Humanistic Behaviorism

sibilia

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 02:02 pm
HUMANISTIC BEHAVIORISM

Psychology is the science that studies human conduct and the higher animals'. The behavior is the particular way in which people conduct. In general the fundamental forms of behavior are: verbal, emotional and gestural. Derived forms of behavior are: intellectual, artistic, moral, religious and ideological. The instincts and reflexes are inherited forms of behavior. The ideas and thoughts correspond to private or subjective behavior.

Humanistic Behaviorism is based on three principles:

1 - The human being, psychically, is an indivisible unit.

2 - The study and the adjustement of personality is integral.

3 - All psychological schools have right points on behavior.

Laws of balanced behavior are:

I. - We can have beliefs and ideologies,
Without going into fanaticism.

II. - We can have nostalgia,
Without going into depression.

III. - We can be thoughtful, intuitive or creative
Without going to extravagance.

IV. - We can read much,
Without going to think that we know everything.

V. - We can believe in god,
Without reaching religious discrimination.

VI. - We can dream awake,
Without gettings illusions.

VII. - We can be social,
Without getting egocentrism.

VIII. - We can have authority,
Without going to selfishness.

IX. - We can want money,
Without reaching ambition.

X. - We can eat,
Without going to gluttony.

XI. - We can love a person,
Without going to idolize.

XII. - We can have sex,
Without going to bestiality.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,842 • Replies: 11
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 02:06 pm
@sibilia,
Thank you Sib, very interesting, but wondering what sorts of responses you might wish to elicit
sibilia

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 02:15 pm
@dalehileman,
Oh, whatever you want, your opinion, ideas, etc.
0 Replies

sibilia

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 08:05 am
HISTORY OF BEHAVIORISM: IVAN PAVLOV, JOHN WATSON AND B. F. SKINNER

VIDEO URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUwCgFSb6Nk&feature=player_embedded
0 Replies

sibilia

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2012 08:31 am
HUMANISTIC PSYCHOLOGY: ABRAHAM MASLOW AND CARL ROGERS

http://8020vision.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Maslov1.png
0 Replies

sibilia

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2012 02:51 pm
 http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/546693_360945133980212_1069024832_n.jpg

Personality is the set of traits that characterizes an individual. The mind is the entity that controls behavior and it's formed for ideas, feelings and motives. The Ego is the awareness of one's own identity
0 Replies

sibilia

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2012 11:53 am
SATISFACTION AND SELF-ACTUALIZATION

The satisfaction is the fulfillment of a need, desire or passion in particular.
Self-actualization is the total fulfillment of one's talents and abilities, the realization of a person's potential. Through self-actualization, one makes "actual" what was once only possible (for example, a talented singer becomes the best soloist that person could possibly be). Some psychologists explain human motivation with the concept of self-actualization. Twentieth-century psychologist Carl Rogers argued that all people seek self-actualization and that this drive accounts for why they do some of what they do (as well as for personality development). In 1943 Abraham Maslow suggested that humans act to meet a hierarchy of needs, the last of which is self-actualization. Self-actualization is typically taken to be a lengthy, difficult process.
But more than the fulfillment of our desires, it's the overcoming of the obstacles that come up that produce us the true fulfillment: the Self-actualization.

http://blog.pucp.edu.pe/media/3087/20120123-autorealizacion.jpg
0 Replies

sibilia

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2012 10:09 am
CLASSIFICATION OF THE BEHAVIOR PRINCIPLES

AFFECTIVE:

II. - We can have nostalgia,
Without going into depression.

VI. - We can dream awake,
Without gettings illusions.

XI. - We can love a person,
Without going to idolize.

SOCIAL:

VII. - We can be social,
Without getting egocentrism.

VIII. - We can have authority,
Without going to selfishness.

IX. - We can want money,
Without reaching ambition.

INTELLECTUAL:

III. - We can be thoughtful, intuitive or creative
Without going to extravagance.

IV. - We can read much,
Without going to think that we know everything.

IDEOLOGICAL:

