So, Tell Me about the Democrats' Convention

Thomas

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2012 01:51 am
I'm traveling in Europe for the coming two weeks, unable to watch much American TV. Still, I'm curious to hear how the Democratic convention goes, and there doesn't appear to be a thread for it yet. So . . . how about that convention?

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2012 03:37 am
@Thomas,
Surprisingly, they seem to be saying that they are the ones who can cure the ills that ail us...and that the other guys will only make things worse.
Joe Nation

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2012 08:23 am
The speeches thus far have been better, certainly more truthful, my only quibble is that whoever is running the tele-prompter needs to get his hand slapped while the audience is cheering, applauding, chanting USA or whatever, all the speakers have been, in an actor's parlance, stepping on the crowd.

"WAIT UNTIL THEY STOP CHEERING, THEN SPEAK." I yelled at the TV last night until my girlfriend said "Cut it out, they can't hear you."

We went to bed before Michelle Obama spoke.
Reports in the New York press say she hit it out of the park.
Quote:
"I have seen firsthand that being president doesn’t change who you are – no, it reveals who you are," Michelle Obama said in her prime-time speech. "So in the end, for Barack, these issues aren’t political – they’re personal. Because Barack knows what it means when a family struggles ... Barack knows the American Dream because he's lived it."
And the first lady brought the crowd to their feet in closing: "I know from experience that if I truly want to leave a better world for my daughters, and all our sons and daughters ... then we must work like never before, and we must once again come together and stand together for the man we can trust to keep moving this great country forward…my husband, our president, President Barack Obama."

Four years ago, the financial markets were collapsing, banks were going broke and the ones which weren't broke weren't lending to anyone, including to Chrysler and General Motors and the rest of the American Auto industry. It was just about now, four years ago, that George W. Bush went on the air for nine minutes to explain why his administration was asking Congress to pass huge bailouts for the banks. The economy, under the Republican policies, had lost 2.6 MILLION jobs in 2008 alone and NOW that it was almost too late, Bush was finally pushed into action.

Four years ago, this nation was on the brink of a total depression, anyone who thinks we are not better off today because of the policies and actions taken by the current administration. (27 months in a row of job growth) isn't paying attention or isn't smart enough to understand the complexities of this modern world.

Joe(Vote every ******* Republican out) Nation

roger

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2012 08:34 am
@Frank Apisa,
Thanks for the unexpected report, Frank.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2012 08:36 am
@roger,
The really weird thing is, Roger, that at the Republican convention...they were saying the same thing in reverse.

Makes ya wonder!
roger

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2012 08:43 am
@Frank Apisa,
Great! No way the country can lose on a choice like this.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2012 09:46 am
"You're going to see speaker after speaker after speaker at this Democrat convention...portraying this country in ways you don't see it, you don't recognize it, and you don't want it to be."
—Rush Limbaugh

All those in favor of this view of the proceedings, please, raise your hands.

Joe(sitting very quietly on both hands)Nation
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2012 09:58 am
And then there was this comment, Thomas:

Jonathan Cohn~ The New Republic

Quote:
...On the first night of prime time coverage, with a precious opportunity to engage the small proportion of American voters who haven’t made up their minds about the election, the Democratic Party chose as its public face a Latino and an African-American.

That might not seem like an ideal way to win over the white working- and middle-class. But that’s where the message of the two speeches came in. The clear, unmistakable argument of each was that these groups, and the members of their party, believe in the work ethic every bit as much as the Republicans do—and that, unlike the Republicans, they understand hard work alone isn’t a guarantor of success.

Julian Castro honed in on this theme about halfway into his speech:

"Mitt Romney, quite simply, doesn’t get it. A few months ago he visited a university in Ohio and gave the students a little entrepreneurial advice. “Start a business,” he said. But how? “Borrow money if you have to from your parents,” he told them. Gee, why didn’t I think of that?"

It was the most pointed passage of the speech and, I thought, the most devastating. And while you expect that from a keynote speaker, Michelle Obama made essentially the same argument:

"And he believes that when you’ve worked hard, and done well, and walked through that doorway of opportunity…you do not slam it shut behind you…you reach back, and you give other folks the same chances that helped you succeed."

