Can eating at night really be that bad?

Tue 11 Sep, 2012 09:24 pm
I keep hearing how bad it is to eat after a certain time. It'll be 11pm, and I'll be scarfing down a sandwich and ask if anyone else is hungry and it's always the same answer: "It's bad to eat at night."

I've asked why, and I've gotten a couple different answers. One is that you'll get fat. I'm 5 foot 6 inches, I weigh 104 pounds, and I ALWAYS eat when I'm hungry REGARDLESS of the time and I haven't gained ANY weight. In fact, I'm even trying very hard to GAIN weight.

I've seen girls starve themselves from 8pm to 7am while we stay up at night. I ask if they're hungry and they say they've trained their stomachs not to eat after a certain time.

Another reason given is that it's bad for the digestion, but what can be worse than starving yourself for 11 hours?

Can someone please enlighten me as to why it's healthier to starve yourself after a certain time of night than to eat when you're hungry?

roger

Tue 11 Sep, 2012 09:52 pm
@Anonymous1234567890,
I agree, kind of. It's best to keep it to a snack level though, rather than a full meal. Carbohydrates low on the glycemic are fine, so far as I'm concerned. If you're too hungry during the night, the liver will start pumping out glycogen, which converts to glucose pretty darn quick. Then, the pancreas throws of insulin to counteract it, and you can set up a real roller coaster effect.

Now, snack doesn't mean a big bait of chocolate cake with ice cream.
dalehileman

Wed 12 Sep, 2012 12:02 pm
@Anonymous1234567890,
Quote:
Can someone please enlighten me as to why it's healthier to starve yourself after a certain time of night than to eat when you're hungry?
The snack might tend to keep you awake
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Wed 12 Sep, 2012 12:11 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Now, snack doesn't mean a big bait of chocolate cake with ice cream.

Now that's an antiAmerican statement Roger! We just need to notify the Federal government now and have them revoke your US citizenship. A big slab of chocolate cake and an entire gallon of ice cream could in theory make a big dinner and/or light snack.*

(*for an NFL linebacker!)
0 Replies

chai2

Wed 12 Sep, 2012 12:28 pm
@Anonymous1234567890,
It might be because of your cocaine use.
Thomas

Thu 13 Sep, 2012 02:35 am
@chai2,
Chai, Anonymous's boyfriend is the one with the cocaine use. She is the one who has a problem with it and, at least by her own account, is anti-drugs herself. It couldn't have been hard for you to know that, because you posted extensively in the thread she started about her problem with him. So please pay closer attention to the facts before you make wrongful allegations like this.
0 Replies

Thomas

Thu 13 Sep, 2012 03:06 am
On the topic of the thread: Different people have different metabolisms. If your eating regimen is giving you the weight and the digestion you want, then that's what you should stick with.

But if there ever comes a point in your life when you do struggle with overweight, or indigestion, or sleeping problems, remember that this could be a possible culprit. When you sleep with full stomach, your body is spending energy digesting that it should be saving resting. And yes, if your body takes in energy from your food that it doesn't expend by moving, it could, in principle, contribute to weight gain at some point.

Coming back to the first point though, "in principle" doesn't necessarily mean "in practice", because different people have different metabolisms.
Anonymous1234567890

Sun 16 Sep, 2012 09:30 pm
@Thomas,
Ah! I see! Okay, I understand. I guess everyone is different and maybe these are some of the problems going on in the lives of others. I am still young, so that might also be a contributing factor to my fast metabolism. Overall, thank you for everything (^_^)
shamas72

Tue 9 Oct, 2012 04:12 am
@Anonymous1234567890,
yes i am agree it is a bad to eating the night because the heavy eat for night dangerous for health because every person to sleep the night and the heavy eat is not digestive thus it is a bad to heavy eat for night
ritu bhardwaj

Tue 6 Nov, 2012 12:06 am
@shamas72,
Yeah its bad for your degestive system, if you eat in late night its hard to digest. so always eat light food at night..
0 Replies

belmarrahealth

Fri 9 Nov, 2012 12:54 am
@Anonymous1234567890,
Hi
In my opinion it is not good of eating food or snacks anything after 11 'o' clock.It is reversely affect you health.
Thanks.
0 Replies

djesse551

Sun 10 Feb, 2013 07:58 pm
@Anonymous1234567890,
We may say that eating at night is bad for us, but we have our own opinion and thoughts. That is the reason why we need to sleep early so that we will not feel hungry during late night. If we have plan in staying awake until dawn, I think we can consider eating, but eat good foods and in moderation.
0 Replies

Dentist20

Mon 11 Feb, 2013 02:26 am
@Anonymous1234567890,
I don't think that eating is so bad after a certain time. But it's really serious if you don't brush you teeth.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Mon 11 Feb, 2013 04:16 pm
@Anonymous1234567890,
Quote:
but what can be worse than starving yourself for 11 hours?
Lying awake for 11 hours, stomach roiling
0 Replies