Does this bother anyone else?

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2012 06:35 am
Mitt Romney wrote:

I’m outraged by the attacks on American diplomatic missions in Libya and Egypt and by the death of an American consulate worker in Benghazi. It’s disgraceful that the Obama administration’s first response was not to condemn attacks on our diplomatic missions, but to sympathize with those who waged the attacks.

It seems to me that you don't use the death of Americans as a political attack. Romney should, as any other American, stand behind our commander in chief when responding to an attack against us. And it would be presidential of Romney if he showed diplomacy instead of grasping at any opportunity, including violence against Americans, for political gain.

I thought he was running on the economy?

raprap

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2012 07:41 am
@maxdancona,
My problem is that Romney is putting being a Republican over being an American. Good, bad or indifferent when it comes to international diplomacy you are don't criticise any action of the US State without knowing status.

Consequently, the first action of any wanna-be-a-leader is to offer a united front to a mutual foe. In this Romney fails.

Rap

0 Replies

revelette

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2012 08:02 am
I am not disappointed in Romney because I have no expectations of Romney except to politicize every single event that happens disregarding all thoughts of truth.

Quote:
The Romney campaign's statement seemed to be an attempt to capitalize on the appearance that the Obama administration -- which has overseen the Arab Spring, and the rise of Islamist governments in both Egypt and Libya -- was capitulating to the sensitivities of an unruly Muslim crowd, rather than backing the right of an American citizen to release a disrespectful film.

But the statement criticized by the Romney campaign came early in the day, before the attacks on the two embassies, and was put out not by the White House, but by the Cairo embassy itself.

The White House later disavowed the statement as not approved by Washington, according to a senior administration official speaking to Politico.

Obama campaign spokesman Ben LaBolt also commented on the statement from the Romney campaign. “We are shocked that, at a time when the United States of America is confronting the tragic death of one of our diplomatic officers in Libya, Governor Romney would choose to launch a political attack,” LaBolt said in a statement.

source

Now rather than simply expressing the sorrow of people getting killed, we are talking about Romney and his response.

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2012 08:29 am
Further evidence that Romney is not ready for prime time foreign relations discussions. He's getting really bad advice from several sectors including the RNC in the person of Reince Priebus who seems to know less about international issues than anyone I've ever seen on a serious news/talk show.

Joe(Notice that Ryan keep his big mouth shut.)Nation
revelette

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2012 09:32 am
@Joe Nation,
I think you are giving Mitt Romney the benefit of just having bad advisers. This is a deliberate strategy to paint Obama as a terrorist sympathizer. I guess he feels the pressure to "fight" from Ingraham to fight any way he can using all foul means possible.

Mitt Romney Stands By Criticism Of Obama Administration

Mitt Romney Critics Hammer Campaign For Failure To Fight

revelette

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2012 10:21 am
Timeline

TUESDAY:

Shortly before noon, EDT: The U.S. Embassy in Cairo issues a statement condemning the video promoted by anti-Muslim Florida pastor Terry Jones. "The Embassy of the United States in Cairo condemns the continuing efforts by misguided individuals to hurt the religious feelings of Muslims -- as we condemn efforts to offend believers of all religions," it reads. "Today, the 11th anniversary of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on the United States, Americans are honoring our patriots and those who serve our nation as the fitting response to the enemies of democracy. Respect for religious beliefs is a cornerstone of American democracy. We firmly reject the actions by those who abuse the universal right of free speech to hurt the religious beliefs of others."

A mob gathers outside the embassy in Cairo throughout the day, and some storm the compound by nightfall. The embassy tweets that it stood by its statement as its compound is entered.

10:09 p.m.: The Mitt Romney campaign sends out a statement embargoed for release after midnight -- in other words, after the 9/11 truce for the presidential campaign has ended -- attacking the Obama administration's response to incidents in Libya and Egypt. "I'm outraged by the attacks on American diplomatic missions in Libya and Egypt and by the death of an American consulate worker in Benghazi," Romney says. "It's disgraceful that the Obama Administration's first response was not to condemn attacks on our diplomatic missions, but to sympathize with those who waged the attacks."

10:10 p.m.: Politico reports that the Obama administration is disavowing the statement by the U.S. Embassy in Cairo.

10:25 p.m.: The embargo on Romney's statement is prematurely lifted.

