Why do we only concern ourselves with some "rights"?

Foofie

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2012 11:57 am
For example, some say we have a right to a livable wage, or a roof over our heads, or medical treatment, etc., etc. What about the "right" to have tags connected to the teabag string, and not already detached when we open the teabag covering? What about the "right" to have no crumbled cookies, when we open a package of cookies? It just might be that these little "rights," if corrected, would lead to bigger "rights" being corrected?

We might need a list of "small rights" for a candidate to include in his/her campaign promises. Can we develop the beginnings of that list?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,626 • Replies: 4
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2012 12:09 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

For example, some say we have a right to a livable wage, or a roof over our heads, or medical treatment, etc., etc.

Change have to should and you're sentiment would reflect reality.

Quote:
What about the "right" to have tags connected to the teabag string, and not already detached when we open the teabag covering?

Mad Mad I agree!! HEADSSHOULDROLL!!! Mad Mad

Quote:
What about the "right" to have no crumbled cookies, when we open a package of cookies?

We need the UN Declaration Against That's The Way The Cookie Crumbles Noncompliance Sentiment!

Quote:
It just might be that these little "rights," if corrected, would lead to bigger "rights" being corrected?

Preach the truth Foofie!! Mr. Green

0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2012 07:14 pm
@Foofie,
The last time I was in San Francisco, we took a ferry out to Alcatraz island to visit the famous old prison which is now open to the public as a national landmark. There, in the main reception area where the prisoners were processed in when they were brought in from the mainland, hangs a large and impressive sign. On it is printed this:

YOU HAVE A RIGHT TO SHELTER, CLOTHING, FOOD AND MEDICAL CARE. ANYTHING ELSE MUST BE EARNED.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2012 07:23 pm
I really dislike the way advertising convinces us we have all these "rights"

You have the right to headache relief!

Why?
Maybe you did something that totally justifies having a headache.

I think you have a right to something after you have paid your dues.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2012 04:28 pm
"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be held against you."

Last time someone said that to me, I started mumbling, "Beyonce, Cindy Lauper," and on and on.

0 Replies