Roberta

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 06:47 am
Dupre, Evan Rudd, a dog with a mind of his own, and not too great a mind, it would seem. But he sounds like my kind of dog. Unruly, impulsive, and nuts. I like him. Glad the deer didn't hurt either one of you. Also glad to hear of the eye contact, however fleeting.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 07:10 am
Roberta: Miranda sounds like a sweetie! And Mikey? Um . . . how DOES he get even?
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 01:01 pm
Dupre

You don't want to know about getting even. Confused

It's pretty ugly. In my household, it's only if I stray outside the guidelines! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 01:28 pm
Dupre, Miranda could be sweet. But mostly she was very, very smart and very, very bossy.

How does Mikey get even? Sneak attacks mostly. For example, I'm lying in bed on the verge of falling asleep. I'm resting my head on my hand, leaving my arm exposed. I hear thundering pawbeats. A launch onto the bed. A nip at my arm. And a very hasty retreat. (He knows he's not supposed to do that, so he leaves fast. Sometimes so fast that he runs into the wall.) Assuming that the nip is relatively mild, I can't help but laugh. If it's not mild, I don't laugh. I may close the door, or I may shoot him with my super-soaker. No matter what my reaction, one thing is for sure. I'm AWAKE! Shocked
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 01:46 pm
Roberta

I just laughed so much I started to cough! Poss does that, too, but usually somewhere between 2 and 4am! and I'm surely awake Shocked
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 03:55 pm
Yikes! Guerilla attacks from a cat!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 09:28 pm
Dupre, you are a good story teller. And Evan-Rudd, what a substantial name for a dog to carry, must've made him proud!

Roberta, does Mikey still have this skin problem???
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 11:01 pm
Ossobuco, Mikey will alway have the neurodermatosis. It's better than it used to be. He no longer licks himself bloody. But it's still there. Sometimes when he's sleeping, a breeze might move some of his fur. It makes him buzz. I pet him on his head and neck. No pain. Also his giant feet are ok. But his back especially is very sensitive. Poor guy.

I occasionally try to brush him. I don't want to hurt him, but when he's shedding, I think he could use a little help. I have a giant mitten I bought for the express purpose of handling him. It's very thick and designed to be bite-proof. So far, it works.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 11:03 pm
Margo, Mikey and Possum are brothers. Not only do they look alike, but they apply the same assault tactics. It's hard to judge from your avatar, but I'm guessing that Mikey is a tad bigger than Poss. Maybe two tads.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 11:51 pm
This is the first time I've ever had a pet. I rescued Paddy from the Humane Society, because he was fiesty and enthusiastic. I had all sorts of visions of loving a cat and having a cat love me. I got the distinct feeling he appreciated everything but, he doesn't like to be petted or picked up. He nips and bites, and my arms look as though I've been in a hit and run accident, because I insist on picking him up and hugging him, and he doesn't want any part of it. When I walk in the door, he takes off because he knows I'm going to pick him up. What the heck is wrong with him?

He was 15 weeks old when I retrieved him, and he hasn't gotten any better with time, that was 6 mos. ago.

Sometimes I get pissed and leave him alone, I don't talk to him or pet him, then he comes around. He's very sensitive and doesn't like to feel you're mad at him.

I get very frustrated because I want him to be a lap cat, but he has other ideas.

Since I have no experience with pets, I don't know what I can do to make him more affectionate. Maybe get another cat?

Joan Dark, your story had me in stitches!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 02:16 am
Spooky and Nermal are like that, Misti. They do not like to be held. They also don't like to be ignored. So, when I walk by, I'll quickly brush my hand across their jaws, give their tails a quick flip, or maybe rough up their ears (to improve circulaton, you know). When they are hanging out together, I'll give one a long stroke from head to tail, and the other one from tail to head. That's usually what they want. They also favor light strokes on top of the head, or on the throat.

Barney the Office Cat wants to be held. I have yet to find out if he puts a limit on how long he will put up with it.

My experience with a second cat has only been so - so. Spooky was quite affectionate before I got Nermal. Now, it seems he's trying to act the mature, responsible senior cat.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 06:52 am
Misti, Some cats just don't like to be held. In Mikey's case, it hurts him to be touched because he has a problem with the nerves in his skin. You might want to consider having Paddy checked for this. He sounds very much like Mikey. If this is in fact the problem, you will be better able to deal with it. Also, there is some medication that can help a bit.

I'd hold off on the second cat. That could work, or it could be a huge additional problem.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 09:31 am
Misti, my heart goes out to you.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 01:10 pm
Roberta

Poss is quite a large cat, but not huge. When I got him, at 4 months, he had big eyes, ears and feet. He's grown into them, and is quite stocky. When he was last weighed, he was 8kg. He's fined down a bit since then, so is probably about 16-17 lbs, in your language. I was at a friend's place last night, and his fully grown cat, a tabby like Poss, jumped into my lap. She's so tiny - and very active. Her litter sister, who lives down the street, is apparently enormous.

He's high maintenance and attention seeking, though. For those who laugh when I say I follow orders, let me tell you - it's the only sensible way. Don't fret the small stuff - taking orders from a cat is small stuff. Not doing as requested - well - there you have the big stuff.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 02:23 pm
Margo, I'm grateful for the poundage translation. Mikey is over 20 pounds. But he is not an order giver, as Miranda was. He's more of a fit thrower brat. I don't take orders from him--mostly. I gave up trying to resist obeying Miranda. It was a waste of time and energy. She won every time. I ended up doing as I was told. I think my mother was jealous.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 09:40 pm
Thanks guys, your encouragement helps. I will hold off on getting another cat, but I'm sure if one knocked on my door, I'd be right there!
Paddy just seems lonely, and maybe that's more my feelings, not his.
He's really affectionate in other ways, like when he's not feeling good, he'll sleep by my head as opposed to my feet, when he wants to go to bed and I'm surfing, he'll come lay by my feet with his little head resting on my toes.

I'm not too sure he was not abused perhaps, and I don't know that I want to find out.

Whatever happens, he's here for the duration, and we're not going to let anything happen to him. He has won his way into our hearts and he's there for keeps.

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SQDoBL0V7B3GTFgZorduVfTcUoVVl8CdKyW6MTrGT!62QvjxU9Oj91N7gfIQ1Vtz56nkumq9MWimjT4cWunIoNRt38e1kvM4zd4N8D!SF*PBl80aEaLYIQ/Paddy99.BMP?dc=4675388671007160995
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 09:53 pm
I don't think I've ever seen a cat with more toys, Misti. :-D
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 10:54 pm
Jespah, Paddy has hid all his toys since then, now he needs something remote, something he can chase, besides me:)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 11:04 pm
Barney has a nice noisy golf ball he likes real well. A wad of paper works in a pinch.
0 Replies