The Execution of Osama bin Laden: Live on Pay-per-View!

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 01:13 pm
Bin Laden Top for U.S. Pay-Per-View Execution?

NEW YORK (Reuters) - One in five Americans would likely pay to watch a televised execution of al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden if he were found guilty and sentenced to death but more than a third said executions should not be televised, a poll released on Monday said.

A national telephone poll of more than 1,000 people aged 18 or older, done for TRIO cable network by Harris Interactive, asked respondents who they would most likely pay to watch executed if executions were shown on pay-per-view television.

Bin Laden, accused of masterminding the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on the United States, was named by 21 percent of those polled. Former Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein was named by 11 percent.

Thirty-seven percent of those polled said they did not think executions should be televised.

The poll, conducted from Jan. 24 to Jan. 26, had a margin of error of plus or minus 3.1 percentage points.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,535 • Replies: 30
No top replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 04:04 pm
WTF?? Who thinks this rubbish up?

Quote:
"And after a word from our sponsor, Union Carbide manufacturers of lethal-grade potassium cyanide since 1927, we'll get back to the pre-execution entertainment. Let's hear it for the Death's Head Cheerleaders!!!!".
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 04:06 pm
What is really worrying is that only 37 percent said that they felt executions should not be televised. Didn't someone attempt to make the McVeigh execution a televised event? I'm sure many on the "Christian" right would have ringside seats. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 04:07 pm
I'll take the official word for it. I would not pay a penny to see that sucker fried!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 04:16 pm
Execution is barbaric enough.

Wanting to see it takes it beyond my comprehension.

Although, there is something to be said for, if one supports execution, insisting one be in a pool to do the actual killing.

I guess some folk would enjoy that, though...
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 04:21 pm
dlowan wrote:
Execution is barbaric enough.

Wanting to see it takes it beyond my comprehension.

Although, there is something to be said for, if one supports execution, insisting one be in a pool to do the actual killing.

I guess some folk would enjoy that, though...

again, they would probably claim to be "christian." Sad
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 04:24 pm
Ain't just christians who would like to get into this kind of barbarism Hobit. Lots of people support vengeance as a judicial option.

And think of the Islamic countries where barbaric punishments are done in public routinely.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 04:30 pm
dlowan wrote:
Ain't just christians who would like to get into this kind of barbarism Hobit. Lots of people support vengeance as a judicial option.

And think of the Islamic countries where barbaric punishments are done in public routinely.

Yes. Perhaps I should change the comment to "people who are deeply religious." Hatred and violence seem to be the hallmarks of fundamentalism.
0 Replies

Peter Finn

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 04:35 pm
I'm not only in favor of broadcasting his execution, I think I'd like to see the Justice Department put on a lottery to see who gets to do him in. The money raised would defray the thirty years of inevitable appeals by the ACLU and the Southern Poverty Law Center.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 04:38 pm
Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 10:12 am
As I see it, the interesting statistic here is the one that wasn't mentioned in the story: if 21 percent of the people would pay to see bin Laden executed, and 37 percent would not want any execution televised, that means that there's 42 percent unaccounted for. Either these people are undecided ("hmmm, "Everybody Loves Raymond" is on channel 2, but there's an execution on channel 7 -- what to watch?") or else they'd watch the execution only if they didn't have to pay for it. In other words, it's possible that 42 percent of the American people are both bloodthirsty and cheap.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 10:25 am
Something like 60% of us want executions to be televised. Once again you left wingers are in the minority.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 02:23 pm
sadly for humanity, if you are correct...
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 02:38 pm
Re: The Execution of Osama bin Laden: Live on Pay-per-View!
joefromchicago wrote:

Thirty-seven percent of those polled said they did not think executions should be televised.

So, that would mean that approximately 2/3 support the idea. And here's my backup:

http://www.ktvu.com/news/2867788/detail.html
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 05:03 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Something like 60% of us want executions to be televised. Once again you left wingers are in the minority.

60% of who? They allegedly polled 1,000 people - how did they get the ir thousand? What demographic? Where? When did they call, 2am or 2pm? Did they pitch the question to exclude anyone who was NOT in favour of executions, not just televised executions.

More worrying is the 'statistic' that showed that of 630 people, as few as one in five or as many as one in three nominated those two notorious figures - so who the f@cking hell did they want to see publicly executed?? Did they give some names or did they just pick groups of people? "I'd pay good money to see homos/blacks/femininists/Arabs/Jews/cripples/Micheal Jackson publicly executed". Scary.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 05:20 pm
Geesh, it's a Harris Interactive poll with a plus or minus of 3 points. Don't give yourself a hernia.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 05:31 pm
Sorry folks; you don't have to be religious. I'd pay up to $500, depending on where the proceeds were going, to see Bin Laden fry.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 07:36 pm
There's a surprise. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 11:03 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Sorry folks; you don't have to be religious. I'd pay up to $500, depending on where the proceeds were going, to see Bin Laden fry.

While you're waiting you can spend only $11 to see the depiction of a public execution, the result of a poor defense case in 'The Roman Empire v Jesus, son of Jospeh, Nazarrine'. And it's a triple-header!!!!
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 12:04 am
Good grief!! Where do you live that its $11.00 for a movie ticket?? Shocked
0 Replies