The Democratic Convention

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2012 04:25 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
There was a shortage of white faces in the DNC crowd? Not to my highly-trained eye....

You're right that Strickland wasn't very good, but he did have a great line with the Romney-Santa Claus bit.

Did you watch Deval Patrick? You didn't mention him.

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2012 04:27 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Is he wrong, though? Didn't hear you say he was wrong.

Cycloptichorn

I'm surprised to see you indulging in such racist and derogatory stereotyping. I had thought that was considered bad behavior among you folks. I certainly consider it to be bad and offensive behavior.

Still didn't hear you say he was wrong. There's no need to get all huffy unless you think he was wrong.

White tribalism is a large factor of the Republican party - just as Black tribalism is a large factor of Democratic support. It's not racist to point that out.

Cycloptichorn
Advocate

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2012 04:28 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Debbie Wasserman Schultz is hardly mendacious. She is honest and great at calling out the serial lying and misrepresentations by the Reps. She also cares about the middle and lower classes, the enemies of the right. It is especially amazing to see your charge after the Ryan speech, which really had such big and brazen lies.

Robert Reich recently called out R and R for their lies, as well as their repetition of them.

URL: http://able2know.org/topic/197179-3#post-5098043

URL: http://able2know.org/topic/197179-3#post-5098043
georgeob1

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2012 04:29 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

White tribalism is a large factor of the Republican party - just as Black tribalism is a large factor of Democratic support. It's not racist to point that out.

Cycloptichorn

Oh, I see. When it's directed at those you oppose, it's allright. (You're as good at slimy rationalizations as you are at mere bombast.)

Are you suggesting that Republicans are largely white tribalists? Are you trying make a distinction by saying that Black tribalism is" an element of Democratic support" while it is "a large factor" in the Republican party?

Do you think that racial or ethnic tribalism is an admirable thing?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2012 04:37 pm
@georgeob1,
It's a reality of life. It's not an admirable thing - blacks shouldn't support Obama simply because he shares the same skin color as they. Nevertheless, this is clearly the case - just as it's clearly the case that white voters tend to support white candidates. Same thing for wealthy voters and wealthy candidates.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2012 04:39 pm
@georgeob1,
This place has not changed one bit since the last time I was here and can still be summed up in one quote:
"I have been thinking that I would make a proposition to my Republican friends... that if they will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop telling the truth about them. "
spendius

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2012 05:13 pm
I can't help being struck by the delicacy which my last post has been so interestingly stepped around by both sides.

It's as if neither dare look too closely at the implications of Mr Obama's appeal to the pretty ones. Perhaps the petty sniping on extraneous issues is a vain attempt to maintain how bristly the hair on their balls is as long as no inspections, such as Popes are said to be required to submit to, are mandated.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2012 05:15 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

I can't help being struck by the delicacy which my last post has been so interestingly stepped around by both sides.

Or maybe everyone just has you on ignore.
spendius

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2012 05:18 pm
@DrewDad,
That's what I meant. Isn't it coy?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2012 05:32 pm
@Advocate,
Oh My God!

Are you kidding me?

If you're honest (which based on this post I can't believe you are) you will admit that the so-called Ryan lies are subject to debate.

Ryan may be a liar (although I say he is not) but he's not a bald faced one like DWS.

DWS to John Roberts on Fox: I have no idea what the party affiliation of the Super-Pac run by Bill Burton, former aid to Obama, might be.

Bald faced lie

DWS to Shepherd Smith on FOX: The conservative writer, not surprisingly, deliberately misquoted me.

The conservative writer taped her and unequivocally proved he didn't misquote her

Bald faced lie.

She is a pargon of lying and you should be embarrassed by your defense of her honesty.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2012 05:38 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Since you only have one, I imagine it really is highly trained.

The Santa Clause line wasn't great, it was insipid, as all the attack lines from also-rans in either party will always be. That's why they are also-rans. Anyone capable of evicerating the other guy is a star and not relegated to the poop partol of the conventions.

I didn't see Patrick, but I heard he yelled very loudly.

I did see Corey Booker and was amazed at how transformative a session in the Obama woodshed could be. (He seemed to want to burst his vocal chords to prove his allegiance as well)
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2012 05:40 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:

The Santa Clause line wasn't great, it was insipid

Nah, it was great, I laughed - and so did my Republican pop who was watching.

