So, Tell Me about the Democrats' Convention

raprap

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2012 05:47 am
@oralloy,
No body at the DNC made a claim to have run a sub three hour marathon. Something that anybody that has paticipated in any long distance run would know would be well documented.

Rap
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2012 06:14 am
I think Clinton encapsulated the GOP message quite succinctly and accurately.

"We handed him (Obama) a mess. He hasn't cleaned it up fast enough, so let's fire him and get us back in there."

The emotional connectivity and the enthusiasm (not to mention those stubborn facts) have all been on a much higher level than at the RNC convention.

I don't expect the Repubs to come anywhere close to giving credit where credit is due unless they receive a very public and indisputable defeat. I'm thinking the debates might deliver exactly that to them.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2012 08:55 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
Nothing that either party says about the other is factual.

Nothing???

Not even one thing?
oralloy

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2012 09:04 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
oralloy wrote:

Nothing???

Not even one thing?

Not these days. If there is even a bit of truth in what they say about the other party, it will be a half truth with a dishonest ulterior motive.
Joe Nation

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2012 09:08 am
@Frank Apisa,
Oralloy is correct, Frank. Neither party says anything factual, that's a fact.
I don't think they even use their real names.

<heh>

Did you know that Oralloy's real name is, in fact, Oral Loy. He (or she) was named for Oral Roberts (or Myrna Loy, my notes aren't very clear on this.)

Anyway, it's all lies all the time.

Joe(isn't life simple when you are simple?)Nation
oralloy

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2012 09:44 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:
Did you know that Oralloy's real name is, in fact, Oral Loy. He (or she) was named for Oral Roberts (or Myrna Loy, my notes aren't very clear on this.)

My real name is Oak Ridge Alloy.
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2012 10:53 am
@Thomas,
Yep, she was spectacular.

You can read and watch it here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/05/elizabeth-warren-speech-text_n_1850597.html?utm_hp_ref=elections-2012

0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2012 10:59 am
@oralloy,
<Heh heh> Sure it is.

Say hello to the folks in Tennessee.
Quote:
During the Manhattan Project enriched uranium was given the codename oralloy, a shortened version of Oak Ridge alloy, after the location of the plants where the uranium was enriched. The term oralloy is still occasionally used to refer to enriched uranium. There are about 2,000 tonnes (t, Mg) of highly enriched uranium in the world,[2] produced mostly for nuclear weapons, naval propulsion, and smaller quantities for research reactors.

Joe( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xJwmg7Lv-8 )Nation

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2012 01:34 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Not these days. If there is even a bit of truth in what they say about the other party, it will be a half truth with a dishonest ulterior motive.

It is apparent that you are determined never to acknowledge that you have overstated a proposition, Oralloy. Not sure why that is, but it is something you have to live with.

I heard a Republican at the RNC mention that Barack Obama is president of the United States.

Is there not a bit of truth in that?

Really...are you going to stick with that being completely false?
hingehead

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2012 02:41 pm
The daily show had a nice line with delegates where each was saying the party is about inclusiveness and tolerance, when pushed about who they mightn't include or tolerate most went for gun totin beer bellied rednecks, some had the most incredible long list of people they wouldn't tolerate, because these people 'lack tolerance'. It was pretty funny.

I don't know if it was judicious editing, but at the end we got to see the penny drop with one lady, unlike their equivalent effort at the RNC convention with 'this is where my uterus starts and my individual rights stop' where they didn't show anyone realizing the irony of their position.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2012 06:42 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
oralloy wrote:

It is apparent that you are determined never to acknowledge that you have overstated a proposition, Oralloy. Not sure why that is, but it is something you have to live with.

I do not agree that there has been any overstatement.

For what it's worth, my point is: The Democrats lie just as much and just as badly as the Republicans do. All this self-congratulation about "how truthful they are" is really very silly.

Frank Apisa wrote:
I heard a Republican at the RNC mention that Barack Obama is president of the United States.

The statement could well have been a half truth with a dishonest ulterior motive. The worst lies are the ones that maliciously incorporate a bit of truth in them.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2012 07:06 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Re: Frank Apisa (Post 5098839)
Frank Apisa wrote:
oralloy wrote:

I do not agree that there has been any overstatement.

For what it's worth, my point is: The Democrats lie just as much and just as badly as the Republicans do. All this self-congratulation about "how truthful they are" is really very silly.

Oralloy, originally you wrote:

Quote:

And despite the absurdity of that comment...you are insisting that there is no overstatement.

I repeat what I said earlier: It is apparent that you are determined never to acknowledge that you have overstated a proposition, Oralloy. Not sure why that is, but it is something you have to live with.

