Is free-will an illusion?

ughaibu

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2012 10:07 pm
@tomr,
tomr wrote:
Quote:
7) free will is unavoidably assumed to be real by all healthy human adults
I am tired of you telling everyone who doesn't think like you that they are not healthy human beings. Always implying mental problems in others.
Rubbish. Below a certain age children are incapable of performing freely willed actions, also there are adults with various conditions that prevent them. In short, it is exactly in order to prevent silly pseudo-objections that I have included these exceptions. Nevertheless, you've managed a silly pseudo-objection, again.
0 Replies

imans

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 02:10 am
@tomr,
tomr wrote:

Quote:
7) free will is unavoidably assumed to be real by all healthy human adults
8) we unavoidably assume free will to be real, we can demonstrate freely willed actions and we have no non-psychological reason to doubt the reality of free will.

We are all just people trying to understand the world. got tired of you thinking you are superior to everyone.

u r here again provin being what u mean to use as a justification to claim the opposite

people tryin to understand the world
where did u get that from being right

u people?? u r all people so u can say about all people ??? who r u then who state then just a free people, when the most tiny symbolic free point is nothing else but it that in anything and everything it means as far and long as it stays there so constant growth of that fact

who is actin clearly as superior to everyone but u here obviously

now in most objective perspectives tryin to understand smthg else or superiority while being out as right knowledge is totally wrong and worse

go try smthg urself and give us some feedback of ur discoveries where we will b the people to judge u alone sellin us somthg if to please u we will buy some or give u back some or not

the guy was clearly pointin that logics while i degraded it at an extreme just to reach ur means so u as tiny symbolic freedom alone could get some

he was simply saying that freedom is self responsability of being constant as long as we are there u can b real and assume the result clearly of ourselves realities, statin even that every human is healthy and sane in principle

how did it become that he is saying that every human is by principal sick and unsane

it becomes like that bc u r around to suit urself freedom that need to use any excuse of others as objective confirming god words that all are sinners
while being that pervert will, in order to get for u back anything from god being the idea of
so by being the pervert that abuse possible reverses to facts to get them weakest possible and stay constant continuously by confirmin ur superior state

he clearly wasnt personnal while u obviously werent nothing but that

what is not personnal is true

so go get smthg in hand and then come back talkin about it only sepeculations
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2012 10:41 am
@tomr,
The contradiction is implied when simultaneously you recur to causation to establish a link between the willing and the action to materialize your willing all the way when simultaneously defending that your willing is free from constrains, that is, that you can act against constrains, you can't have it both ways...either constrains operate and causation is true in which case you will but not freely, or if causation is not true your willing cannot result in any action which can be attributed to you but it is purely a random statistical correlation... what is denied in the case of free will is not the willing that you have but the excessive perhaps inappropriate usage of the term "free" behind it which is misleading...the idiot to which you were replying fails to understand it although he is very preoccupied in passing an image of a thorough analysis on the matter...
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2012 10:49 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
the case based on quantum uncertainty is even worse regarding free will advocates and nobody well informed uses it today....in fact it doesn't take more then 2 minutes to see the stupidity of such claim...the problem of free will imply s a contradiction between the acceptance of determinism and causation and the denying of total constrains on the willing of the subject...it is not like you can go both ways in this matter ...either there is a relation of cause n effect or there isn't !
On the other hand the hypocrisy of those who opt for soft determinism gives me the creeps...Philosophy should not be reduced to Politics !
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2012 11:05 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
What the **** in good plain English could it mean a will which is determined and free...the argument they bring forward is no less then anecdotal...for one they state although who you are is constrained by the world the genetics and your culture your choice still is free because you want what you want and that you still did chose between A and B....they claim that even if the circumstances repeated for a 1000 times and you still always choose the same way you still could say your choice was free because it was yours...they fail to accept the usage of "yours" as a free choice is no less then abusive...the fact that I compute a choice on my willing doesn't make it free if all the conditions for such computing that make me who I am could not be chosen by me for obvious reasons as I cannot be the cause of myself...I am undoubtedly the product of circumstance in the world, a constant mirror of its process and unfolding and although I can claim I am a willing computing being, such computing and willing are mere process to which I have no control but from which I am a product, a result of !
tomr

