Mel Gibsons (The Passion)

micah

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 10:56 am
will you go see it? have you seen it? thoughts?

i have not seen it yet...but i will....kudos to mel for financing this himself!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 8,928 • Replies: 140
No top replies

micah

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 11:50 am
i guess a lady died from this movie already

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4375158/
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 12:04 pm
truth
What's the point of seeing "The Crucifiction According to Mel?"
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 12:17 pm
Re: Mel Gibsons (The Passion)
micah wrote:

My wife and I have plans to see it. It looks like it is going to be a realistic portrayal of the times. Mel's movies are usually very good. Braveheart was a wonderful movie, a bit "sexed up", but a good movie none the less. I would expect about the same from this.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 12:46 pm
Here you go Micah. Does this give you the warm fuzzies?Jews Killed Jay-suss! Say ay-meyun!
Quote:
Pastor says 'Jews killed Jesus' sign isn't hateful

Nationwide outrage erupts over message at Denver church

By Jean Torkelson and Brian D. Crecente, Rocky Mountain News
February 26, 2004

A church sign that said "Jews killed the Lord Jesus" ignited a national firestorm of outrage Wednesday and packed the church parking lot with a religiously diverse crowd of protesters.

The message didn't survive the day.

Advertisement

At noon a mother of four leaned a ladder against the sign and pulled down the word "Jew."

By 9 p.m. members of the church had removed the rest.

The Rev. Maurice Gordon of Lovingway United Pentecostal Church, 999 S. Colorado Blvd., said the message on the sign was not hateful.

"It would be hateful if it pointed at anybody alive today," Gordon said. "But this has been part of the record for 2,000 years."

The 73-year-old pastor said the message was meant to get people to read the Bible. But it provoked other reactions.

Angry calls flooded radio stations, and some motorists careened across the boulevard, not believing what they were seeing.

"People were pulling three lanes over to get a look," said Jennifer Patrick, a surgical assistant who works in an office facing the church.

About noon, Ami Ship drove to the church to see if the sign really said what she thought it said.

After knocking on the doors of the church and calling to try to get someone to take the sign down, Ship decided to do it herself.

She drove across the street to a Home Depot and bought a ladder and took down "Jew."

"I thought, 'I don't want to see the sign anymore.' " Ship said. "Hateful messages like that promote anti-Semitism. It was very offensive."

The incident occurred against the backdrop of Wednesday's opening of Mel Gibson's movie, The Passion of the Christ, which chronicles the last 12 hours of Jesus' life. It has drawn charges of anti-Semitism.

Gordon said he was partly motivated by Gibson's movie, but added he would not be seeing the film itself because he neither attends movies nor watches television.

The United Pentecostal Church International, headquartered in Hazelwood, Mo., said in a statement it did not condone Gordon's action.

The "decision was made without support or contribution from the United Pentecostal Church International and does not reflect our position on this matter. We regret any offense his actions have caused . . . One of our constant prayers is to pray for Jerusalem and the Jewish people as the Lord has commanded us."

Earlier in the day, the Anti-Defamation League called on Gordon to remove the "painful and divisive message." And the Colorado Council of Churches said: "It's ironic that a church named Lovingway would advance such an attitude of hurtfulness."

Gordon's sign also prompted a response from the Los Angeles-based Simon Wiesenthal Center urging Christian leaders in Denver to rebuke the Lovingway church.

"The Jewish people have suffered from the libel of deicide for nearly 2,000 years," said a statement from Rabbi Abraham Cooper, associate dean of the center. "We continue to look to our Christian neighbors and friends to rebuke those who would pass off this canard as theology."

The Simon Wiesenthal Center is one of the largest international Jewish human rights organizations in the world, with more than 400,000 member families in the United States, according to its Web site.

At 7 p.m. about 200 people, including Promise Keepers founder Bill McCartney, gathered in front of the Denver church to protest the sign.

The crowd of Jews and Christians waved signs with phrases like "God killed Jesus" written on them.

"This anti-Semitic message is un-Christian, and it is a sin," said Michael Walker, senior pastor at Church in the City. "That is false Christianity on that sign."

Nate Hyatt, Gordon's grandson, said that the sign's statement was probably bad timing.