Quote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

The statement could well have been a half truth with a dishonest ulterior motive. The worst lies are the ones that maliciously incorporate a bit of truth in them.

Wow!
hingehead

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2012 07:40 pm
Fact checking Bill Clinton's speech last night

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2012/sep/05/Bill-Clinton-Democratic-convention/

oralloy

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2012 07:55 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
Oralloy, originally you wrote:

Quote:

And despite the absurdity of that comment...you are insisting that there is no overstatement.

I repeat what I said earlier: It is apparent that you are determined never to acknowledge that you have overstated a proposition, Oralloy. Not sure why that is, but it is something you have to live with.

No absurdity and no overstatement. The Democrats lie about Republicans just as often and just as egregiously as the the Republicans lie about Democrats.

This self congratulating that the Democrats are doing about their supposed honesty, is really very silly.
0 Replies

Keith424

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2012 08:07 pm
The vice president is speaking. A vice president that hasn't shot anyone in the face and made them apologize. I guess I shouldn't mention the previous administration. The 8 Bush years have been removed from the historical records. I don't even think his name was mentioned once at the RNC, pretty stunning.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2012 12:05 am
@hingehead,
"Fact Checking” has become as controversial as the claims being fact checked.

It's impossible to follow all the lines of all the different Fact Checkers and the Fact Checkers who check the facts of fellow Fact Checkers.

Worth consideration:

Clinton during his speech:

Quote:
“He [Obama] has offered a reasonable plan of $4 trillion in debt reduction over a decade. For every $2.5 trillion in spending cuts, he raises a dollar in new revenues, 2.5 to 1. And he has tight controls on future spending. That’s the kind of balanced approach proposed by the Simpson-Bowles commission, a bipartisan commission. … It passes the arithmetic test.”

For whatever reason, PolitiFact didn't check this "fact."

The Washington Post, however did and found:

Quote:
The repeated claim that Obama’s budget reduces the deficit by $4 trillion is simply not accurate.

By the administration’s math, you have nearly $3.8 trillion in spending cuts, compared to $1.5 trillion in tax increases (letting the Bush tax cuts expire for high-income Americans). Presto, $1 of tax increases for every $2.50 of spending cuts.

But virtually no serious budget analyst agreed with this accounting. The $4 trillion figure, for instance, includes counting some $1 trillion in cuts reached a year ago in budget negotiations with Congress. So no matter who is the president, the savings are already in the bank.

Moreover, the administration is also counting $848 billion in phantom savings from winding down the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, even though the administration had long made clear those wars would end.

In other words, by projecting war spending far in the future, the administration is able to claim credit for saving money it never intended to spend. (Imagine taking credit for saving money on buying a new car every year, even though you intended to keep your car for 10 years.)

Rather than good arithmetic, independent budget analysts called the maneuver “a major budget gimmick.”

The administration also counts $800 billion in savings in debt payments (from lower deficits) as a “spending cut,” which is a dubious claim. We didn’t realize that debt payments were now considered a government program.

There are a number of other games being played, so fake money is being used to pay for real spending projects. In effect, most of Obama’s claimed deficit reduction comes from his proposed tax increases.

Meanwhile, both Clinton and Van Hollen claim Obama’s budget has the “balanced approach” of the Simpson-Bowles deficit commission proposal. But the Simpson-Bowles plan is actually quite different, calling for tough spending cuts and substantial tax reforms — not the faux proposals contained in the president’s budget.

Clinton also said during his speech:

Quote:
“During this period, more than 500,000 manufacturing jobs have been created under President Obama. That’s the first time manufacturing jobs have increased since the 1990s.”

Again, PolitiFact passed on this one, but the Washington Post did not:

Quote:
Clinton is referring to the period since February 2010, the administration’s preferred date for counting employment figures. If you count from the beginning of Obama’s term, Bureau of Labor Statistics data show that manufacturing jobs have declined by more than 500,000. Manufacturing jobs have been on a long steep decline since the middle of Clinton’s term, with some 2 million jobs lost during the recession that started at the end of George W. Bush’s term.

There are others but you can see them for yourself at http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fact-checker/post/fact-checking-bill-clintons-speech-and-other-democrats-at-the-convention-in-charlotte/2012/09/06/55b9df68-f7e1-11e1-8b93-c4f4ab1c8d13_blog.html

I don't know whether or not PolitiFact has a particular political axe to grind or any sort of demonstrated bias, but it's clear that any of these Fact Checkers can create an inaccurate picture of the credibility of a speech by intentional or even unintentional selection of the "facts" they choose to check.

