Collarboneaccident... Anyone know ?

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2012 08:54 am
About 5 months ago I tried to successfully do a backflip on a big jump while skiing. It did not end well. as i only made about a 270 degre flip, the tip of my skis rooted in the ground and do to the speed it threw me forwards with my head first. In order to protect my head I turned my shoulder inwards so that my shoulder took most of the hit. the result was that my collarbone popped up where it is connected to the shoulder. after x-raying it. the doctor said that nothing was broken and that it was something called "Acromio clavicular joint dislocation" and told me that there is nothing to do and it would heel. Now my collarbone has not even slightly started to retrieve to its original location and is still "popping" up like a bump on my shoulder. however the pain has started to fade. yesterday i bench pressed and afterwards I felt pain again, only closer to my neck this time (where i haven't felt any pain before). also at the end of my collarbone is completely loose. I would say you could compare it to the kneecap, you know whilst standing up and sort of "wiggle" it around. Thats what it feels like. it doesn't hurt as much today but if I stretch out my arm and lift it upwards it hurts a lot. Is this serious? Very thankful for an answer, / Matthew
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 924 • Replies: 8

sozobe

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2012 08:56 am
@Matthiask9,
I'd definitely recommend a second opinion -- go to another doctor and see what he/ she has to say.

Did your first doctor give you instructions as to what you should/ shouldn't do while you were waiting for it to heal? I know that five months is a pretty good chunk of time but bench-pressing seems like a bad idea to me.
JPB

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2012 09:02 am
@Matthiask9,
My understanding is that a dislocation can eventually heal but that a shoulder separation will not. What you describe sounds more like a separation to me.

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/dislocated-separated-shoulder
Matthiask9

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2012 09:03 am
@sozobe,
Well. Actually the doctor told my to "use" my shoulder as much as possible. Im just tired of waiting for it to heel when it never seems to do so. when i move the whole arm in vertical circles you can hear it cracking inside the shoulder..
0 Replies

Matthiask9

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2012 09:06 am
@JPB,
Yes but how come the doctor was so sure of this being such an injury which doesn't need surgery and will recover. and is it maybe to late to do anything now?
JPB

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2012 09:16 am
@Matthiask9,
That's where a second opinion comes in. I don't know if there's a surgical option for your particular situation but I'd ask a different ortho for an opinion. Mr B has a 2nd degree shoulder separation that resulted from a bike accident. He has a "bump" similar to what you've described. There is no surgical option for his condition and it's never going to be as strong as it was before the accident. He has good use of his shoulder now, but it does periodically pop up as you describe and continues to give him problems on occasion. His most recent visit to the doc was a few months ago. He was hoping that there were some new technological advances that could help his situation. No such luck. I agree with getting a second opinion and see what your options are going forward.
Matthiask9

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2012 11:22 pm
@JPB,
I booked a meeting with another doctor tomorrow. lets see what he says. hoping for the best.. thanx for replying Smile
mickey513

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2012 07:57 am
@Matthiask9,
Hi Matt. The most recommended option here for me is to visit a doctor. They should be able to give you tests.

On the bright side, since you're out of the hospital and being cleared, I don't think it's something serious.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2012 08:02 am
@Matthiask9,
Good, glad you went ahead with that.

Let us know what happens.
0 Replies