Mel Gibsons (The Passion)

au1929

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 01:46 pm
micah
Quote:
look, obviously the man should not have put up those words.

Are you indicating that those beliefs are acceptable as long as you don't post them? Is it acceptable to preach that hatred and religious intolerance from the pulpit which no doubt he has.
0 Replies

micah

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 01:46 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
The importance of Jesus was his message -- not the fact that he was executed.

Fixating on the ugliness of his rather than his message is exactly the wrong way to go.

Jesus, may very well have died because of his message.

He was not tortured because of it -- he was tortured because people back then were even more primitive and barbaric than we are today -- and they enjoyed torturing people and watching others tortured.

It takes a sick mind to enjoy watching someone get tortured -- and a sicker one to make a movie with its basic theme being the torture of a human.

you're already on the waiting list for the dvd aren't you??
0 Replies

micah

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 01:49 pm
au1929 wrote:
micah
Quote:

Are you indicating that those beliefs are acceptable as long as you don't post them? Is it acceptable to preach that hatred and religious intolerance from the pulpit which no doubt he has.

'technically' the jews and the romans killed Jesus....both are responsible, if blame must be placed upon men.....

so, i would say no, thats not acceptable because his statement implies the romans weren't involved....
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 01:56 pm
It would appear that your beliefs and Gordon's are in concert. Your sign on display in your parlor?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 01:59 pm
au1929 wrote:
micah
Quote:

You're just looking for a fight.

When taken in the simple context "Jews killed Jesus" it does indeed appear to be a slur on Jews. But you will not find a single preacher saying just that. A sign on a church does not constitute a sermon either. I would bet that every time the quote "Jews killed Jesus" is soon followed by "and he forgave them". Christians believe that Jesus died for their sins.

Also, how would you know that this pastor preaches hatred and religious intolerance from the pulpit? You seem awful sure of something you know nothing about.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 02:07 pm
McGentrix wrote:
au1929 wrote:
micah
Quote:

You're just looking for a fight.

No, we are enjoying watching a hypocrite attempt to pull himself out of a corner.

Quote:
When taken in the simple context "Jews killed Jesus" it does indeed appear to be a slur on Jews. But you will not find a single preacher saying just that.

"Preachers" have been saying this since the second century CE. Most anti semitic actions prior to the Hitlerian genocide were instigated by Christian clergy.

Quote:
A sign on a church does not constitute a sermon either. I would bet that every time the quote "Jews killed Jesus" is soon followed by "and he forgave them". Christians believe that Jesus died for their sins.

Really? I see the sign as an indication that this individual runs a church friendly to those who fear and distrust what they frequently refer to as the "Zionist Occupation Government," and are waiting eagrly for the day when they can see the Jews, Muslims, and other non Christians slaughtered.

Quote:
Also, how would you know that this pastor preaches hatred and religious intolerance from the pulpit? You seem awful sure of something you know nothing about.

Unfortunately such individuals are all too common in the US, and especially here in Denver. Your pretended naivete is rididculous.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 02:10 pm
"Love the sinner, hate the sin." Self-righteous, hateful pap. Makes me want to puke, quite frankly. I'll reserve judgement on the film until I've seen it, and I will judge it as a film, not as friggin' gospel.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 02:17 pm
hobitbob
This is exactly the type of people that one fears who will carry the message of Anti-Semitism away from the film or at least expand it.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 02:19 pm
Actually, I wonder if this isn't the sort of people the fim was intended for?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 02:32 pm
micah wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
The importance of Jesus was his message -- not the fact that he was executed.

Fixating on the ugliness of his rather than his message is exactly the wrong way to go.

Jesus, may very well have died because of his message.

He was not tortured because of it -- he was tortured because people back then were even more primitive and barbaric than we are today -- and they enjoyed torturing people and watching others tortured.

It takes a sick mind to enjoy watching someone get tortured -- and a sicker one to make a movie with its basic theme being the torture of a human.

you're already on the waiting list for the dvd aren't you??

