Thoughts on the A2K Voting System

RexRed

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 07:50 am
Please fix the a2k voting system. It takes me a couple hours to write, read and proofread many of my comments. I know I am a passive firebrand but I am usually on or near target.

Go to the Family Dollar Store and now you can buy tooth brushes that last a month rather than a day. Two for a dollar! I griped about that and something was done.. I also griped about the petroleum jelly at the Dollar Store not being pure enough and smelling like yucky petroleum. This I bought in the infant section of the store! I got a call from the factory in India one night redirected by the US govt product safety commission. They had an interpreter and I explained the problem...

If posters who do care about my various opinions and see a post that is voted to zero please support me and vote them back up at least to 1 if not out of sympathy then out of spite to the haters. I really don't always expect a rash of support, just not to be hated and totally abandoned to zero. I know I come off harsh and angry sounding sometimes. I am just simply frustrated and don't always have the time to re-read and re-read my often exhaustive posts.

If you have a post that is being attacked, message me and if I find the post to not be really that offensive I will back you up okay?

Not sure how else to address this issue because it seems to always fall on deaf ears.. Yet the readers still come back, I REALLY thank you for that.

One solution: Facebook does not have a vote down button only a vote up (like) button. That would surely resolve this issue. This would stop the haters from voicing general and unrelated hate... and, it leaves the likers to like if they feel so inclined to do so.

If the haters want then to voice hate they will have to come out into the light of day and actually comment on the subject matter. Many things get voted down out of jealousy and spite not because of the actual content of the discussion. This should not be permitted.

This also prevents general animosity where posters here begin to suspect everyone and lash out at all over one or a few haters. It this really good for the general well being of the A2Ker community?

I don't mean this to be hateful to the people moderating this forum or the programmers who have created this great place to socialize...

As for the vote down system of individual posts... Again a vote up would fix this...

Also on Facebook it takes a vote up (like) before things fully appear in your feed... So they could have a partial subject line only until someone likes (expands) the thread... In liking the thread it would be then fully entered into their feed. By expanding the post it would automatically like it and put it in their feed where they could unlike the feed at a later date but this would only subtract their own like and not set it to zero.

Just a suggestion..

Please fix this A2K...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 12 • Views: 4,323 • Replies: 42

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 08:46 am
I voted this up.

I <like> having both the up and down option.
I vote up those things I like and want to read more of, I vote down the spitters, the spiters, the haters and the below average cretins.

I put on ignore those whom I, in my completely impartial mind, choose to.
(especially those who overuse parentheses and end sentences with prepositions. Cool )

Joe(thanks for asking)Nation

ehBeth

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 08:52 am
@RexRed,
Thumbs down don't necessarily mean "hate". I most often use them on threads that I'm not interested in seeing in my feeds. Disinterest, not hate.

(thumbing this thread down after I post)
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 09:26 am
@RexRed,
I mostly am totally indifferent to vote tendency's...the thumb up/down anonymous system even allows me to thumb up people which often are in conflict with me without the benefit of them knowing I did so so they keep their position unbiased...nevertheless I agree with you that some people are all to quick on the trigger...my advise is to just ignore them !
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 09:52 am
@RexRed,
Quote:
I got a call from the factory in India one night redirected by the US govt product safety commission. They had an interpreter and I explained the problem...
That's, like, amazing. Thumbs up!
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 10:01 am
In the 8 years I have been on this forum I think I have voted about 10 threads down... 10... and voted about maybe 40 comments down that were truly hateful.

A vote of disinterest should not reflect on the treads overall value... It should just exempt them from the discussion.

Yesterday when speaking to the man in England in my 'California...' thread I think he was from England, I did not vote any of his comments down... although I surely disagreed with him, someone else did that voting... It crossed my mind. I am a nice guy, I give up my seat on the bus to overweight people, the elderly, women and/with children while others sit on the outside seat so no one can sit next to them.

In Rome a thumbs down meant a person was condemned to death. Kinda harsh wouldn't you say?

The ten times I voted down threads were only because I thought they were voting down mine... In hindsight now they were probably not. See how this breeds unconnected misdirected hate?

I think I have made myself clear in how the zero vote is both insulting and creates undue animosity within this social community.