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2012 12:11 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
What the **** in good plain English could it mean a will which is determined and free...the argument they bring forward is no less then anecdotal...for one they state although who you are is constrained by the world the genetics and your culture your choice still is free because you want what you want and that you still did chose between A and B....they claim that even if the circumstances repeated for a 1000 times and you still always choose the same way you still could say your choice was free because it was yours...they fail to accept the usage of "yours" as a free choice is no less then abusive...the fact that I compute a choice on my willing doesn't make it free if all the conditions for such computing that make me who I am could not be chosen by me for obvious reasons as I cannot be the cause of myself...I am undoubtedly the product of circumstance in the world, a constant mirror of its process and unfolding and although I can claim I am a willing computing being, such computing and willing are mere process to which I have no control but from which I am a product, a result of !

You clearly have not either heard or understood the coin argument which proves beyond reason that the odds of free will being determined are vanishingly small... If I pull a dime out of my dickhole and it hurts, then no one seriously doubts that I could repeat that process indefinitely. No one has any non-psychological reason to doubt if I **** out a roll of quarters and broke them open then I would be able to chose a number 01 or 10. I will write those numbers down and noone doubts seriously that I can do this also for an endless number of quarter rolls. So I have infinity numbers and infinite coin flips. Do you think I matched them? The fact that I did not match them obviously means I have free will. Because if determinism were true, there would already be a fact about how I will chose. If you tell your prediction and then I tell you something different then I most certaintly have freedom. Because I did what I wanted and you must have a psychological problem if you deny my rubbish. Its merely observational experimental science.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2012 12:36 pm
@tomr,
Quote:
coin argument which proves beyond reason that the odds of free will being determined are vanishingly small...
Tomr I find this hard to understand

Isn't it contradictory to say, "free will being determined"

The more carefully controlled the conditions of an experiment the more consistent its result, seems to make the idea of free will vanishingly small

Could a third party who really understands this stuff, please step in
tomr

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2012 02:33 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:

Don't make me explain the coin argument again. It really hurts me. I actually have to pull change out of my dickhole while picking numbers 01 or 10 or it doesn't make any sense at all. I must therefore conclude you either lack the ability to understand this proof or are in a state of psychological denial.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2012 04:23 pm
@tomr,
Help me somebody, isn't it contradictory or by the expression does Tomr instead mean "free will being verified" or "conformed"
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2012 06:50 pm
@tomr,
From where does it follow or from where do you prove that if I tell you my prediction you would choose something different eh ?
Determinism is strictly linked to willing only because you attribute you will to you and not to chance !!!
Obviously you also don' t get **** either on this matter I am out not loosing any more time in here !
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2012 07:11 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
PS - You would if you would I easily can predict you will sleep this week drink water breath and eat, prove me wrong !

...but even if I was wrong, for such argument to be valid it would be necessary that my prediction was infallible which I cannot be certain of nor anyone else can for the matter...all in all your argument actually sucks, specially when you fail to notice the connection that evidently distinguishes between there being a random willing and a possessor of will or someone which is the CAUSE of will...
0 Replies

tomr

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2012 07:26 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
From where does it follow or from where do you prove that if I tell you my prediction you would choose something different eh ?
Determinism is strictly linked to willing only because you attribute you will to you and not to chance !!!
Obviously you also don' t get **** either on this matter I am out not loosing any more time in here !

Wow guys. I was joking. I was taking up the argument that I had argued against for the past week and saying I would pull dimes out of my dickhole. I did not mean for you to take me seriously.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2012 07:26 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
or "conformed"
s/b "confirmed"
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2012 07:28 pm
@tomr,
lol never mind then...is late here in Portugal. Wink
dalehileman

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2012 07:34 pm
@tomr,
Quote:
Don't make me explain the coin argument again.
Is that posting #…942 above
tomr

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2012 07:44 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
No problem. I understand being tired, i am getting there too. I was going for a deep level of sarcasm that didn't translate as well as I had hoped.
0 Replies

tomr

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2012 07:44 pm
@dalehileman,
Yes that was the one.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2012 08:14 pm
The phrase, "free-will," seems redundant. As I see it (logically not experientially) "will" is free by definition. Can there be an "unfree-will? If will were powered by something else--if I were determined by something else--that something else would have the power misattributed to my "will", not me.
Who said: I can do as I will but I cannot will as I will (Schopenhauer)?
ughaibu

