Does freedom of speech excuse preaching hate?

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 07:12 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

You have to understand Max, speech is not a protected freedom in the UK, and izzy being the sort of chauvinist Brit that can't stand American chauvinism, thinks that's just the way it should be.

You're especially right here Finn. The irony is quite palatable.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 07:12 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Any defence of freedom of speech is meaningless when lies
are given the same amount of respect as the truth.
WHO defines "the truth"?? WHO is the Judge??
Is that in the Constitution, somewhere ??

izzythepush wrote:
When push came to shove, during the run up to the Iraq war,
the American Media caved in to the demands of the Bush administartion and towed the party line.
Was there SOMEONE in the NY Times, or the Village Voice who KNEW for a fact
that after searching, NO nukes, nor chemical weapons, nor-biological warfare weapons woud be found???????

David

Quote:
Battered by accusations of a liberal bias and determined to prove their conservative critics wrong, the press during the run-up to the war -- timid, deferential, unsure, cautious, and often intentionally unthinking -- came as close as possible to abdicating its reason for existing in the first place, which is to accurately inform citizens, particularly during times of great national interest. Indeed, the MSM's failings were all the more important because of the unusually influential role they played in advance of the war-of-choice with Iraq. "When America has been attacked -- at Pearl Harbor, or as on September 11 -- the government needed merely to tell the people that it was our duty to respond, and the people rightly conferred their authority," [That is a liberal lie; the federal government HAS Constitutional authority to wage war. Article I, Section 8. David] noted Harold Meyerson in the American Prospect magazine. "But a war of choice is a different matter entirely. In that circumstance, the people will ask why. The people will need to be convinced that their sons and daughters and husbands and wives should go halfway around the world to fight a nemesis that they didn't really know was a nemesis."

It's not fair to suggest the MSM alone convinced Americans to send some sons and daughter to fight. But the press went out of its way to tell a pleasing, administration-friendly tale about the pending war. In truth, Bush never could have ordered the invasion of Iraq -- never could have sold the idea at home -- if it weren't for the help he received from the MSM, and particularly the stamp of approval he received from so-called liberal media institutions such as the Washington Post, which in February of 2003 alone, editorialized in favor of war nine times. (Between September 2002 and February 2003, the paper editorialized twenty-six times in favor of the war.) The Post had plenty of company from the liberal East Coast media cabal, with high-profile columnists and editors -- the newfound liberal hawks -- at the New Yorker, Newsweek, Time, the New York Times, the New Republic and elsewhere all signing on for a war of preemption. By the time the invasion began, the de facto position among the Beltway chattering class was clearly one that backed Bush and favored war. Years later the New York Times Magazine wrote that most "journalists in Washington found it almost inconceivable, even during the period before a fiercely contested midterm election [in 2002], that the intelligence used to justify the war might simply be invented." Hollywood peace activists could conceive it, but serious Beltway journalists could not? That's hard to believe. More likely journalists could conceive it but, understanding the MSM unspoken guidelines -- both social and political -- were too timid to express it at the time of war.

http://online.santarosa.edu/presentation/page/?37018

“Any dictator would admire the uniformity and obedience of the U.S. media.”

Noam Chomsky
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 07:14 am
@izzythepush,
Not for sane people. Rarely do people react violently to it - then may spew more hate, but rarely does it erupt into violence. Violent crazy people react in violence.

How many times have we seen hateful words and symbols spray painted on Jewish church - do they react in violence?
izzythepush

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 07:14 am
@maxdancona,
I think it's a step to say we no longer have freedom of speech just because we're not allowed to spread hate.

I accept that you don't have those restrictions, but as my above posting on the run up to the Iraq war shows, freedom of speech is a bit of a misnomer when your media outlets are all pressed to tow the party line.

Whatever way you look at it, spreading hate and lies is an abuse of freedom of speech, and not something to cherish.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 07:16 am

Government has NO JURISDICTION over emotions, in America.

Does government in England have such jurisdiction, Izzy ??

David
engineer

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 07:18 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Any defence of freedom of speech is meaningless when lies are given the same amount of respect as the truth. When push came to shove, during the run up to the Iraq war, the American Media caved in to the demands of the Bush administartion and towed the party line.

But there were protests against the run up to the war in the US with no arrests and if the media had been critical of the President, that would have been allowed. You rail against freedom of speech and then rail against the lack of it. Which way do you want to go? If you ban "hate speech" then would the US Christian majority use that to stifle any critisism of religious organizations? Is this hate speech as the Catholic church claimed? Is the church engaging in hate speech like Daily Kos claimed? If all speech can be declared hate speech is any free speech allowed?
izzythepush

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 07:23 am
@Linkat,
I don't draw the line at all, we've got laws for that.