Quote:

I didn't see Patrick, but I heard he yelled very loudly.

Nah, that was Strickland...

Quote:
I did see Corey Booker and was amazed at how transformative a session in the Obama woodshed could be. (He seemed to want to burst his vocal chords to prove his allegiance as well)

Well, the Dem party loves Obama a lot more than they love the rich fucks who fund his campaigns in NJ, and if he wants to pursue a future in national politics, he'd be well served to figure out which side his bread is buttered on, quickly.

Cycloptichorn
McGentrix

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2012 05:44 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Better than the message the GOP has to offer - "Go back to the way we ran things from 2000-2006, everything will magically become great."

Seriously, Romney had no over-arcing message other than that - and no policy details whatsoever. Neither he nor Ryan has offered any coherent plan for how they are going to solve any of our current problems.

Cycloptichorn

We are talking about the DNC now. Surely you can find kind of way trying to just talk about that can't you? Not everything has to go back to the GOP and Romney. Praise or criticize what is happening without saying "Yeah! But they were worse!"
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2012 05:48 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
No offense to your Republican Pop but if he thought that line was funny, he has about the same level of humor as you. Just goes to show you neither party owns funny.

Pardon me Cyclo for not accepting your reportage on the DNC, despite your use of the homey "Nah."

True Dat, as they say, re Booker. The Dems love Obama a lot more than they love anyone, let alone rich fucks from NJ.

The poor fool, he had a future converting to Republican and now he has doubled down on Obama. I hope he likes being mayor of Newark because that's his ceiling.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2012 06:01 pm
Oh Good Lord I forgot in my post of my initial impressions of the DNC the homage to Teddy.

The Liberal Lion of The Senate!

The Liberal murderer ( or let's be charitable - manslaughterer) of a staffer he was banging.

The left rants and raves about Ryan lies and manufactures scurrilous lies about Romney killing women with cancer, and yet they lionize someone who at his best was an utter coward who in a moment of life and death crisis thought first of his own skin AND his political career rather than the life of a young woman who he had been taking advantage of.

By all measures of honor, Teddy was a rancid slug.

(And we haven't even touched on his defense of his nephew's raping or his legendary DC grope-fests with Chris Dodd)

But, he got a video testimonial at the 2012 DNC: Liberal Lion of The Senate.

Anyone and everyone who nodded their heads during this sick piece of propoganda let alone cheered or, God Forbid, cried, would be ashamed of themselves if they had anything approaching a true moral compass.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2012 06:11 pm
@BillW,
BillW wrote:

This place has not changed one bit since the last time I was here and can still be summed up in one quote:
"I have been thinking that I would make a proposition to my Republican friends... that if they will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop telling the truth about them. "

Did you tink that was either original or clever???
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2012 06:25 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Just goes to show you neither party owns funny.

Actually, the Dems do own funny. There are very few funny Republicans, and their best jokes come from them making fun of themselves - the 'Romney elevator music' line was about it from their convention.

Re: Booker, he had no future converting to the Republican party at all; see, in case you guys hadn't noticed, you don't let black folks rise to the top level of your party. Certainly not electorally.

And, I know that statement will probably piss you off; but, if you don't agree, prove it and elect a black senator or nominate one of them for prez or VP. Till then, you don't have much of a counterargument.

Cycloptichorn
georgeob1

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2012 06:31 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

And, I know that statement will probably piss you off; but, if you don't agree, prove it and elect a black senator or nominate one of them for prez or VP. Till then, you don't have much of a counterargument.

Cycloptichorn

The firsty Black Senator to serve in the U.S. Senate, was elected in 1966. He was Edward Brooke of Massachusetts - a Republican.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2012 06:36 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

The firsty Black Senator to serve in the U.S. Senate, was elected in 1966. He was Edward Brooke of Massachusetts - a Republican.

Actually, the first black senator was Hiram Revels, of Mississippi, in 1866.

http://www.senate.gov/artandhistory/history/minute/First_African_American_Senator.htm

But you're right about Brooke - I didn't know that he was a Republican. Thought he was a Dem this whole time. Thanks for educating me on that point.

Cycloptichorn
georgeob1

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2012 06:52 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
You are correct about Revels, I should have checked that too. Both were Republicans.