ehBeth

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2012 10:56 am
@InfraBlue,
There's a pretty significant generational split on may I/can I usage in Canada.

I don't think you'd find too many people under the age of 50 who are even aware of may I as an option.
roger

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2012 11:24 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Set's the most polite poster at A2K.

I'm sure every English-speaking poster agrees.

Obviously, I only thought I understood English.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2012 11:25 am
@roger,
you forgot the Mr. Green

Mr. Green
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2012 09:06 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
There's a pretty significant generational split on may I/can I usage in Canada.

As there is in all dialects of English, Beth.

Quote:
I don't think you'd find too many people under the age of 50 who are even aware of may I as an option.

That's not possible. Many of this group were exposed to the same nonsense.

But regardless, children by age five would be aware of every modal use.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2012 09:10 pm
@McTag,
Quote:
Well folks, you read it here first, my parents were ignorant.

As regards this particular prescription, if they passed it on to you then it's rather obvious, McTag.

Are you referring to 'ignorant' in its meaning of not being aware of something or have you taken this as the pejorative meaning of 'ignorant'?
JTT

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2012 09:12 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Set's the most polite poster at A2K.

You've got a great sense of humor sometimes, Beth. Smile
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2012 09:17 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
Are the Canadian colonials as rude and gruff as we underneath are when it comes to "may I/can I" in politeness usage?

Another remark illustrating ignorance on the English language.
roger

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2012 09:57 pm
@JTT,
Wouldn't that be "of the English language"
JTT

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2012 06:53 am
@roger,
Wouldn't that be you studiously avoiding the issues, as you always do, Roger, in a really lame attempt to snipe from your front row seat in the peanut gallery?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2012 01:22 am
@JTT,

As far as your remark on the other thread is concerned, referring to this, your attempt at patronising smarm is as ill-judged as it is unwelcome.
JTT

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2012 07:02 pm
@McTag,
Quote:
As far as your remark on the other thread is concerned, referring to this, your attempt at patronising smarm is as ill-judged as it is unwelcome.

I'm sorry you took it that way, McTag, because I have too much respect for you to do that. I'm frank in my dealings with you and I suspect you are the same with me.
McTag

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 01:38 am
@JTT,

It is not a question of "the way I took it".
I was writing in general terms about my personal history and interest in the language and you decided to insult my parents.
Your apology does not cover that.
JTT

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 01:53 am
@McTag,
Quote:
I was writing in general terms about my personal history and interest in the language and you decided to insult my parents.

I stated that as a conditional, McTag. And you leaped to the conclusion that I insulted them. If your parents advanced that particular prescription by telling you that 'can' only held the meaning of 'ability' then they were ignorant on that specific issue.

Many people, most people are ignorant when it comes to understanding how their language works. I'm ignorant of much of the workings of language . Daily, even hourly, I'm often puzzled by things I hear. When others hear context, I hear and see grammatical structure in that context and wonder about the choices. Language is exceedingly complex.

So was that really an insult? Obviously, I would have no way of knowing whether they did this or not. If they simply sought to encourage you to use what they perceived as a more polite usage, without including the falsehood, that would hardly be ignorant.

Quote:
Your apology does not cover that.

I don't feel I owe one for that to either you or your parents.

And for my remark in the other thread, it was a joke, nevertheless, I apologize for my remark.
0 Replies