Nope!
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 02:33 pm
Hobitbob
You could be correct. Although he denies it. His beliefs are no different from that of his father. An avowed Anti-Semite and holocaust denier. That apple has not fallen far from the tree.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 02:34 pm
I feel that the sign, for whatever reason it was put up, should have said something a little more to the point of what the Pastor wanted people to do...if that's reading the bible, maybe he could have said "Read the Bible" or something...granted it's not nearly as inciting as the other sign..but it gets his 'real' msg across.

Frank, I know already how you feel about the bible being fairytales and about people believe in it or whatever...but for people that are christians, the importance is Jesus' death/ressurection as well as the gospel he preached.

As I interpret the Bible, which is all it is to anyone - interpretation....Jesus was not 'killed' but gave up his life for the rendering of his word and was the very reason he was here - to die for those who believe in him as Messiah accept him as their Lord and Savior.

I think the Pastor's putting up that sign was definitely not a good thing - because it will/does/did incite bad feelings among the people, and will certainly now give his church a bad name.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 02:39 pm
truth
"...a two-hour snuff film."

David Denby
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 02:43 pm
i thought snuff was rough-sex-leading-to-death ?? (seriously..that's what I thought)....I was wrong? What IS a snuff film, then?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 03:03 pm
truth
I guess it's just a film for the seriously ill to see another human being murdered.
0 Replies

micah

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 03:07 pm
Re: truth
JLNobody wrote:
I guess it's just a film for the seriously ill to see another human being murdered.

then i guess a huge percentage of the population is seriously ill????

in one day he's up to 20 million in ticket sales...
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 03:34 pm
Re: truth
micah wrote:
JLNobody wrote:

then i guess a huge percentage of the population is seriously ill????

Had you any doubt? Wink
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 04:06 pm
onyxelle wrote:
Frank, I know already how you feel about the bible being fairytales and about people believe in it or whatever...but for people that are christians, the importance is Jesus' death/ressurection as well as the gospel he preached.

Onyxelle

If you re-read my comment, you will not see me mocking that belief.

Jesus died...and if you want to "believe" he was resurrected, so be it.

He may very well have died for what he preached -- although with the Romans as occupiers, the jury is still out on that.

But dwelling on the suffering, beatings, and torture is second-rate stuff - and, in my opinion, does dishonor to the man's memory.

In any case, we don't really know how much he was beaten.

Gibson is making most of this up.

But the Romans were a rather cruel lot (hell, instead of going to a movie, many went to watch people die horrible deaths in arenas) and a particularly sadistic crew may have taken Jesus to his crucifixion. It is also possible the soldiers were simply carrying out an execution; had no taste for cruelty; and didn't do one-tenth what is depicted.

WE DO NOT KNOW.

To dwell on the passion -- to deal with it in this crass commercial way -- sucks.

Jesus had a message -- a part of which can appeal even to agnostics and atheists as is does to you folks who think he was god.

That is the significant element of his life.

This other stuff is bullshit.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 04:25 pm
We agree, Frank. I will not be seeing the movie, either. I have a very weak stomach for violence.

Yes, I think Jesus did die because of his message. If Jesus appeared in the U.S. today, I have no doubt we would kill him, too.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 04:29 pm
Violence is never far away....
Quote:
Rebirth of hate feared after 'Passion' film

Jews brace for new wave of anti-Semitic sentiment

By Gwen Florio
Denver Post Staff Writer

Post / Kathryn Scott Osler
An anti-Semitic billboard along Colorado Bouldevard concerns two men who gathered for an evening prayer at a Denver synagogue.

It's been two decades since white supremacists murdered a Jewish talk-show host in his Denver driveway; a quarter-century since the Klan marched on an Orthodox synagogue here.

Nonetheless, the Ash Wednesday release of Mel Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ" makes some in the area's Jewish community wary.

Those fears were heightened Wednesday when the Lovingway United Pentacostal Church posted a billboard along South Colorado Boulevard proclaiming, "Jews killed the Lord Jesus ... Settled."

Denver normally is a remarkably tolerant city, says Evan Zuckerman, associate director for the regional Anti-Defamation League. "We've been fortunate in Colorado that we haven't seen anything horrific" in the years since Alan Berg's murder.

But that doesn't erase history.