10:44 p.m.: Secretary of State Hillary Clinton condemns attacks on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi.

WEDNESDAY:

12:01 a.m.: Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Preibus tweets, "Obama sympathizes with attackers in Egypt. Sad and pathetic."

12:09 a.m.: Obama campaign press secretary Ben LaBolt responds, "We are shocked that, at a time when the United States of America is confronting the tragic death of one of our diplomatic officers in Libya, Governor Romney would choose to launch a political attack."

Sometime after midnight: Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin pens a stinging Facebook post: "Apparently President Obama can't see Egypt and Libya from his house." She asks when President Obama will speak out. "If he doesn't have a 'big stick' to carry, maybe it's time for him to grow one."

6:06 a.m.: The Associated Press tweets that Libyan officials say U.S. Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other embassy staffers were killed at the Benghazi consulate, which was under attack by a mob with machine guns and rocket-propelled grenades.

7:21 a.m.: President Obama issues a statement condemning the deaths in Benghazi, including the death of Ambassador Stevens. "Right now, the American people have the families of those we lost in our thoughts and prayers. They exemplified America's commitment to freedom, justice, and partnership with nations and people around the globe, and stand in stark contrast to those who callously took their lives."

8:38 a.m.: House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) condemns the attack on Americans in Libya, without criticizing Obama.

9:14 a.m.: Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) issues a statement much along the same lines, condemning the attacks.

9:16 a.m.: House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Va.) condemns the attacks.

9:52 a.m.: Sens. John McCain (R-Ariz.), Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) and Joe Lieberman (I-Conn.) condemn the attacks. "We cannot resign ourselves to the false belief that the Arab Spring is doomed to be defined not by the desire for democracy and freedom that has inspired millions of people to peaceful action, but by the dark fanaticism of terrorists," they say.

10:32 a.m.: Priebus tweets again, "Our prayers are w/Ambassador Stevens’ family and the families of those killed in the attacks in Libya. We mourn their loss and grieve w/them"
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2012 10:30 am
@revelette,
Oh, it's a deliberate strategy alright, do you thin Mitt thought it up by himself?

Joe(If the situation wasn't so grave, I'd find something to be pleased about)Nation.
revelette

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2012 11:40 am
@Joe Nation,
I doubt he thought it up by himself but I am sure he approved it cause he keeps on defending it. Aside from the falsehoods, there is usually a period after something like this happening where you at least take time to observe the passing of Americans dying in line of their duties. But in today's political world, I guess it isn't possible.

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2012 12:24 pm
@revelette,
I think we agree he's a dolt and the dolts he's chosen to assist him are dolts.

Joe(except for the maroons)Nation
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2012 12:24 pm
may have been planned in advance.

Quote:
UPDATE: U.S. officials have told The New York Times and CNN that the deadly consulate attack in Benghazi, Libya, which killed U.S. Ambassador Chris Stevens, may have been planned in advance.

According to the CNN report, "attackers used the protest outside the consulate as a diversion," though sources "could not say whether the attacker instigated the protest or merely took advantage of it."
DrewDad

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 07:56 am
@revelette,
Gee... they had automatic weapons and RPGs, and it MIGHT have been planned in advance?

revelette

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 09:05 am
@DrewDad,
Your right, should have gave them a big clue. However, what is really not clear, as near as I can find, was whether the attackers were part of the protesters or AQ who merely took advantage of the protest.

There is more protest over the anti Ilsam movie in Yemen.

Yemen Protests: Demonstrators Angered By Anti-Islam Film Storm U.S. Embassy In Sanaa

revelette

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 10:49 am
@revelette,
From what I can tell from the following article is that it was militants taking advantage of the protest to carry out 2 part planned attack.

Libya Attack Said To Be 2-Part Militant Assault
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 11:33 am
@revelette,
revelette wrote:

I am not disappointed in Romney because I have no expectations of Romney except to politicize every single event that happens disregarding all thoughts of truth.

Strange but when I heard about Romney doing this my thought was "meh, par for the course, no big deal." It only occured to me several hours later after listening to the blowback he is getting that my opinion of Romney has fallen so far during this campaign that hearing him lie or distort the death of four US citizens into an attack on the President on 9-11 was completely expected. I would never so cavalierly dismissed such comments by any other presidential candidate in my lifetime.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2012 07:39 am
Most mornings on morning Jo all about Joe Scarborough and how he knows everything all along and has all these discussions with known people who agree with him. He makes my stomoach turn to tell the truth and I don't know how the rest of them put up with him without a bunch of eye rolling.