Calling you a bitch, or you calling me an arsehole, would probably be classed as fair comment. It's not inciting violence against anyone.

If a group called for all Americans to be killed however, that would be classed as hate.

There's a case currently before the courts about an OAP sending hate mail making a lot of column inches in our local paper.

Quote:
Prosecutor Julian Knowles QC told the court that Walker, of Walnut Drive, Fareham, should not be protected under Article 10 of the Human Rights Act – which concerns freedom of expression – to protect the public and because the letters constituted “hate speech”.

He said: “You can campaign to get Britain out of the EU, you can call Gordon Brown a liar, but you can't do it in such an extreme way that you’re actively promoting dislike of other races or faiths – and that's what Mrs Walker has done.”

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/district/fareham/9925718.OAP____should_face_ban_on_hate_letters___/
maxdancona

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 07:27 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
I think it's a step to say we no longer have freedom of speech just because we're not allowed to spread hate.

That is the very definition of freedom of speech.

Speech that isn't offensive doesn't need to be protected.

If you take away to the right to spread hate, then what does the right of freedom of speech protect?

The right to say pleasant things that everyone agrees with anyway doesn't need protection.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 07:30 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
I think it's a step to say we no longer have freedom of speech
just because we're not allowed to spread hate.
Something as low and abhorrent as a government shud have no say
in which emotions citizens feel, nor qua WHICH of their emotions thay can freely express.

izzythepush wrote:
I accept that you don't have those restrictions,
but as my above posting on the run up to the Iraq war shows, freedom of speech
is a bit of a misnomer when your media outlets are all pressed to tow the party line.
I coud start a newspaper tomorrow
and stuff it full of whatever editorial comments I opt to choose,
because of my freedom of the press, REGARDLESS of what any other newspaper has elected to do.
The government has not extorted agreement.

izzythepush wrote:
Whatever way you look at it, spreading hate and lies
is an abuse of freedom of speech, and not something to cherish.
People remain perfectly within their Constitutional Rights
and within their moral rights to express ANY of their emotions.
Thay can be held to account for slander or libel.

On December 8th, 1945, if people wrote editorials (or letters to the Editor)
expressing hatred for the Japs, that was reasonable.

David
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 07:47 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Don't be silly David.
Ceili

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 07:50 am
@izzythepush,
You might want to explain how Ian Paisley got away with it for close to 60 years..
Britain may be against hate speech, but I guess it just depends who you hate and where they are.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 07:54 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Don't be silly David.
????
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 07:56 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

But there were protests against the run up to the war in the US with no arrests and if the media had been critical of the President, that would have been allowed.

The media wasn't critical of the president though was it?

I haven't railed against freedom of speech. I've said that promoting hate and telling lies shouldn't be protected by freedom of speech legislation.

I'm not going to follow each of your links to tell you whether or not they would fall foul of our hate crime laws. Instead here's a link to an explanation of our legislation so you can work it out for yourself.

http://www.civitas.org.uk/crime/factsheet-hatecrime.pdf

At the end of the day I'm not bothered what Americans do, our embassies aren't being attacked, and our ambassadors aren't being killed. I just put the topic up for consideration.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 07:57 am
@Ceili,
The legislation is fairly recent. Ian Paisley's rants were long before that.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 07:59 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Speech that isn't offensive doesn't need to be protected.

If you take away to the right to spread hate, then what does the right of freedom of speech protect?

I'll give you an example. A BBC correspondent in China was barred from discussing China's inadequate public toilet provision with anyone he spoke to because it put the regime in a bad light.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 08:21 am
@izzythepush,
Quite ironic that a poster who questions the validity of your freedom of speech laws constantly gets voted down. I guess freedom of speech only matters to some of you if it's used to spread hatred against Moslems.
Irishk

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 08:26 am
@izzythepush,
All those reports about the UK putting cameras even in the loos and changing rooms of public schools are rubbish, right?

If not, y'all need to stop that LOL!
izzythepush

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 08:30 am
@Irishk,
That's the first I've heard of it. If it's true it should be stopped. Don't know what is has to do with freedom of speech though.

Btw, very few people can afford to go to Public schools. Most of us send our kids to state run schools.
Irishk

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 08:33 am
@izzythepush,
Freedom for Thee -- Except to Pee!
izzythepush

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 08:36 am
@Irishk,
Thanks for the link. It's not happening in Public schools though, but in State schools.

I don't agee with it, toilets and changing rooms should be private.
0 Replies