They’re 18 for Gods sake

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2012 08:16 pm
Cases of educators having sex with students of varying ages is very common in the local news. I don't know about the rest of the states, but around here they need to put saltpeter in the cafeteria food, I think.
edit
That could be a part of the reasoning for such tough laws.
BillRM

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2012 08:55 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Cases of educators having sex with students of varying ages is very common in the local news. I don't know about the rest of the states, but around here they need to put saltpeter in the cafeteria food, I think

This is nothing new as in the 1930s one of my mother girlfriends got involved with one of her high school teachers and shortly after her graduation they in fact got married.

My mother claimed that her husband/teacher did not treat her girlfriend well and she had a very unhappy life.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 03:59 am
@msolga,
Quote:
I have read every comment on this thread

Reading is like wine drinking. You can sip the wine and roll it around on your taste buds appreciating the bouquet and identifying the region where it was produced or you can gulp it down in one swig to get the alcoholic effect.

Your post suggests that you gulp your reading because all the questions you ask have been covered.

Who placed a lady like that in close and continuing proximity with 18 year old football players in a warm climate. If the English she was teaching was related to literature the provocations would be immense.

Where was your response to my "the riot squad are restless they need somewhere to go" post on page 9?

I trust you weren't one of the down thumbers. That would disqualify you from being a teacher of other people's children.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 04:01 am
@msolga,
Quote:
I have worked in 2 or 3 schools which have had to deal with the publicity fall-out of cases like this one & it can have a devastating impact, trust me.

One might think that "devastating impacts" could be counted accurately.
msolga

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 04:26 am
@spendius,
Do you have anything relevant or even vaguely interesting to say on the subject of this thread?

If so let's hear it!
That would make for a nice change.

spendius

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 06:07 am
@msolga,
Those are meaningless blurts Olga and do not justify your failure to respond properly to my post on page 9.

If you cannot accept anti-Christian, materialistic, modern scientific thought you would be better ceasing to promote superficial anti-Christian propaganda.

You're flouncing. One wonders how you would react if it was put to you straight.

There are three things to consider. Texas as a Christian culture, Christian theology on active promiscuous females and scientific technologies of behaviour.

For the latter see D.M. Armstrong's materialist theory of mind and B.F, Skinner's Beyond Freedom and Dignity. There's a rather interesting thread on A2K concerning Armstrong's book. The last post (not by me) puts it all down to the pheromones and you can't blame a girl for her pheromones now can you? Not scientifically. You might as well give somebody 5 years for liking sugar.

And you can't take your half-baked prejudices out on her either.

You're with the witch-hunters Olga and you should know it.

A scientific technology of behaviour would not place 18 year old male athletes under the supervision of a lady like that. Whoever did should be in the dock. They should certainly be fired.

spendius

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 06:14 am
@spendius,
And you're with those Victorians who thought females had no sexual response and were expected to "lie back and think of England".
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 06:29 am
@spendius,
Quote:
Those are meaningless blurts Olga and do not justify your failure to respond properly to my post on page 9.

If I'd wanted to respond to your posts on page 9 I would have.
If I wanted to respond to this post, I would.
Same as anyone else here, OK?
spendius

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 06:31 am
@msolga,
I would say that you didn't respond because they are too interesting.
msolga

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 06:32 am
@spendius,
Ha. That must be it! Laughing
spendius

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 09:18 am
@msolga,
Here's a bit of Prof. B.F. Skinner. That's Burrhus Frederic "B. F." Skinner (March 20, 1904 – August 18, 1990) who was an American psychologist, behaviorist, author, inventor, and social philosopher. He was the Edgar Pierce Professor of Psychology at Harvard University from 1958 until his retirement in 1974.

Quote:
The word punishment is usually confined to contingencies intentionally arranged by other people, who arrange them because the results are reinforcing to them.

He uses "usually" to distinguish natural punishing objects in the environment such as piss-pots you stub your toe on in the dark which are doubly aversive. Such a negative reinforcer has caused the human race to put piss-pots under the bed.

