Favorite Sports Memories

BillW

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 05:29 pm
What about Horry missing the 3 pointer at the buzzer against the Spurs last year to extend the series - then he gets fired..........
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 05:44 pm
The time Sweden won the ice hockey world champs in Vienna, Austria, in 1987!!! That was a time for celebration, friends! Cuz the last time before that was in '62, in Colorado.

OR, when Björn Borg won his 5th consecutive Wimbledon title... Sweden stood still, everybody watched that match!
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 05:53 pm
Thought we needed a great soccer moment...

http://www.methodshop.com/fun/sports/greatmoments/images/soccer-lift.jpg
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 05:53 pm
What extension..... Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 05:59 pm
The bloop single that did in NYY in the World Series vs. Arizona. I was at my local water hole in Seattle--you'd have thought the Mariners had won, the way nearly everyone roared. Rooting against Steinbrenner can unite a room, I guess.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 06:04 pm
This is a recent one -- cut and paste from December 29th, 2003:

I'm still levitating.

I wasn't up on all of the twists and turns and we went to the bar for just the second half, didn't get why all the Packers fans there (there were a lot of them) were so subdued about all the great stuff going on. (98 yard run by Ahman Green!!) I was just deliriously happy, but I thought at that point that even if the Vikings won, if the Packers won too they had a wildcard berth.

Then (the captions were on thank goodness) I saw one of the commentators say something about how even if the Packers won this game, it was all over if the Vikings won, and I was like WHAT?? Then my attention snapped over to the Vikings game -- two minutes left, Vikings up 17-6. ACK!! Then the crazy stuff started happening. [Vikings were playing Arizona, there was a last-minute grab in the end zone for Arizona to squeak out a win. Geez, the Vikes are good at choking, aren't they?]

So I really got the best of it -- enjoyed almost all of the Packers game not knowing that it was quite possibly futile, and then watched the end of the Vikings game knowing that everything (for the Packers) depended on it. Our Packers section of the bar was standing for that last stretch, and there was a whole lotta yelling, jumping, high-fiving and hugging at the end. And my poor dad slumped on the table in the middle of it all. Lots of conciliatory handshakes and backpats for him, too, though.

Amazing.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 06:21 pm
D'artagnan

That sucked!
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 06:24 pm
Sosa's 98 season!
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 07:09 pm
We left for the El Sombrero at the crack of dawn that day, my friends. We travel to Tampa every year for the game, but the modern-day wagon train of Green and Gold told us right-of-way; this year was going to be special (1997). As we approached the stadium the quantity of Packer fans who'd made the journey was breathtaking. The beer tents were overflowing and there were cheese heads for as far as the eye could see. We chanted "Lambeau South, Home away from Home" on the way into Houlihan Stadium.
By about midway through the first half the only fans you could hear were the faithful from Title Town. You could almost hear the prompts over the loudspeakers, though of course, the Tampa Bay Announcers were playing no such thing. At one point when the score was near even we were praying for a stop and chanting the name of the one man we knew we could count on to get it: "Reggie, Reggie, Reggie" as the Minister of Defense lined up; he apparently heard the crowd chanting his name and he lifted his head and panned the packed stands and then started slowly shaking his head in the affirmative. He beat a double-team and sacked Trent Dilfer on the following play and we knew that victory was our destiny.
There even was a point in the second half, when the Packers were driving and our fans were shouting, "Go Pack go, go Pack go," that Brett Favre had to raise his arms and ask for quiet. This was the single greatest day of my life.
After the game; when we went down town; Cheese head's made up about 90% of the people and the other 10% were too shell-shocked to protest. Wow did we laugh as the sportsbar's TV's were showing the news. Player after player from Tampa was crying about their Fan's being drown out. What a day!
(Read the news story here)http://www.packers.com/team/players/white_reggie/white.jpeghttp://images.packers.com/images/headshots/favre_brett.jpg
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 08:06 pm
Occom, You and your Packers Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 07:39 am
Quote:
Sosa's 98 season!

that one should get an asterisk bcos he used a corked bat.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 07:40 am
NYRangers finally winning the cup in '94...
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 10:49 am
Atlanta finally winning a World Series in '95!
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 10:55 am
Astros finally winning a World Series in '04 Cool
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 10:59 am
that could be a false memory.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 11:10 am
...Because the CUBS win in '04. Very Happy
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 11:53 am
Hey, I'd cheer either of those outcomes--would mean the Yankees didn't win!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 12:15 pm
Yankees will win it. And that will be as it should be, as it was in the beginning, as it will be in the end. You're both dreamin!
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 01:03 pm
http://www.uvm.edu/~jmulroon/Biography%20Page/Red%20Sox%20Logo.gif

[size=7]This could be the year[/size]
This could be the year
This could be the year
This could be the year
This could be the year
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 03:40 pm
Region Philbis wrote:
Quote:
Sosa's 98 season!

that one should get an asterisk bcos he used a corked bat.

You are an ass. Saying that proves to me that you know nothing about Sosa's skill and Sosa's history. AHHH!!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad That garbage makes me so mad!
0 Replies