There must be a better way of doing things where this can be avoided. How about separate unsubscribe and vote up buttons? How about throwing in the white flag and a compromise here?

Just saying this current voting system is confusing and in my humble and modest opinion, not best way to go. Believe me it is not fun for me telling people how to do things... I don like always being the heavy... It does not help my public image and my nearly nonexistent music sales either.

I am all for the vote up, but the vote down could really use some modification... People can say the same thing by either unsubscribing or voting up stuff.

I am not trying to muscle my way to the top I am satisfied if people don't like what I post...

I am not sure I disagree with the vote down button in the discussion themselves I am not completely decided on that one. We could still get by here with just a vote up. The posters here would never have to exercise hate and the trolls will just have to live with the fact that people like other's posts better and no one ever likes what they have to say. Block people all you want I am all for that.

By voting a thread itself down is saying I dislike this, and disliking something is just a slight shade away from masking hate... (Again, that is my opinion.)
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 10:08 am
any sort of internet rating system is ridiculous, and the fact that people get so caught up in them is more ridiculous

RexRed

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 10:23 am
On Facebook every so often I get someone who posts a comment in my feed asking Facebook for vote down or dislike buttons. I never "like" their request. This would (in my opinion) ruin Facebook... I know in my heart this request was posted by the "bullies" of which I have none that I know of in my over a thousand (mostly gay) friends there.

Positive change takes boldness and a willingness to set your course against the prevailing wind. RR
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 10:26 am
@RexRed,
I wonder Rex if you’ve observed as I have that the typical American or at least the ones drawn to the Internet seem terribly angry at all times about almost everything
djjd62

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 10:27 am
@dalehileman,
i prefer to think of myself as contrary, not angry
djjd62

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 10:28 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:
i prefer to think of myself as contrary, not angry

but i'm not an american
RexRed

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 10:35 am
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

I wonder Rex if you’ve observed as I have that the typical American or at least the ones drawn to the Internet seem terribly angry at all times about almost everything

There are probably a lot of reasons for various people to be angry. But yes, agreed, there are a lot of people constantly hating out there on both sides of the isle.

I remember my mother, when she was alive. If I could make it through her initial rant without getting angry myself she would most often switch at some point and say, "You know I love you." and smile.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 10:46 am
@djjd62,
...it must be the all or nothing, looser/winner, bipolar effect they tend to use to classify people around...not to mention an obsession with objective responsibility accountability where often there is none...the upside being an reasonable efficient economy...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 10:55 am
@djjd62,
I think you're wrong, wrong, wrong . . . unfortunately, i automatically voted the thread down when i saw RR had authored it, so i won't be able to discuss that with you.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 11:22 am
@djjd62,
Quote:
any sort of internet rating system is ridiculous, and the fact that people get so caught up in them is more ridiculous

Amen!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 11:47 am
Quote:
It takes me a couple hours to write, read and proofread many of my comments.

You're working too hard.

This site (i do love it so) is not going to change anything.

Joe(It won't even change the world's diaper.)Nation
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 11:58 am
I would prefer the middle finger, rather than the thumb.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 12:17 pm
@RexRed,
I don't like the thumbs up and thumbs down voting, and I don't use it.

I'd rather people post their views regarding agreement or disagreement with other poster's comments, rather than just clicking a thumb to turn it into a popularity poll. I find those numbers pretty meaningless.

0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 01:27 pm
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought sites like this generated revenue by the number of 'clicks' they receive. So, it just makes sense to employ a rating system that requires more clicking. Right?

Irish(click away)K

RexRed

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 06:24 pm
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought sites like this generated revenue by the number of 'clicks' they receive. So, it just makes sense to employ a rating system that requires more clicking. Right?

Irish(click away)K

Maybe the amount of overall clicks matter to a sites shareholders, if it has them, but "clicks" refer to ads clicked on not clicks in general. You know the ads when your mouse rests over them for more than a second and a thingie pops up marketing a product? Clicks in general usually only slow down their servers causing them to have to go out and buy more servers which only adds to the sites overhead cost... Too many click is like an overloaded operator switchboard, then you need a bigger network to handle the excess traffic. This slows the network down making the site slow resulting in long page load times.
0 Replies