They’re 18 for Gods sake

BillRM

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2012 05:05 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
Have you ever heard a gun go off in anger Bill?

Yes I been in places where gun fire for real is not at all uncommon however none aim directly at me so far.

Had even hear fully auto weapon fire but once more not aim at little old me.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2012 05:06 pm
@BillRM,
Good question, Bill. Last I heard is she was in the cooler.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2012 05:09 pm
@BillRM,
In Texas, a seventeen year old can move out of the parents' house and they cannot compel him her to return. A seventeen year old can choose to have sex. However, a teacher cannot accommodate if it is a student. All within the bounds of discussion.
spendius

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2012 05:17 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
Had even hear fully auto weapon fire but once more not aim at little old me.

Just as I thought.
spendius

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2012 05:19 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
Does anyone know of what her lawyers are doing or saying?

I don't but whatever it was it was useless. They look like they rolled over to me.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2012 05:27 pm
@edgarblythe,
A 17 year old can sign binding contacts and have all the other similar rights of adulthood in Texas such as getting married without a parent permission?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2012 05:28 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
He also allegedly picked the teen up from her home and drove her to a location where he kissed and fondled her.

Sheesh!! There's a programme on Sky News next Friday showing a baby crying wearing a shirt with BORN BANKRUPT on it.

Perhaps they are are jumping up and down about a bit of kissing and fondling to avoid dealing with that sort of thing. They would wouldn't they as being one of the causes.

Quote:
“He’s a dad and a husband and he’s going through a hard time,” said Fallon.

One might have thought his lawyer had the gumption to say "tough time". Or difficult time.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2012 05:31 pm
You are avoiding considering how this fits your arguments on teachers having a right to have sex with students.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2012 05:37 pm
@spendius,
Oh I also been in three large scale riot areas in my life also with the smell of burning buildings being heavy in the air along with the gun fire.

Even drove once deeply into one to get a girlfriend out from her work with a model 1911 45 on the car seat beside me.

On the way out we needed to drive right by a Good Year tire store that had been looted and was burning on NW 27 ave Miami.

Very hard to see or to breathe.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2012 06:09 pm
@ehBeth,
OK then, without asking any specific poster, I'd be interested in a response to this ...

I'd be interested to know what your view of the situation would be if "Coach Colleps" was a male teacher & not a woman teacher ... in other words, would your view of what occurred be any different?

Would you feel any differently if a male homosexual teacher initiated group sex with a group of his male students? If the students thought it was OK & everyone had a great orgasmic experience?

Would you feel any differently if it was a heterosexual male teacher initiating sex with his female students?
Consenting 18 year old students of either sex.

As I said earlier, I wouldn't make any distinction at all between a male or female teacher initiating sex with his/her students, whether they be male or female students. Not while they are in a teacher/student relationship in school, anyway ... to me, the issue remains the power imbalance between adult teachers & the students the teach.

I have read every comment on this thread ... everything from blaming "feminists", condemnatory comments questioning women posters ' attitudes to abortion (which has absolutely nothing to do with the subject), comments sexual repression & the liberating effects of group sex between the teacher & her male students, comments about the rights of 18 year olds consenting under the law, etc, etc, etc ...

I'm genuinely interested in responses from anyone who cares to respond.
Would you feel any differently if the teacher was a male teacher, in other words?

Taking this paragraph from the original article posted early in this thread,
I've changed "she" to "he" & "her" to "him".:

Quote:
One of those students said his relationship began with an innocent text message. "Hey… It's Coach Colleps. Do you know what time the baseball game starts?"

Soon after that the student said that he and Colleps were exchanging almost 100 texts a day. The prosecutor said that the relationship progressed into explicit text messages and then an agreement to meet for sex.

One of the young men he was accused of sleeping with publicly stated that he didn't commit a crime.

"He said that he craved, that I had something that he wanted," said another.

The men were not identified during the trial.

One student testified during sentencing, telling the judge that he did not want to see Colleps go to jail.

"I don't want to see him do jail time, probation is enough for me," said the man. He said he felt responsible for what had happened to Colleps.

Texas Teacher Brittni Colleps Gets 5 Years in Prison in Group Sex Scandal:
http://abcnews.go.com/US/group-sex-scandal-texas-teacher-sentenced-years-prison/story?id=17028716#.UDQVdqDB3Ph

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2012 06:29 pm
Five years is a harsh sentence. Hopefully a judge will step in and cut it down some.
BillRM

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2012 06:31 pm
@msolga,
No adults are adults and the sex life of consenting adults are only the business of the adults involved and that include it not being the business of the state of Texas.
msolga

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2012 06:32 pm
@edgarblythe,
I agree, edgar.
In fact, I wonder what benefit a prison term would actually achieve.
Not that I think the teacher concerned was exactly wise to get herself into this pickle.
BillRM

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2012 06:35 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Five years is a harsh sentence. Hopefully a judge will step in and cut it down some.

Hopefully someone will walk over to the Federal court and apply for a writ of habeas corpus for her.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2012 06:37 pm
@BillRM,
But it can certainly become a problem for the school, Bill!
In all sorts of ways.
I have worked in 2 or 3 schools which have had to deal with the publicity fall-out of cases like this one & it can have a devastating impact, trust me.
msolga

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2012 06:46 pm
@msolga,
And sadly, one of the responses of the education authorities who are responsible for running schools is to make schools even more repressive places.
More rigid "rules" governing teachers' behavior & responsibilities, more red tape ...
That's one of the really unfortunate consequences of "damage control" after yet another of these cases hits the headlines.
That's why I often become very angry with the Coach Collepses of the teaching profession.
The impact, the fall-out, that their behaviour has on whole school communities, the relationships between teachers & their students ...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2012 06:50 pm
@msolga,
I'm certain she will never have another teaching job.
msolga

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2012 06:53 pm
@roger,
I don't think she should, Roger.
But I don't think she should be locked up for 5 years, either.
That doesn't resolve anything.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2012 06:57 pm
@msolga,
Quote:
But it can certainly become a problem for the school, Bill!
In all sorts of ways.
I have worked in 2 or 3 schools which have had to deal with the publicity fall-out of cases like this one & it can have a devastating impact, trust me.

Once more I would have no problem with firing her and either taking away her teaching license or black listing her however the problem come with turning this very unprofessional behavior on her part into any type of criminal offense if there is no minors involve.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2012 08:11 pm
Canada

Loi de 1968-69 modifiant le droit pénal

Bill C150

It decriminalized homosexuality, allowed abortion and contraception, and regulated lotteries, gun possession, drinking and driving offences, harassing phone calls, misleading advertising and cruelty to animals.

future (at that time) Prime Minister Pierre Elliot Trudeau

Quote:
Trudeau famously defended the bill by telling reporters that "there's no place for the state in the bedrooms of the nation", adding that "what's done in private between adults doesn't concern the Criminal Code"

1967. Where has the U.S. been for the last 45 years?