"What's been hurtful for centuries is the use of this (Passion) story, this powerful and important story, in a way that causes people not only to dislike but to do violence against the Jews," says Denver ADL executive director Bruce DeBoskey.

The movie's release at the beginning of the Lenten season leading to Easter is a flashpoint.

Europe and Russia were infamous for their Easter Sunday pogroms, when Christian mobs rampaged through Jewish communities.

Rabbi Israel Rosenfeld, who survived Hitler's Auschwitz death camp, said during his childhood in Czechoslovakia's Carpathian region, "when Easter came around, everyone went around beating up Jewish kids. We were all hiding."

And retired Denver attorney Jack Greenwald told of a vacation to England where he visited the town of York, whose Jewish inhabitants were massacred in 1190 after being given the choice of being baptized or killed.

Ancient history? No more so than the events portrayed in Gibson's movie.

"For 2,000 years, four words have fueled Western attitudes: 'The Jews killed Christ,"' DeBoskey says.

Colorado has an uneasy past with racism and anti-Semitism, beginning with the Ku Klux Klan's dominance of state politics in the 1920s, and punctuated by the KKK march in the late 1970s and Berg's 1984 assassination.

To this day, Diane Summers can't shake the childhood memory of white-robed Klansmen marching past her family's house on their way to her Orthodox synagogue in Denver's Hilltop neighborhood.

"It was absolutely frightening," she says. "My mother was freaking out."

"That's not so far in the past. It's not like it was in the 1950s in Alabama," she says.

Summers' synagogue and others around Denver routinely receive police protection during the High Holy Days, she says.

Most anti-Semitism around Denver takes the form of vandalism and harassment, according to the ADL, which tracks such incidents.

In 2002, the last year for which statistics were available, anti-Semitic incidents rose 8 percent nationwide over the previous year, according to the ADL. Colorado, with 35 anti-Semitic incidents, ranked 11th among the 41 states reporting them.

The National Alliance, the country's largest white-supremacist group, has been distributing fliers in Colorado communities, most recently in Boulder.

Although the fliers target black people, the National Alliance "is anti-Semitic, anti-immigrant, anti- black. They're equal-opportunity haters," Zuckerman says.

On its website, the National Alliance offers the furor over the "The Passion of the Christ" as "proof" of Jewish control of the media.

After complaints of anti-Semitism, Gibson reportedly removed the English subtitles from the scene in his movie where, as recounted in Matthew 27:25, the high priest Caiaphas makes his much-debated pronouncement: "His blood be upon us and our children."

DeBoskey fears subtle distinctions, such as removing the phrase, will be lost upon casual viewers. Much as actor Charlton Heston is forever linked with the 1956 film "The Ten Commandments," DeBoskey says, "This movie being made today will shape cultural images, cultural views, cultural attitudes for decades to come."

He says that would be a shame, particularly in the United States, which has been largely free from widespread violent anti-Semitism.

"There is a history of acceptance and tolerance and diversity in America that is unparalleled in the world," he says.

Rabbi Rosenfeld, now of Denver, says that when he arrived in the United States after the end of World War II, "I never felt any barbs or any slighting remarks about my Jewishness. I definitely feel this is the greatest blessing."

And Greenwald says decades ago, when he told his Catholic supervisor that he could not work his post office job on Friday nights because of his Sabbath observance, the man was impressed by the level of his faith and readily adjusted his schedule.

"It's rare for a lawyer to be speechless," Greenwald says, "but I can tell you this: That for about 40 years ... I had only one bad deal in all those years." That time, he says, he felt remarks about Israel's treatment of Palestinians crossed the line into anti-Semitism.

Summers says, the Klan march aside, her life as an Orthodox Jew in Denver has been largely problem-free. In fact, when her son was seeking a hockey league that wouldn't require him to play Saturday games, he found a home in the Shaka Inner City Edge Youth Hockey program. Other players were curious about her son's yarmulke and the tzitzis fringes on his shirt, but once explanations were over, hockey ensued, she says.

DeBoskey says he hopes that sort of tolerance prevails nationwide after the release of "The Passion of the Christ."

"In America," he says, "we can dialogue and argue and disagree. That's the beauty of the freedoms we get here. The rest of the world isn't so lucky."
0 Replies