I could, I did to some extent, write on the subject of intentionally arranged contingencies reinforcing an inverted pyramid of "other people" but I had better not.

But we do need an explanation of why other states operating under the same Constitution do not see fit to punish this lovely lady or even charge her with a misdemeanor and Texas does to an extent, five years with a twenty option, which beggars belief. Why do Texans, possibly uniquely, arrange for themselves reinforcing contingencies of this extreme sort. That's an interesting question in my mind.

A further Skinnerism just for you Olga--

Quote:
A person resorts to punishment when he criticises, ridicules, blames, or physically attacks another in order to suppress unwanted behaviour.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 10:29 am
@spendius,
Quote:
But we do need an explanation of why other states operating under the same Constitution do not see fit to punish this lovely lady or even charge her with a misdemeanor and Texas does to an extent, five years with a twenty option, which beggars belief. Why do Texans, possibly uniquely, arrange for themselves reinforcing contingencies of this extreme sort. That's an interesting question in my mind.

Interesting indeed, Spendius. I have no answer for it other than speculation, but I would love to hear from Texans, who apparently are overwhelmingly conservative and who overwhelmingly seem to rail against too much government...about why they are so excessively punishment prone.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 10:51 am
@spendius,
there's a lot of something going on out there

California

http://abcnews.go.com/US/california-teacher-public-student-relationship-charged-sexual-assault/story?id=16089773

New York

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Irish-American-teacher-filmed-herself-raping-16-year-old-student-127293348.html

D.C.

charged and fired

http://www.newstimes.com/news/article/School-fires-teacher-charged-with-sex-assault-2227842.php

Illinois

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/Teacher-Charged-with-Sexual-Assault.html

you could probably get a hit on every state for this stuff
BillRM

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 10:54 am
@Frank Apisa,
They seem to love government when it come to banning gay sex or mixed race sex and so on.......

GOP nation wide are all for the government to leave the boardrooms of business and move into the bedrooms of it citizens instead.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 11:27 am
@Frank Apisa,
I imagine there are a number of reasons Frank.

Generally speaking, it is known that readiness to punish is associated with insecurity. The ten gallon hat would seem to be consistent with insecurity as well. The loud voice also. The big talk.

Then there's the sheer sadistic enjoyment of punishing any convenient scapegoat. "Crucify her" stuff. And the superior righteous sanctimony which is always as safe as being strapped in a pram in swaddling clothes.

There's the envy.

But money is my first choice. It must make money for somebody or some class or classes. Take her from the knock on the door to her eventual parole. Parole is so another bunch of wankers can have a go at the carcass. Those who keep and maintain the records from which background checks are made. I know from experience how jealously the keepers of the records of listed buildings guard their patch. They claim when giving lectures in infant's schools that they are preserving our national heritage. Oh yeah!! They are preserving the nice cosy jobs they have fetched up in.

Dealing with 3 children who might be embittered. There might be some counselling to do there. That's a cosy job too. As is inflicting a level on security on her tender and beautiful flesh as if she is Dillinger.

I feel like one of those knights who is passing a high tower from a top window of which a distressed young maiden is waving a flimsy piece of linen in the hope of being rescued from an evil father who is hoping to trade her purity for a leg up in the world. Does Brittni not stir that impulse in you?

But I'm a misogynist.

Where are the feminists and pro-choicers? On the side of the law on this occasion it seems.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 11:35 am
@ehBeth,
Which side are you on Beth?

There's no neutral ground here.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 11:51 am
@spendius,
What are my choices?
dalehileman

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 11:56 am
@ehBeth,
Good one Beth
BillRM

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 12:01 pm
@dalehileman,
In what ways as the choice is clear should we allow the state to outlaw by way of the criminal code consensus sex between adults?

Be that gay sex , interracial sex, S&M sex, students teachers sex, boss and employee sex, lawyers and clients sex and so on.

So far the higher courts tend to had rules that such bans run afoul of the US Constitution and I hope this is the next ban that will be rule against.

ehBeth

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 12:06 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
the choice is clear

it's Spendy. Nothing's clear through the bottom of the bottle.
0 Replies