The First Lady didn’t mention Romney or Ryan by name—not there and not anywhere else in the speech. But the reference to their agenda, and to the Republican Party’s, was clear. (Michelle even defended the Affordable Care Act, in no uncertain terms.) And so was the broader message. We want to make sure you have the same opportunities we did. They don’t.

Did it work? Will it make a difference? As usual, I have no idea. But the stark political message seemed entirely appropriate, given the stark contrast between the two parties and the high stakes of the election.

Joe(eat up...it's food for thought)Nation
ehBeth

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2012 10:03 am
@Joe Nation,
Listened to a Dem pollster on a CBC radio program last night. She commented that there needed to be more explanation of what the plans for the future are. She suggested that the Dems are missing an opportunity by spending too much time on the past and on the opposition. She was a bit anxious.

I thought she was a bit off but as I read about the convention so far, I'm starting to understand. Hopefully there will be more about the future plans of the administration in the next couple of days.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2012 10:06 am
The DNC so far is much, much more polished and professional than the RNC. If for no other reason than the fact that the speakers are all staying on message, instead of engaging in rank self-promotion.

Cycloptichorn
DrewDad

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2012 10:25 am
@Cycloptichorn,
I think that's more a sign of how even his own party views Romney as toxic.

Romney's entire message is, "we're in bad shape, and we'd better change out who's in charge if we want to make progress."

Unfortunately for him, this message poisons the chances every single Republican incumbent. They're facing the choice of supporting Mitt's message, which puts them in a bad light, or distancing themselves.

They're all choosing "distance themselves" at this point.
RABEL222

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2012 02:53 pm
@DrewDad,
I hope your right.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2012 10:04 pm
On the off chance that some of our Republican brethren are following this thread - is there a fact checker out there that can verify this?

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/644099_10151048074726275_1918562585_n.jpg
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2012 10:11 pm
@Thomas,
There are a couple of Australian journos at the DNC twittering madly.

@annabelcrabb President Clinton is scratching this room behind the ears like a big old sooky lapdog.

@annabelcrabb Some handy Bill 'rithmetic. 66 million private sector jobs created in last 52 years - 42m by Dems, 24m by Republicans.

@JamesFallows: Clinton said more nice things about GW Bush than all RNC speakers combined

‏@annabelcrabb Bubba describes Obama as "cool on the outside, but who burns for America on the inside"... #dnc

@annabelcrabb "And by the way, I want a man who had the good sense to marry Michelle Obama." #oi #handsoffthefirstladybill #dnc
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2012 10:33 pm
Here's a transcript of Clinton's speech, It also has video of the speech if you wish to watch it or watch it again.

http://www.enstarz.com/articles/6257/20120905/bill-clinton-dnc-speech-video-transcript-democratic.htm#HslL1DsOMD83sbzZ.99

0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2012 02:37 am
Thanks for the comments so far.

The New York Times said that Elizabeth Warren was on yesterday. Did anyone watch her?
oralloy

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2012 04:57 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:
The speeches thus far have been better, certainly more truthful

Nah. About the same.

I mostly tuned out the Republicans, and I'm mostly tuning out the Democrats as well, but I heard plenty of DNC lies about Bain Capital.
Joe Nation

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2012 05:01 am
@oralloy,
Not even close, even the GOP spokesman said they weren't going to let fact-checkers guide them.

What do you think that means?

Joe(facts....still such stubborn things)Nation
oralloy

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2012 05:05 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:
Not even close

No, the Democrats lie just as much as the Republicans.

Joe Nation wrote:
even the GOP spokesman said they weren't going to let fact-checkers guide them.

What do you think that means?

It means they are going to lie just as much as the Democrats do.

Joe Nation wrote:
Joe(facts....still such stubborn things)Nation

Nothing that either party says about the other is factual.
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2012 05:14 am

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9wr7oLQN51rqe76qo1_500.jpg
0 Replies