The Democratic Convention

gungasnake

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 06:03 am
@Krumple,
Quote:
I think it is absurd that they gave speeches talking about how many jobs obama saved with the stimulus and everyone gives them a stamp of approval on it when we lost 386,000 jobs in August!...

Rasmussen notes it's employment index has fallen to a ten-month low:

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/business/indexes/rasmussen_employment_index/rasmussen_employment_index

and the reasons for that are not difficult to discern. Bork Obunga has basically declared war on America's small business community (which produces most new jobs under normal circumstances), and businesses of all sizes are holding back on hiring and investment in the US because they no longer can predict any sort of a future here or have any idea what they're dealing with wrt taxes and regulations coming from rogue agencies and agencies which have gone rogue or been induced to go rogue under Obunga.

Add the Obunga anti-energy policies into the picture and what you see is the beginning of systemic collapse. Somewhere around $3.50/gal, gas prices start to shut the American economy down and they've now been at or over that mark for the past three years. People start driving to work, to church, and to the grocery store, and that's every bit of it. Even Northern Virginia which is usually immune is seeing shopping malls closing down and store fronts boarded up like in the old part of Baltimore.

Another four years of this **** and we'll be rubbing sticks together to make fire.
spendius

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 07:19 am
@gungasnake,
Quote:
Another four years of this **** and we'll be rubbing sticks together to make fire.

People might start driving to work, to church, and to the grocery store, and that's every bit of it. That might be the idea. To calm us down a bit. It's a long way from rubbing two sticks together to make a fire. It's more taking it a bit easier. Like I do.

It doesn't bear thinking about where the DOW would be if everybody behaved like I do. Shop till you drop is my motto as long as I'm not doing any dropping. Whenever I go to the shop it's a boring trudge to the beer shelves and back. I would probably keep chickens if there wasn't always eggs in the fridge.

And it wouldn't be "that's it" either. There are a lot of other things to do besides racing up and down feverishly trying to get one up on the neighbours and assorted other brain points in the general field of extension. I'm watching a butterfly flit from flower to flower right now. That's more interesting than a flying visit to Tibet. Tibet being the "in" place because nobody has been there. Which, from what I've seen on TV, is not surprising. And if it's the "in" place for any length of time everybody has been there and it's "out", common, "been there, done that, got the T-shirt and the video, the snaps and the slides and the lumps on my head from people trying to shut me up rabbiting about the dump". It's like hem lines. Which is another story but the "in" and "out" hemlines, a metaphor of course, explain the yards and yards of ladies garments which special cupboards have to be fitted to accomodate.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 07:23 am
@gungasnake,
Quote:
Rasmussen Smile
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 07:24 am
@gungasnake,
http://zfacts.com/sites/all/files/image/econ/job-loss-gain.png

No wonder Bush was mentioned more during the DNC than the RNC,! right Ganja?

Rap
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 07:34 am
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

While you guys are patting Obama on the back and trying to guarantee a win for him, you might want to look at this...

http://dailycaller.com/2012/08/23/university-of-colorado-prediction-model-points-to-big-romney-win

Quote:
The authors also provided caveats. Factors they said may affect their prediction include the timeframe of the economic data used in the study and close tallies in certain states. The current data was taken five months in advance of the Nov. 6 election and they plan to update it with more current economic data in September. A second factor is that states very close to a 50-50 split may fall an unexpected direction.

While the model might be good in normal times this isn't really normal times. We have a major economic blowup and a GOP congress that has blocked as much as they could of any government response to help the economy. The model may not see clearly how voters will view the obstruction of the party not holding the WH.
parados

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 07:45 am
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:

I think it is absurd that they gave speeches talking about how many jobs obama saved with the stimulus and everyone gives them a stamp of approval on it when we lost 386,000 jobs in August!

So where the heck did you pull that number from?
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 10:05 am
@parados,
NYT analyst Nate Silver posted several comments via Twitter on the CU model around the end of August (he had problems with it). I think he may have even written an article on same.

On 8/22, he tweeted:

"If you want a "fundamentals" model that shows Romney winning, the Hibbs model is a lot more sensible."

Link to the Hibbs model
parados

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 10:16 am
@Irishk,
Thanks for the link.

Interesting.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 11:17 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I wouldn't have expected anything more from you Cyclo
Cycloptichorn

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2012 08:52 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
There's a duty to let guys like you know from time to time; we occasionally draw straws to see whose turn it is.

Cycloptichorn
spendius

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2012 04:57 pm
A rather nasty jibe has just been made by an important employee of Sky News about Mr Romney. The same one that Mr Obama had made more politely.

But Sky News is owned by Rupert Murdoch. In the item there was no need to add the snappy one-liner.

To maintain that it is not a straw in the wind requires that the newsreader who made it was off on one of his own. Which I think a bit unlikely.
snood

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2012 05:37 pm
@spendius,
Without a link or any further context, your last post was little more than inane blather.
spendius

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2012 05:15 am
@snood,
The important context was there and was the entire point. Jibes are ten-a-penny. It is who makes them that is important.

I'm sorry you didn't understand snood but you not doing is no reason to come to such a silly conclusion.

Being understood by everybody is not my objective.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2012 11:25 pm
Oopsie!

American...Russian...those big old ships all look the same, right??? Cool
DrewDad

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2012 07:09 am
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:
American...Russian...those big old ships all look the same, right??? Cool

Yeah, to laymen they do.

If a graphics guy goes and finds a stock photo of a naval vessel, it's likely that the description doesn't even include accurate info of what the ships are.
engineer

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2012 07:34 am
@DrewDad,
But Navy guys can spot the differences immediately (old Soviet and US ships look very different) and it was a shout-out to vets. Definitely something that someone should own up to but maybe they won't hoping to keep the faux pas quiet.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2012 07:47 am
@engineer,
Definitely a faux pas, but hardly a "slap in the face" as some on that site were suggesting.

roger

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2012 07:51 am
@DrewDad,
No slap in the face, and no big deal unless someone tries to deny or coverup a simple mistake. It's a picture, not a policy statement.

It was kinda cute, though.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2012 03:30 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Yeah I know, your left-wing circle jerk.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2012 03:51 pm
@Irishk,
They don't even look close to the same.
The only similiarities is that they are the same color as US Navy warships.