R.I.P Neil Armstrong

jcboy

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 01:17 pm
We lost a great man, today.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/breaking-news/neil-armstrong-dead-at-age-82-report/story-e6frf7k6-1226458176249

Quote:
NEIL Armstrong, the first man to walk on the moon, has died at the age of 82, NBC News has reported.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg152/scaled.php?server=152&filename=neilo.jpg&res=landing

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 01:27 pm
Not really that old. RIP, Neil.
jcboy

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 01:29 pm
@edgarblythe,
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/08/25/13478643-astronaut-neil-armstrong-first-man-to-walk-on-moon-dies-at-age-82?lite

Quote:
Neil Armstrong, the first man to walk on the moon, died Saturday, weeks after heart surgery and days after his 82nd birthday.

Armstrong commanded the Apollo 11 spacecraft that landed on the moon on July 20, 1969, and he radioed back to Earth the historic news of "one giant leap for mankind." He spent nearly three hours walking on the moon with fellow astronaut Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin.

Armstrong and hiw wife, Carol, married in 1999, made their home in the Cincinnati suburb of Indian Hill, but he had largely stayed out of public view in recent years.

He spoke at Ohio State University during a February event honoring fellow astronaut John Glenn and the 50th anniversary of Glenn becoming the first American to orbit the Earth. In May, Armstrong joined Gene Cernan, the last man to walk on the moon, at Pensacola Naval Air Station in Florida to support the opening of The National Flight Academy, which aims to teach math and science to kids through an aviation-oriented camp.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 01:33 pm
That "one giant leap for mankind" quote is going to be in all the history books for hundreds of years.

Rest in peace, Neil.
jcboy

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 01:52 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
What a line it was, too!
0 Replies

MMarciano

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 02:04 pm
He never sought the spotlight, but his small step helped change the world.
realjohnboy

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 05:26 pm
@MMarciano,
Two Armstrong stories.
Bob Hope brought him to Vietnam. We didn't quite know who he was when they showed up on Christmas day in 1969.
I was in one of the front rows. I was struck by how nervous Armstrong was; twisting his baseball type hat into knots. Hope made his jokes, of course, but to no avail in getting Armstrong to loosen up. He was a surprisingly shy man.

A few years later I hitch hiked for a couple years though Africa. In remote areas - remote areas - people would say "Armstrong! Man on the moon! Is he a member of your tribe?"
MMarciano

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 08:00 pm
@realjohnboy,
I can see the moon smiling down at us tonight. Another bit of American history gone.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 03:15 am
He was a very decent man, heroic and modest with it. Now I always think of this sketch though, no disrespect intended.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2013 04:07 pm
@jcboy,
There was a fantasy book I came across in my public library that have ghost Saturn Vs taking off from the abandoned moon launch pad right after Neil death.

I kept wondering when I would hear of the ghost rockets shaking the ground at the Cape.
LionTamerX

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2013 04:20 pm
@BillRM,
http://www.lolomgwtfbbq.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/funny-Neil-Armstrong-astronaut-moon.jpeg
0 Replies

hater

Reply Mon 15 Jul, 2013 10:42 pm
@jcboy,
that lying nasa collaborator should burn in hell for taking part in that hoax
0 Replies