This morning he had this say.

Quote:
This morning on MSNBC, Joe Scarborough accused every single person in Muslim and Arab world of hating the United States. According to Scarborough, “if you scratch the surface, and if you gave every street vendor to prime minister in that region a chance to throw a rock at the U.S. embassy, they would.”

Scarborough added: “You know why they hate us? They hate us because of their religion, they hate us because of their culture, and they hate us because of peer pressure.” He said that anyone who believes “we’re going to go over there and change them” is “naive.”

Scarborugh’s Islamophobic diatribe encountered little resistance on the set of Morning Joe. His co-host Mika Brzezinski responded in apparent agreement, “look what is happening in Afghanistan 11 years later.”

Following the murder of four Americans in Libya, the people of Benghazi held a demonstration against terrorism and in support of the United States. According to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, many Libyans helped defend the embassy during the attack and “helped rescue and lead other Americans to safety.” The Atlantic noted, “Just like not all Americans are like the people who made the weird anti-Islam movie that is sparking protests in Muslim nations, not all people in Libya are like the ones who killed U.S. ambassador Chris Stevens.”

links at the source

0 Replies

revelette

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 08:43 am
I realize people have almost forgotten these events outside our election news but, I found this news thi s morning and to me, it was encouraging.

Quote:
Benghazi Anti-Militia Protest: Libyan Protesters Drive Islamist Militia From Country's 2nd-Largest City

BENGHAZI, Libya, Sept 22 (Reuters) - A Libyan Islamist militia was swept out of the eastern city of Benghazi in a popular protest against the armed groups that ran into the early hours of Saturday morning, Reuters witnesses said.

At least one person was killed and 20 wounded, a hospital source said, as militias tried to fight the demonstrators from a heavily fortified base. Gunfire could be heard in the area before the fighters were forced out.

Looters carried weapons out of the vacated Ansar al-Sharia military base compound as men clapped and chanted: "Say to Ansar al-Sharia, Benghazi will be your inferno."

Ansar al-Sharia has been linked to the attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi last week in which the U.S. ambassador to Libya and three other Americans died. It denies involvement.

The action against the group appeared to be part of a coordinated sweep of militia headquarters buildings by police, government troops and activists following a mass public demonstration against militia units on Friday.

Chanting "Libya, Libya," hundreds of demonstrators entered, pulling down militia flags and torching a vehicle inside Ansar al-Sharia's headquarters in Benghazi - once the base of forces of former leader Muammar Gaddafi, which tried to put down the first protests that sparked last year's uprising.

The crowd waved swords and even a meat cleaver, crying "No more al Qaeda!" and "The blood we shed for freedom shall not go in vain!"

"After what happened at the American consulate, the people of Benghazi had enough of the extremists," demonstrator Hassan Ahmed said. "They did not give allegiance to the army. So the people broke in and they fled."

"This place is like the Bastille. This is where Gaddafi controlled Libya from, and then Ansar al-Sharia took it over. This is a turning point for the people of Benghazi."

Adusalam al-Tarhouni, a government worker, who arrived with the first wave of protesters, said several pickup trucks with the group's fighters had initially confronted the protesters and opened fire. Two protesters were shot in the leg, he said.

"After that they got into their trucks and drove away," he said, adding protesters had freed four prisoners found inside.

As protesters left Ansar al-Sharia's headquarters, the crowd swelled, reaching thousands as it headed toward its military base, which was shared with another militia group.

Protesters said the militiamen opened fire as they arrived and several people were wounded.

"We came as peaceful protesters. When we got there they started shooting at us," student Sanad al-Barani said. "Five people were wounded beside me. They used 14.5 calibre machine guns."

After the crowd entered that compound, Libyan army trucks sped away from the base carrying government troops cheering in victory and crying out, "God is greatest."

Vigilantes armed with machetes and clubs blocked the highway leading away from the compound, stopping cars to prevent looters from driving off with heavy weapons.

"We went into the camp and we didn't find anyone. We just took these Kalashnikovs," said one youth, holding rifles.

rest at the source
Joe Nation

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 08:50 am
@revelette,
Good news indeed.

Joe(thanks for posting)Nation
0 Replies