Roberta

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 10:53 am
Yes, Mikey, my cat, is in the doghouse again. He attacked me. Not an uncommon occurence. This time, there was more than the usual force and fury behind the assault. I countered with a super-soaker and spritzed him enough to get the message across. Evil or Very Mad

Now we're not speaking. He will eventually become contrite. I will eventually forgive him. But right now, we're ignoring each other.

Am I the only one sufficiently demented to feud with a feline? Do you ever get angry enough at your pet that you sulk, feud, ignore, give the cold shoulder?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 7,098 • Replies: 78
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 10:57 am
I never met a cat i liked . . .

(Sorry, so many cat threads, i just had to get that in somewhere.)
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 10:58 am
Hmm, my friends in D.C. had a cat like that, attacked them and their other cats. Now Eli is on Zoloft, kitty dosage proscribed by the vet and is cuddly and not so aggesive.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 11:19 am
Try releasing them in a large, treeless asphalt parking lot, such as WalMart.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 11:34 am
Cjhsa-- Is that a cat gripping your face in your avatar? It looks like you have a cat discipline problem yourself. Oh its a gas mask? Changing the litter box, then. Sorry.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 11:34 am
One of my dogs is has the canine equivalent, I think, of irritable bowel syndrome. There has been a lot of waking up the last couple of nights. I guess I can't blame him, though; at least he's not choosing to spray crap all over the carpet.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 12:08 pm
Yeah. I threw Nermal out the other day for howling and getting rowdy with me in the middle of the night. He was waiting at the door in the morning and has a much better attitude. Nermal is strictly a house cat, by the way.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 12:12 pm
Maybe you should talk to your vet about the kitty behavior, Roberta. He could actually be acting out from pain or discomfort. Or, maybe you could get the zoloft (HA!).
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 12:17 pm
patiodog - your dog may have colitis (we had 3 with it, fortunately not all at the same time). Ask your vet about Science Diet's Canine RD food. Every dog we had LOVED it and it works.

And no, I don't work for 'em.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 12:57 pm
Thanks, jes, will do! Have always just chalked up to the fact that he's such an anxious dog, but perhaps there is a more concrete reason...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 12:58 pm
if he's anxious there's always zoloft. My sister's german short hair is on anti-anxiety pills. She is much more tolerable now!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 01:14 pm
I was just grumping to self about the puppies (now at 40 pounds each, hardly little). It's in and out and in and out, and lately, it's just one in, then the other crying and it comes in. They're into a separation/ anxiety thing. Then one goes out, then crying, then the other goes out. I'm SICK OF IT.

Too bad it is raining and I don't feel like taking them for a walk to wear off this energy.

IN In out OUT. AWKKK.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 01:14 pm
(if you's talking to me, he's getting gradually better w/out meds -- personality-wise, not colon-wise: recovering from a very unsettled and possibly abusive puppyhood.)

but this thread is about an angry cat and human...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 02:04 pm
That Mikey!

What can I say that I havn't already said?

Give him a li'l smack in the chops for me....
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 08:16 pm
Not recently, but when Jenny was a little pup (she's 3 now) she and I often had issues over who was in charge of whom. We actually nicknamed her beelzebub because she could be so totally obnoxious. She's finally decided that it's not a bad life having these humans around to feed, pet and play with her (on demand, too) and will usually perform the little tasks we require to keep us happy with minimum grumbling (though there is still some muttering only half under her breath).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 08:26 pm
I haven't been fully tested yet. Pacco is a good dog. Good dog. Good dog.

He does get into pissing contests in the gallery - no, not on the art work - with Parker the Cocker. They like the white tablecloth on the table in the front room for this. Sue gets madder than I do since they are her tablecloths.

He goes into Feral Cur behavior from time to time and I command him out of it with partial success, which is very annoying, but since he is safely in my car when he explodes into this, I improperly break out laughing until the threat has passed us by, or we have passed it by, as the case may be. I am considering actually using the little seat harness thing I bought six months ago.

But no, I am never mad at him. Yet.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 01:29 am
Hi gang,

I'm curious to know how your pissed-off-ness with your pets manifests itself. Roger threw Nermal out. Sounds about right. Piffka is annoyed at the in and out and out and in. But what do you do? Sulk? Mutter?

Bandylu, so you won the battle of wills. I salute you. I was never able to get to the alpha position with my cat Miranda. She was always numero uno.

Littlek, I won't medicate Mikey for the problem. I've discussed it with the vet. Won't do it.

dlowan, I won't be smacking Mikey in the chops. I tried it. It just makes him more aggressive. The super-soaker is far more effective.

ossobuco, You are, indeed, fortunate to have a pet that does not piss you off. I'm green with envy.

Mikey is currently in the contrite stage. I'm not ready to forgive and forget. Still ignoring him.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 03:49 am
I use to have a cat that attacked me when I was about 13. Strange thing is she would only attack me after I touched another animal somewhere. That cat left some scars until one day my father took her to the pound. We nicknamed her Little Bitch. Of all the cats I ever had, she was the only one like that.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 04:18 am
I was just KIDDING Boida - 'twas a friendly but disapproving tap from me!

I have no helpful suggestions - I never had an animal who attacked me.... well, when I was a weelowan indeed we had a family cat who used to lie in wait under our beds and attack our ankles when we went to bed! It made for interesting ways of getting into bed....
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 07:31 am
You're right, Roberta. Smacking a cat is a total waste of time. They play so rough with each other that anything less than a mortal wound they think you are playing.
0 Replies