I don't usually bother with these Fact Checking articles because of their many flaws, but PolitiFact does something of a disservice to its readers when it checks fact that are irrelevant.

For example:

Quote:
Clinton also noted that Ryan attacked Obama for "the same amount of Medicare savings that (Ryan) had in his own budget." Clinton is correct that the Ryan budget plan included cost savings that were part of the health care law, and we rated the statement True.

Ryan is not at the top of the ticket and Romney has not adopted 100% of his budget. What may or may not have been in any of the several iterations of the "Ryan Budget" may provide someone like Clinton with a less obvious Straw man then those Obama sets up, but the issue is largely irrelevant unless PolitiFact is prepared to establish as True, claims that Romney will adopt Ryan's budget as originally written or that Ryan will actually be our President if the GOP ticket wins.

For virtually every speech (irrespective of the party affiliation of the person giving it) Fact Checkers find statements that are true, mostly true half true, false, mostly false and half false. Since I don't consult Fact Checker, I could easily have missed it, but I doubt there has been any speech by a partisan that all the Fact Checkers agree was True (or for that matter, False).

So some of Clinton's "facts" were true? Maybe more than half of them were. Does that excuse the use of false facts?

Typically we see people support their guy's speech with a Fact Checking report that seems to indicate most of the facts were true, blithely ignoring the fact that some were not. If we're willing to accept that some of the facts touted are false, why should we really care about the ration of true to false?

Finally, the Fact Checkers don't all come up with the same results? How can this be?

Either one or more of them are being downright dishonest, or the process of checking the facts is dependent upon a lot of variables.

Politicians are very skilled in making comments in such a way that they can be considered true, even though they are fundamentally false.

None of them are flat out blatant liars...except of course Debbie Wasserman Schultz.

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2012 12:36 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

The DNC so far is much, much more polished and professional than the RNC. If for no other reason than the fact that the speakers are all staying on message, instead of engaging in rank self-promotion.

Cycloptichorn

Really?

Going into the convention, there was the embarrassing fact that Obama surrogates on the Sunday news shows wouldn't or couldn't say that Americans are better off now than they were four years ago. Of course Martin O'Malley could 24 hours after he told Bob Schieffer that they weren't, but that was after a trip to the campaign woodshed.

Then on the first day of coverage there was the issue of removing "God" and Jerusalem as the capital of Israel from the Party Platform.

It was nothing we were assured by Democrat grandees, no one pays attention to boring platforms. This despite the fact that Dick Durbin had a meltdown when asked about it by Brett Bair of FOX, and the Dems felt it was important to highlight a plank in the GOP Platform concerning exceptions for the outlawing of abortion.

We were also assured that while there may not have been any mention of "God" in the platform, there was a big section on "faith." Hmmnnn, it's difficult to imagine how a big section on faith could avoid mention on God, unless what was being touted was faith itself and not faith in God. The entire convention clearly demonstrated that today's Democrats having a deep and abiding faith in Government which rivals any crackpot Christian's faith in some guy who dies on a cross over 2000 years ago.

Then there was that very polished and professional exhibition of how the Democrats change their Party Platform.

President Obama, having panicked over the snafu ordered the problem fixed, and so the machine went to work.

Quite a visual, the hapless Mayor of LA leading a voice vote to change the platform that required three votes (each of which had a louder expression of "NO!") and then finally telling the shocked assembly that in his opinion 2/3rds of the delegates had verbally voted Yes...just like he the teleprompter was telling him before the farce ever began. As a result Republicans got the gift of video footage of Democrat delegated booing God.

Masterful.

Quite professional they were in giving prime speaking slots to major contributors to the campaign.

And finally we had the president's acceptance speech moved from a 70,000 seat stadium to a 20,000 seat arena because of a threat of bad weather that Charlotte weather men and women were reporting didn't exist.

One can only imagine how polished and professional the Dems would have been if they had a hurricane with which to contend.
snood

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2012 05:37 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
That post reliably rises to your usual level of honesty.

You deny the simple manifest truth that the DNC convention was better planned, better produced and better received than the RNC one. And you, who bewails more loudly than anyone what you say is the Dem's tendency to whine, you try to blame the pitiful Republican performance on the weather.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2012 10:49 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
And finally we had the president's acceptance speech moved from a 70,000 seat stadium to a 20,000 seat arena because of a threat of bad weather that Charlotte weather men and women were reporting didn't exist.

Really? That seems a made up claim considering the actual weather report called for a 30% chance of Thunderstorms.
DrewDad

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2012 11:10 am
@parados,
Didn't they have storms the afternoon before Obama spoke?
0 Replies