The meaning of "Key phrases with the highest percentage of Web sites containing inaccurate info"

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 10:28 pm
Could I understand "Key phrases with the highest percentage of Web sites containing inaccurate information " as "Key phrases that produce the highest percentage of hits (of Google search result) on Web sites containing inaccurate information...?

Context:

Google search no guarantee for health data accuracy

One inaccuracy encountered, for example, was the high number of sites that promoted parent-child bed sharing to help encourage breast-feeding, a highly controversial topic according to researchers, as some data suggests bed sharing may increase the infant’s risk for SIDS.
Key phrases with the highest percentage of Web sites containing inaccurate information included:
Pacifier infant (14 percent accuracy)
Infant home monitors (18 percent accuracy)
Infant co-sleeping (20 percent accuracy)

More:

http://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/google-glance-may-lead-one-astray-infant-sleep-advice
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,697 • Replies: 10
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
contrex
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 12:43 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

Could I understand "Key phrases with the highest percentage of Web sites containing inaccurate information " as "Key phrases that produce the highest percentage of hits (of Google search result) on Web sites containing inaccurate information...?

Yes. Google searches and indexes web pages; when you type a word or phrase into the search box, you are shown pages that contain all or some of the words in that phrase. Some pages about infant care contain what is judged (by some researchers) to be inaccurate information, namely that parent-child bed sharing is a good thing. The article you quoted showed a list of search phrases which had been used, and for each such phrase, the percentage of pages found with (judged to be) accurate information.

Researchers entered 13 key phrases pertaining to infant sleep safety, and then analyzed a total of 1,300 Web sites found through Google search. Less than half (43.5 percent) of the sites listed contained infant sleep safety information that reflects American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommendations.

oristarA

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 03:34 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

oristarA wrote:

Yes. Google searches and indexes web pages; when you type a word or phrase into the search box, you are shown pages that contain all or some of the words in that phrase. Some pages about infant care contain what is judged (by some researchers) to be inaccurate information, namely that parent-child bed sharing is a good thing. The article you quoted showed a list of search phrases which had been used, and for each such phrase, the percentage of pages found with (judged to be) accurate information.

Researchers entered 13 key phrases pertaining to infant sleep safety, and then analyzed a total of 1,300 Web sites found through Google search. Less than half (43.5 percent) of the sites listed contained infant sleep safety information that reflects American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommendations.

Excellent!

The "Pacifier infant" (14 percent accuracy) obviously denotes that
86% web site containing inaccurate information about the phrase, thus it is one of the key phrases with the highest percentage of Web sites containing inaccurate infomation"?

What is "Pacifier infant" by the way?

contrex

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 03:51 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
What is "Pacifier infant" by the way?

A pacifier is a US name for a rubber or plastic thing that some people put in babies mouths to keep them quiet. In the UK we use the word 'dummy' for these things, I guess because it is a dummy (fake, substitute) nipple. My mother hated them and said they were bad for babies and could give them buck teeth (I doubt this) and also she thought that they looked "common" (UK usage meaning, roughly, "only suitable for white trash".

http://site.childcarecatalog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/pacifier.jpg

http://cdn9.wn.com/ph/img/96/49/ea888158d356e9e548e24f434015-grande.jpg
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 04:53 am
To clarify: "pacifier infant" is a phrase that had been often submitted to Google as a search. The object is called by Americans an "infant pacifier".
oristarA

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 06:26 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

To clarify: "pacifier infant" is a phrase that had been often submitted to Google as a search. The object is called by Americans an "infant pacifier".

Thank you.
But I'm not clear whether "Pacifier infant" refers to pacifier or refers to infant.
contrex

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 06:41 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

But I'm not clear whether "Pacifier infant" refers to pacifier or refers to infant.

It is not a phrase in a piece of text. It is an arbitrarily ordered search term entered into Google. Like "babe swimsuit" or "kitten cute", it is not to be considered in a grammatical way. The searchers were clearly looking for web sites mentioning pacifiers for infants, and not pacifiers for dogs.

http://www.petsathome.com/wcsstore/ConsumerDirectStorefrontAssetStore/images/products/large/22216.jpg
oristarA

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 07:34 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

oristarA wrote:

It is not a phrase in a piece of text. It is an arbitrarily ordered search term entered into Google. Like "babe swimsuit" or "kitten cute", it is not to be considered in a grammatical way. The searchers were clearly looking for web sites mentioning pacifiers for infants, and not pacifiers for dogs.

http://www.petsathome.com/wcsstore/ConsumerDirectStorefrontAssetStore/images/products/large/22216.jpg

Cool.
Thanks.

Could any one explain what is "Infant home monitors"?
contrex

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 09:02 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

Electronic system like an intercom, used by parents of babies. You get two devices. One device contains a microphone and maybe a video camera and is placed near the baby's cot and the other device is in another room. This usually has a loudspeaker and maybe video screen. The parents or babysitter can hear if the baby is crying or see if it is awake.

http://vt.vtp-media.com/ecp/documents/product_Product/1703/7131/VM321.jpg

oristarA

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 09:20 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

oristarA wrote:

Electronic system like an intercom, used by parents of babies. You get two devices. One device contains a microphone and maybe a video camera and is placed near the baby's cot and the other device is in another room. This usually has a loudspeaker and maybe video screen. The parents or babysitter can hear if the baby is crying or see if it is awake.

http://vt.vtp-media.com/ecp/documents/product_Product/1703/7131/VM321.jpg

Cool stuff.
I wonder how much money it would cost.

contrex

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 09:42 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
I wonder how much money it would cost.

That model, 129.95 US dollars list price with free delivery. $116.75 at Amazon and $99.88 at another site but delivery is extra on those.

http://www.babymonitors.vtech.com/babymonitors/index.cfm/shop/video-monitors/

0 Replies