I. - We can have beliefs and ideologies,
Without going into fanaticism.

V. - We can believe in god,
Without reaching religious discrimination.

INSTINCTIVE:

X. - We can eat,
Without going to gluttony.

XII. - We can have sex,
Without becoming exhausted.
0 Replies

sibilia

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2012 10:11 am
TYPES OF TRAITS ACCORDING SIBILIA

"Trait is a scientific concept that summarizes the behaviors that people perform in different situations and occasions. Traits are constructs that help describe individual differences. According to Eysenck are provisions allowing describe people and predict their behavior.
They aren't observable, but they are inferred to observe certain facts (behaviors). Thus, an arrangement characteristic behavior is expressed in consistent patterns of operation over a wide range of situations. It constitutes a continuous dimension along which people are placed".

Neutral (N)

a) Extravert: Sociable and friendly.

b) Introvert: shy and quiet.

Positive (+)

c) Studious or diligent: outstanding in the group class, gets good grades, because he likes studying, reads a lot.

d) Decent or polite: Meets the standards and norms of harmonious human relations, not rude.

e) Peaceful and quiet: It relates to the lymphatic temperament, emotional stability, he projects an inner peace .

f) Serious or formal: he/she is responsible and his/her word is law unto him/herself. He/She Knows the difference between moments of solemnity and of jovialities.

Negative (-)

g) Delinquent: It's violator of the laws established by society.

h) Aggressive: It's mad, sometimes become uncontrollable.

i) Astute: It's deceiver, enjoy cheating, either to hide a wrong action or to carry out a criminal act.

j) Sexmania: the exaggerated obsession with sex.

Other traits, but less common, are:

a) Creative: It provides new ideas, that they can be artistic, intellectual, religious, etc.

b) Thinker: It speculates on various topics. It always finds an answer to his/her questions.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2012 06:45 pm
@sibilia,
Well, while I believe that Behaviourism is a field of psychology, I've rarely found that I agree with the categories they try and pen people into.

See, even in the 'fundamental forms' I disagree with 3 - there is only verbal and guestural. Emotions are expressed through these two avenues. I also don't agree that intellectual is any more derived than emotional behaviour - we have areas in our brain responsible for emotion, and areas responsible for logic, areas responsible for instinct, areas for reward and areas for aversion etc. These areas of our brain compete for what it is we eventually do. It is why we can be 'conflicted' about what we want, and conflicted in what we do.

As for the laws of balanced behaviour, there too I have issues - and to call them 'laws' is erroneous - in science a law is an absolute, and irrefutable.

"we can want money, without reaching ambition" - ambition isn't an extreme, nor does it ever have to be out of balance with the rest of your life.

"We can have authority, without going to selfishness" - Everyone is selfish. Anything you do for yourself is selfish...selfishness itself isn't bad - as long as its balanced with care for others.
0 Replies

sibilia

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2012 06:29 am
Quote:
Posted by Vikorr:
As for the laws of balanced behaviour, there too I have issues - and to call them 'laws' is erroneous - in science a law is an absolute, and irrefutable.

Thanks Vikorr for your collaboration. I don't mean a law of nature, but social.
0 Replies

sibilia

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2012 06:46 am
HOW DOES THE HUMANISTIC BEHAVIORISM WORK?

The H. B. works reinforcing behaviors of: self-realization, development of intellect, politeness, gentleness and seriousness. The H. B. disapproved behaviors of: delinquency, aggression, cunning trickster, the sexmania, excessive ambition, selfishness, arrogance, bigotry and social prejudice.

The H. B. also stimulates the practice of creativity and reflection in those cases that are manifest these traits.

Reinforcement is a concept of Behaviorism, but this current studies only observable aspects of behavior ignoring mental aspects of the individual.

In our therapeutic practice we emphasize skills and virtues that mostly presents the subject. The reinforcement of these it will make the weaknesses and defects have no effect on behavior.
0 Replies