day.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 04:04 am
I do believe that the manufacturers embed something in the sock's fibers that cause them to attempt to get away from one another. It is like when you turn a magnet around, and it repels, rather than attracts.

The purpose of this manufacturing technique is to enable the makers of the socks to create an open ended market for their products, obliging people to purshase more and more socks.

If one is REALLY clever, you can avoid this shameless ploy of excessive consumerism. BUY ALL THE SAME SOCKS. There are certain downsides to this strategy, like having your white cotton athletic socks seen under the hem of your tuxedo trousers, but that is a small price to pay for intelligent frugality!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 04:59 am
The real solution here is to have your feet tattooed the right color. Mine are black with those longitudinals spaced out evenly around my calf.

And socks disappear due to the very well known fact that the spinning of the washing machine opens a wormhole in the universe through which they flow. There are millions of socks on a planet in some distant star system where they kept all their socks because they tattoo their feet the right color.

Glad to help.

Joe
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 05:10 am
I have had similar experiences to portal's except that my socks just change into other people's socks. Or sometimes they change into one of my socks, but a different one, so that I don't have any pairs left.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 05:19 am
Then, there is the corollary problem, which apparently has taken hold of my life. I have a lot of sport socks, that look basically similar. There ARE differences though, like length and weight of sock, and various and sundry logos printed on said socks.

It is beyond my understanding. I will put the correct pairs together. When I go to wear them, the two socks that I have put together, are obviously different.

I wonder what causes this? Do the socks repartner while they are in the sock drawer, just to torment me? An inquiring mind needs to know!
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 07:04 am
righteous socks are called up in the rapture.

Laundromat trick. If you lose a sock, simply cannot find its mate... throw the survivor sock into someone else's dryer.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 07:10 am
I'd still like to get a peek a that machine which some commercial laundries use. You know, the one that tears random buttons off my shirts and sends them flying at high velocity through my socks and jockey shorts.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 07:42 am
I think littlek's left underwire travels through the universe, settling down briefly in random washing machines, hooking up with socks for short interludes, then dropping them at the next stop.

I believe I have a right underwire on a similar voyage of sexual exploration.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 08:27 am
I have heard that socks are just pupae. When they mature they transform into hangers.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 08:31 am
That explains it!

Thanks, ebp.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 08:39 am
Joes explanation of a wormhole is wrong. There is solid theoretical evidence (which I have unfortunately misplaced) that proves that the explanation can be found in string theory. The rotation of the dryer causes one of those extra dimensions to temporarily unravel and socks are of the correct physical size to slip through the boundary. Their position is unstable however which is why they ultimately appear at inconvenient moments, poking out from under the living room sofa.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 08:42 am
Re: Why do socks disappear?
fresco wrote:
Dualist and nondualist explanations welcome !

come on make up your mind; are we talking 'one' sock of "two"! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 08:53 am
I have a number of serious solutions to this - 'problem? - .

First don't ever wash your socks - problem solved (caution there could arise a seperate, but even more 'astringent' problem).

Next tie a string to each pair of socks, and check it frequently to insure it doesn't come loose. (don't plan on 'running' a lot!)

If these don't work get your socks custom manufactured out of cultured human skin, and apply them with crazy glue (bonds skin instantly, according to the warnings).

And lastly DO NOT do what i do! Shocked

[when i say foolish things, people tell me to "put a sock in it"; i seem to go through an awful lot of socks (and the problem is further agravated by my first suggestion)] Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 11:44 am
Thank you all for your views on this most serious matter.

According to Prigogines theory of dissipative structures a system (in this case a sock) can under go spontaneous structural shifts according to the "history of shifting" of the system. And allowing for Sheldrakes theory of morphic resonance it takes only one sock in the universe to shift to an unrecognizable state (relative to its mate) for all socks to learn of this option. Socks can of course (like electrons) revert back to former states but by this time it can be too late because the partner may have metamorphosed !

The answer is of course for manufacturers to sell socks in three's so that there is a much greater probability of securing a pair !
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 11:56 am
Anytime I look under my bed I see tons of socks.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 12:05 pm
I have another theory.

There is a gnome that follows me around. He always puts the toilet seat up (after I have certainly left it down). He squeezes the toothpaste from the middle of the tube and he is always moving my keys around.

My wife, for some strange reason, doesn't think he exists. But I know he is there. I mean, how else could you explain all of these things?

Maybe he eats socks. (This of course doesn't explain how they wind up under Child's bed.)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 03:27 pm
Simply clothespin your socks together before placing in washing machine. You will be rewarded with a unique clumping drum roll, especially after you transfer the load to the dryer, and possibly some mechanical diffficulty to keep your mind off the nature of socks themselves.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 04:40 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Maybe he eats socks. (This of course doesn't explain how they wind up under Child's bed.)

Ummm... do I have to spell it out for you?
0 Replies