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2012 08:15 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
Quote:
coin argument which proves beyond reason that the odds of free will being determined are vanishingly small...
Bear in mind that Tomr is abusing the term determinism. As explained here:
ughaibu wrote:
tomr wrote:
Determinism is local.
No it isn't. Determinism is the thesis that the world at all times has a globally definite state which can, in principle, be fully described, that there are laws of nature which are the same in all times and places, and that given the state of the world at any time, the state of the world at all other times is exactly and globally specified by the given state in conjunction with the laws of nature. Again, this is what philosophers are talking about. If you mean something else, call that thing something else, as this is a philosophy discussion board.
determinism has a clearly defined meaning, for philosophers. However, despite having had this pointed out, Tomr continues to use the term in some idiosyncratic sense.
This is a general problem in internet discussions about free will; often the participants don't understand what either of the terms: free will and determinism, mean. Worse, "determinism" is often used to mean different things at different times, even by individual posters.
dalehileman wrote:
Compatibilists hold that free will is possible in a determined world. To remind you; an agent has free will on any occasion on which that agent makes and enacts a conscious choice from amongst realisable alternatives. The problem for compatibilists is that, on the face of it, there are no realisable alternatives in a determined world. However, as it seems obvious to most people that we have free will, those who want to maintain the claim that we live in a determined world need some kind of story about compatibilism. Usually this amounts to interpreting realisability in terms of logical possibility, or sometimes even physical possibility. I don't think that either approach stands on its own and any compatibilist position is met by the coin argument, which shows that the probability of the world being determined is vanishingly small.
dalehileman wrote:
The more carefully controlled the conditions of an experiment the more consistent its result, seems to make the idea of free will vanishingly small
You're assuming that such an experiment can be undertaken, in short you're assuming that some relevant scientist has free will. In itself this already establishes that there is no experiment which can cast doubt on the reality of free will, because all experiments assume the free will of the experimenters.
Here:
ughaibu wrote:
About the nonsense of exactly repeated conditions; experimental repeatability is an essential principle of science, and this is not the statement that given exactly identical conditions there is exactly one experimenter who can repeat a procedure. If the procedure is typing 01 and posting it on the internet, then this procedure can be repeated by any researcher with the ability to type, a suitable computer and internet access. It is exactly the point of experimental repeatability that other researchers in other times and places can perform the same actions. Obviously I am capable of typing 01 and have a suitable computer with an internet connection, so, equally obviously, typing 01 is an action which I can repeat, as already demonstrated. That I can repeat the given procedure is an essential principle of experimental science. I now similarly establish that typing 10 is a repeatable procedure and I have generated an option set: {01, 10}.
In an earlier post I defined "choice" and "conscious choice", I now choose a single member proper subset of my option set and make my choice set: {10}.
Thus I have made a selection from amongst realisable alternatives, by definition and guaranteed by essential principles of experimental science.
I now enact my choice and type 10, thereby completing the demonstration.
it was demonstrated that by appeal to essential principles of science, we can establish an option set, that means we are guaranteed realisable alternatives by essential principles of science. From this and the definitions of choice and conscious choice given here:
ughaibu wrote:
A "choice" is the construction of a set with exactly one member and which is a proper subset of an option set.
A choice is conscious if the agent has imagined future expectations for each option, compared those options and holds one as preferred before enactment.
it is trivial to demonstrate a conscious choice from amongst realisable alternatives, and as that is free will, by definition, it is trivial to demonstrate free will.
Nobody really doubts this, if free will were not observable then there could be no "illusion" of free will. But more importantly, the above demonstrates that free will is observable in a scientific sense, in order to deny the observability of free will the denier must give up essential principles of science. So, again, there is no scientific procedure that can consistently show free will to be in doubt.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2012 08:45 pm
@JLNobody,
Maybe you would understand it if you realize awareness doesn't equate control...the fact that you choose and will does not imply that such choice is not any less part of a web that overpowers and molds your willing in the process...the illusion of possession is the funny part of it...again people confuse concordance and causal links with property of cause...
0 Replies