"It's definitely not what we stand for," he said.

Gordon said he was prepared to take the sign down. "It probably served its purpose," he said.

And by 9 p.m. the message had been changed, now telling the roughly 60,000 motorists who pass it each day:

"God so loved the world that he gave

"He's still giving!"

0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 12:47 pm
Re: Mel Gibsons (The Passion)
McGentrix wrote:
micah wrote:

My wife and I have plans to see it. It looks like it is going to be a realistic portrayal of the times. Mel's movies are usually very good. Braveheart was a wonderful movie, a bit "sexed up", but a good movie none the less. I would expect about the same from this.

McGentrix, Braveheart was almost as accurate as Heath Ledger's "A Knight's Tale." Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 12:58 pm
When are you planning to see it Micah?

Just ignore Hobitbob and maybe he will go away...
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 01:03 pm
How about addressing the actions of Gordon and his "loving way?" Mad
0 Replies

micah

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 01:03 pm
as soon as possible....i hate going to crowded movies though, so i think i'm gonna wait until it dies down....

i was listening to some callers on the radio this morning and of course the DJ's were bashing Christianity, but some callers who were not Christian were deeply affected and went out to buy bibles and read them.

i think this movie is great for Christianity, many Jews have recently said they're ok with the film...
but i want to see it ASAP...may not until this weekend or after...

i think he should do a part 2 though and show some after-effects including His resurrection...
0 Replies

micah

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 01:04 pm
hobitbob wrote:
How about addressing the actions of Gordon and his "loving way?" Mad

flash gordon?????
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 01:10 pm
I'm sure he thinks of himself that way. Come on! What is your opinion of this person's actions? Do you agree? Do you disagree?
0 Replies

micah

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 01:21 pm
hobitbob wrote:
I'm sure he thinks of himself that way. Come on! What is your opinion of this person's actions? Do you agree? Do you disagree?

thats one person out 300 million americans....my own opinion is:

God killed Jesus....or rather...allowed it to happen so that Jesus could fulfill his purpose of saving mankind...(remember God asking Abraham to put his own child on the alter and kill him?)

it is mostly irrelevant 'who' killed Jesus....the fact is, Jesus (who is God) sacrificed Himself for us to pay the penalty of our sins (our sins must be 'paid' for with something because God is a holy God)

the bible is understood by children yet contains enough depth to keep scholars busy for their life-times.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 01:23 pm
So were Gordon's actions "Christian" in nature?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 01:24 pm
My wife is anxious to see it. I have to admit that I want to see it just to find out for myself what the hubbub is all about. I seem to remember a lot of ferocity over "The last temptation of Christ" too. Religious movies seem to bring out the best and the worse in people.

I thought it did end with the resurrection, maybe I just heard that though.
0 Replies

micah

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 01:27 pm
McGentrix wrote:
I thought it did end with the resurrection, maybe I just heard that though.

maybe it does, i don't know....either way, a part 2 would be nice...
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 01:29 pm
hobitbob
I think you are talking to a Gordon ally.
0 Replies

micah

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 01:31 pm
hobitbob wrote:
So were Gordon's actions "Christian" in nature?

look, obviously the man should not have put up those words..but i'm not about to say he's not a Christian....i wouldn't have displayed those words....Jesus real purpose is lost in those words, not to mention their devisive nature....
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 01:33 pm
The importance of Jesus was his message -- not the fact that he was executed.

Fixating on the ugliness of his rather than his message is exactly the wrong way to go.

Jesus, may very well have died because of his message.

He was not tortured because of it -- he was tortured because people back then were even more primitive and barbaric than we are today -- and they enjoyed torturing people and watching others tortured.

It takes a sick mind to enjoy watching someone get tortured -- and a sicker one to make a movie with its basic theme being the torture of a human.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 01:37 pm
Actually, Frank, I might see it on video. Judging by the one scene I have watched, it looks like it might be artsy (one can only hope.) If I hear otherwise it won't be on my list.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 01:41 pm
Frank, as you are always a scholar on these issues and seem to be well informed, could you remind me why Catholics use the crucifix instead of the cross in the churches?
0 Replies